*** The official 2019 MacBook Pro thread (it has eight cores and everything!) ***

Man of Honour
Quiet you! At least you get a MBP and not a poverty spec Lenovo.
Haha, I get a choice between a MacBook and a Dell Precision. As I'm a delivery consultant we get the 'developer model' which comes with the 6 core base CPU, 32GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD. I think our refresh cycle is 3 years but since we buy large amounts of stock from Apple at a time, by the time we get them issued they've most likely been sat in a warehouse for up to a year. I joined in August this year and mine is the 2018 model as it was in the batch ordered in Febuary. Same story with the phones. If it is is three years, I'll get a new one in August 2022 and it'll likely be the 2021 model which I'd have thought would be the second iteration of the 16" model unless they change the chassis. The good thing about my company, is that when I get a new one, the current one will be unenrolled and is mine to do with as I see fit.

Soldato
One thing which is a bit of a negative is the lack of WIFI6 802.11ax on the new 16" MacBook. Not really a problem right now but it could be annoying not having it a year our two from now!

Soldato
One thing which is a bit of a negative is the lack of WIFI6 802.11ax on the new 16" MacBook. Not really a problem right now but it could be annoying not having it a year our two from now!

it’s because intel don’t have onboard WiFi 6, so they would need a discrete card. Real world difference is minimal.

So glad it came out as I was just about to buy a maxed 15 inch, now for the same money, double the memory, double the drive and beefier battery and gpu.

sad that it’s 2 week wait as my 2016 has broken.

WcCLX1G_d.jpg

Soldato
it’s because intel don’t have onboard WiFi 6, so they would need a discrete card. Real world difference is minimal.

I figured it might be due to the Intel chipset they used not having support for it. Granted it'll make no difference right now but it would have been nice to have for future proofing purposes.

Would love to hear your thoughts when your new laptop arrives :cool:

Does anyone know if any sites have published benchmarks of the new i9 CPU and AMD 5500M GPU?

Last edited:
Soldato
I figured it might be due to the Intel chipset they used not having support for it. Granted it'll make no difference right now but it would have been nice to have for future proofing purposes.

Would love to hear your thoughts when your new laptop arrives :cool:

Does anyone know if any sites have published benchmarks of the new i9 CPU and AMD 5500M GPU?
I think the cpu options are the same, just with less thermal throttling due to new thermal headroom.

GPU about 10-15% faster for equivalent.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Looks good, but I have no interest in paying that much for the pro when I don't even need something that powerful.

Thing is im torn, I want the macbook air as its cheaper and does the job for me just fine, but there are some features of the pro that seem so much better on paper like the better processor etc etc. The air in terms of specs seems not good enough for this day and age.

Im in no rush to get a macbook, so ill probably hold off and wait for next years air model and go for that.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

13” pro sounds like what you want...

Would I be better off waiting for the inevitable 14" model though? Seems like the 16" model is a big upgrade over the 15" in several different ways including the keyboard.

Im in no rush to buy, so I may just wait a year and see what other variants are released and go from there.

Just did a quick comparison of the air and the 13" pro, and for just slightly more money, it seems like a no brainer to go for the smaller pro

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

There were plenty of rumours about the 16" version, has there been anything whatsoever about a 14" MBP?

I haven't heard any personally, but it feels like the natural next step for the MBP line. The form factor of the 15 vs 16 was kept relatively the same, with the increased screen size mainly coming from smaller bezels, Id assume that the same is going to happen to the 13inch variant if I were to hazard a guess

Back
Top Bottom