Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters
Commissario
OP
I cancelled the order I made a couple of minutes after the presentation and re-ordered using my wife's discount link which took nearly £90 off. It's not quite educational discount but it's better than nothing and the delivery date is unchanged from the 25th November.

a816Ps9.png

Commissario
OP
So the choice between Air and Pro is simple: If you don't put it on sustained load for more than 10 minutes, the thermal capacity of the Air's design is capable of absorbing the heat while sustaining peak performance and you don't need the fan in the Macbook Pro.
That's me. I doubt I've ever got this MB warm enough to throttle.

Commissario
OP
I've just had the shipped email with the tracking info that says it's in Eindhoven which is utter rubbish, it's not there yet. I can guarantee that the tracking won't change until Monday or Tuesday next week when it actually gets there.

Commissario
OP
The screen is a fair bit brighter in the MBP though isn't it?
The MacBook Air is 400 nits (same as the previous model) compared to the MacBook Pro which is 500 nits (same as the previous model).

The new ones both have Wide colour (P3) whereas the old Air was just Full standard colour (sRGB)

Commissario
OP
The screen on my wife’s older MacBook Air is sub standard, especially for how much it cost. She says it’s perfectly fine where as it would annoy the hell out of me.
When I bought my first Apple laptop back in 2009 (ish), I spent a lot of time comparing models and the screen on the Air was much worse than the MBP and that really was the deciding factor.

The 2016 MB I'm typing this on is 327 nits so the new Air will be an improvement for me but I'll probably never even notice as it's very rare for the brightness to be at maximum.

Commissario
OP
I've never tried a Mac OS device but for some reason the M1 Macbook Air does intrigue me.
The Apple fourteen day return is ideal for you - If you're in the market for a laptop and are prepared to give it a try then you have the safety of knowing you can return it for a full refund if you're not happy for up to a fortnight.

Commissario
OP
I went for the 16gb, 8 core GPU 512GB air. Replacing an older 12" m7 - 16GB 12" Macbook, I was waiting for the new shapes but I am curious about the performance of these and it seems they don't want to release another 12 :(
That's exactly the spec I've ordered and replacing exactly the same model MacBook. I'm in Essex and it looks like they were shipped on the same day.
Yet yours appears to have come by a different method because that doesn't look like DHL to me. Odd.

Back
Top Bottom