Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
This is the main thing, people get so caught up in looking at this as a 'this is bad', but unless you're regularly getting the beach ball, or other issues it really doesn't matter if you're swapping etc.
Fair point. I really haven't noticed it, other than the odd occasion where it's taken perhaps half a second longer than I would have expected it to. The M1 SOC is so performant, even with the base 8GB RAM spec that perhaps you could even argue expectations are inflated and any swap wouldn't be noticeable if the system performed like it did on the Intel platform, for example.

Soldato
Does it matter? Depends if it effects the NVME. I have no idea.
Swap would increase wear but unless the MBA's swap is getting hammered day in day out, then i doubt it would cause any noticeable effect over the typical lifetime of the device.

@squerble - As others have said, unless you notice serious performance issues then just carry on. Obviously when you do upgrade in the future, then looking at adding a few RAM and storage options to the Mac given your usage.

Associate
Didn't want to create another thread I've just purchased a baseline 16 M3 Pro MBP and I'm encountering a weird issue - according to the website it should support 2 external screens but when I'm plugging them into my dock it will only duplicate onto 2 screens instead of extending. The monitors in question are a 27inch Dell 1440p 165HZ and the other is a cheapy 1080P 165HZ jobby - could it be an issue of the dock not being able to support the high refresh rates of both monitors hence the duplication? The weird thing is the 1080P monitor seems to take precedence and the Dell monitor isn't listed in the settings menu. To say I'm confused is an understatement.

I'm just using a cheapy dell dock that I use from work so this could be the issue but before I fork out another £200 for a decent dock thought it would be a good idea to see if anyone else has encountered this before?

Associate
I have a Macbook Air 2020 i5 version but thinking of going for an M2 Air.
Is the M3 version due in March ? and do you think the M2 will get a discount once the M3 is released ?

Man of Honour
I have a Macbook Air 2020 i5 version but thinking of going for an M2 Air.
Is the M3 version due in March ? and do you think the M2 will get a discount once the M3 is released ?
Personally I think you would likely not notice any real world difference between an M1, M2 or M3 Air, especially if coming from an Intel i5.

Associate
Personally I think you would likely not notice any real world difference between an M1, M2 or M3 Air, especially if coming from an Intel i5.
Really ? i thought everyone was raving about these new chips :confused: My only concern about them is no fan in these new M chip Airs.
Although the one in the i5 does very little to cool it down.

Commissario
OP
Really ? i thought everyone was raving about these new chips :confused: My only concern about them is no fan in these new M chip Airs.
Although the one in the i5 does very little to cool it down.
In normal use, you won’t really notice and difference between an M1 or M2 MacBook Air but even the base model M1 will run rings around your i5 MBA.

No need to be concerned about the lack of fan. I never once felt my M1 MBA get warm and I think I’ve only felt the M2 get slightly warm just once or twice. They don’t need fans because they run cold!

Soldato
I am a bit late to the game but I just bought a base MacBook Air M1 and what a superb little machine. I am very impressed with the battery life.

20jZpkG.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom