*** The official 2018 MacBook Pro thread (it has six cores and everything!) ***

Soldato
I find the performance of Fusion compared to Parallels somewhat lacking, even more so with Fusion 11. Initial releases of it were a mess.

Now, I wouldn't say I see an awful lot of performance difference between my i7 2017 16Gb unit, and my i9 32Gb unit running 1 or 2 VMs tbh. What I do get from the i9 is that I can run my entire demo suit of 7/8 VMs...and I couldn't do that on the i7. So it scales OUT better.

I was about to post write a longer version of the above, glad I refreshed first! :D

In short: I use Parrells for Windows VM's and for all my Linux VM's I use Fusion as they have no GUI and it integrates with my VM homelab.

Man of Honour
Hmm. Do I get full access if I got the trial?

It's annoying as there's only three apps on Windows I need (ISE for work and two car related apps).

Man of Honour
I'll give it a go. Windows is fully licensed, I presume there's some form of VM import feature I can do? Then again doesn't Windows license on hardware, which will change. Investigation needed.

Thanks all.

Soldato
When I've exported/imported VM's I always end up with license issues. It will be easier to test if you have a space Windows key you can activate/deactivate.

Soldato
I would have thought a 2013 dual core would be pretty slow by modern standards when throwing VM’s it and doing proper work.

Even though you are not capping the cpu utilisation I would expect there is something g bottlenecking it. Integrated GPUs of that era are also ‘not great’.

I would expect you would get a fairly significant performance upgrade if you updated to a 6 core i7. Not only is each core 30-40% faster at the same clock speed you also have 3x as many, they are clocked higher and better at turbo. This is alongside other improvements to cache and virtualisation workloads that come with each generation.

Soldato
Apologies I mixed up 13” and 2017 :D

So completely disregard most of the above!

The only thing to consider is the RAM hitting 14gb the system may be paging if you have other apps open. But as other have said it may well be the software.

You may well benefit from extra cores and a proper GPU but not as much as if you were using a 2013 of course. Upgrading would deal with any general choppy ness when multitasking if VMware is using 50% of the entire cpu.

Man of Honour
It turns out I had Parallels 7 and 8 licenses so I'll most likely upgrade one of those for the £40 it costs and not go out tonight. :D

There is an improvement that's for sure, however Parallels has only configured it with 2GB or RAM vs 4GB I had in Fusion so that may be a factor.

I know I need 32GB as I'm doing a lot of multitasking and I'm having to close applications to stop it paging so 32GB is inevitable, but I don't want to buy last years model due to age and also keyboard concerns so I'd rather wait if I can.

Soldato
Would be nice, although it was a 4 year cycle for the last major refresh (2012-2015), so another 4 years would put the current chassis at 2016-2019, with a refresh in 2020.

I guess we'll find out in June or October though.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Yeah, that will be interesting. I wonder if they'll test the water by putting them in the ultraportable Macbooks first, before putting a super powerful version or mutliple chips to make a pro-laptop with them in.

Soldato
Apparently there's an even beefier 8 core mobile i9 with 4.8Ghz turbo due out from Intel this year, so perhaps there will be a chassis overhaul to cope with it.

I doubt it, the Alienware 17m's are struggling even with much bigger pipes and fans.

I have a late-2013 Macbook Pro and I am waiting this refresh but I will be happy with a nice quad core on Pro 13. If i don't jump this year i will be tempted to wait another year to see if a AMD 7nm CPU/GPU combo arrives in the Macbook Pro.

Back
Top Bottom