The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
The other night my dad and I enjoyed a small selection of decent whiskies. In order of preference;
1. Bladnoch Classic Collection, 47%
2. Nikka From The Barrel, 51%
3. Yoichi Single Malt, 45%
4. Ardbeg Wee Beastie, 47%
5. Bladnoch Pure Scot, 53%

The top two were really close, both being fantastic drams. It was a great tasting.
Talisker whiskey its a good one.

Soldato
Of course, but could and would? I can't see it myself. But still (no pun intended) I don't think triple distilled is the be all end all, but I do like it.
Most scotch which is triple distilled will go through two stills (twice through the spirit still), it's generally the way that Scottish distilleries operate.
Irish distilleries tend to have three stills.
Lindores abbey have three stills, one pot and two spirit stills, the whisky only ever goes through two of them...
I think there might also be some SWA rules which also have issues with using more than two stills... But that might be a myth!

Associate
Most scotch which is triple distilled will go through two stills (twice through the spirit still), it's generally the way that Scottish distilleries operate.
Lindores abbey have three stills, one pot and two spirit stills, the whisky only ever goes through two of them...
I think there might also be some SWA rules which also have issues with using more than two stills... But that might be a myth!

My reply was in reference to you saying 1 still, which I think would be rather unusual! lol

With regard to Lindores Abbey, do you mean that the whisky goes through the two spirit stills simultaneously as they seem to imply this?

Soldato
My reply was in reference to you saying 1 still, which I think would be rather unusual! lol

With regard to Lindores Abbey, do you mean that the whisky goes through the two spirit stills simultaneously as they seem to imply this?
Yeah, it all goes through the pot still then half goes in each spirit still, the smaller the still the more contact with copper...

Associate
This part in bold confuses me. Should that be 1 wash and 2 spirit stills, as they should all be pot stills? Or do they actually have 1 pot and 2 column stills, which would mean it's single grain whiskies they make, like the Loch Lomond single grain?

Soldato
This part in bold confuses me. Should that be 1 wash and 2 spirit stills, as they should all be pot stills? Or do they actually have 1 pot and 2 column stills, which would mean it's single grain whiskies they make, like the Loch Lomond single grain?
you're right, 1 wash and 2 spirit, too many technical terms! definitely not like the Loch Lomond (their stills are pretty crazy!)
Interesting. How do you find that impacts on flavour? I'm on the lookout for something different.

As far as my relatively amateur knowledge base goes... more copper contact should give a lighter/more fruity flavour in the spirit

Associate
you're right, 1 wash and 2 spirit, too many technical terms! definitely not like the Loch Lomond (their stills are pretty crazy!)

As far as my relatively amateur knowledge base goes... more copper contact should give a lighter/more fruity flavour in the spirit

I'll maybe give it a try then, thanks.

Soldato
I had to help a friend with a whisky present for his boss who was leaving. In doing so I ended up with a jolly basket of my own: Three signatory whiskies from various origins, and a tasting set of 5x30ml single malts, the latter just £15 in a flash sale. I've just finished an Old Pulteney and cask strength Bunnahabhain so now working out which of the new ones to open next. So much for my Whisky buying ban for 2022... ;S

Soldato
So the tasting set has:
Glendronach 12
Ledaig 10
Bladnoch 11
Craigellachie 10
Mortlach 12

Looking forward to finding a night to work through these! I will need to look up some details to work out an order. Does anyone know if any of these are heavier/peated types?

Associate
Just looking and first page and holy crap how I wish the Lagavulin 16yr (my all time favourite) was still £40 a bottle haha, more like £70-80 now. Can anyone recommend anything similarly powerful and heavily peated (like a bonfire in my mouth) that I might enjoy that's also a bit cheaper?

Soldato
Just looking and first page and holy crap how I wish the Lagavulin 16yr (my all time favourite) was still £40 a bottle haha, more like £70-80 now. Can anyone recommend anything similarly powerful and heavily peated (like a bonfire in my mouth) that I might enjoy that's also a bit cheaper?
Ardbeg Wee Beastie or Laphroaig 10. Both powerful and peaty, but not quite as distinguished as Laga 16. But accordingly, both more affordable.

Back
Top Bottom