Poll: *** The official 2021 iPad Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

The new M1 iPad Pro - Are you getting one?

• Total voters
Soldato
11 incher with the mini LED display is out next year if you believe the pinch of salt brigade and are prepared to wait until then.

I’m not convinced that Mini LED is that much of a reason to wait, given the low light blooming. Maybe when Apple move to OLED for their iPads it would be more of a big thing.

Soldato
Apparently not as I've used it.

refund policy here

Push them, and quote DSR - I am pretty sure that despite their 'refund policy' they are trumped by government regulation.

Online, mail and phone order sales
Online, mail and telephone order customers have the right to cancel their order for a limited time even if the goods are not faulty. Sales of this kind are known as ‘distance selling’.

You must offer a refund to customers if they’ve told you within 14 days of receiving their goods that they want to cancel. They have another 14 days to return the goods once they’ve told you.

You must refund the customer within 14 days of receiving the goods back. They do not have to provide a reason.

Soldato
DSR doesn't give you the right to open and use it. You have to return it in re-saleable condition, open and used is not re-saleable as new.

You have the right to inspect as you could in a shop but not use. No shop would allow you to pop the seal on a magic keyboard on the off chance you night buy it. Some shops may have a demo unit on hand for you to try, but again, that doesn't mean you can pop the seal and use a retail product and then expect to return it under DSR.

If some stores let you use the product, like Apple's no questions asked 14 day return policy, that's their policy and it's over and its well over above your statutory rights.

TLDR - don't be disappointed if they say no because they are well within their right to.

EDIT: its not actually called DSR anymore, rather the consumer protection regulations or something like that.

Last edited:
Soldato
DSR doesn't give you the right to open and use it. You have to return it in re-saleable condition, open and used is not re-saleable as new.

This isn’t true. Aside from certain obvious exclusions like bespoke items, you can return any item bought online within 14 days without having to give a reason. If you disagree, I’d be very interested to see a link from the .gov website which supports your assertion. (You won’t find one).

JL have been playing this trick of denying consumers their rights for some time and they really need a regulator telling them to stop.

Soldato
Wait, so let me get this right I can go buy anything online. Use it for a week and then return it? No questions asked?

That doesn’t make sense to me. What are JL in this case meant to do with a used magic keyboard that isn’t faulty? Do they just return it to apple and they’d sell it as reconditioned?

I’m genuinely curious as there’s a loads of stuff I’d be buying to try then take back if I don’t like it. Basically try before you buy with everything.

Soldato
This isn’t true. Aside from certain obvious exclusions like bespoke items, you can return any item bought online within 14 days without having to give a reason. If you disagree, I’d be very interested to see a link from the .gov website which supports your assertion. (You won’t find one).

JL have been playing this trick of denying consumers their rights for some time and they really need a regulator telling them to stop.

Guidance on gov.U.K. isnt law and it isn’t detailed enough to cover any circumstance. Most of it is grossly simplified to the point it’s negligent. In this case it only sets out the broad principle of the distance selling regulations, for example it doesn’t even mention in what condition the goods have to be returned in. In theory, by your logic, you could order something online, smash it to pieces and return it for a full refund within 14 days under distance selling regulations which is an utter nonsense.

I’d suggest you go and read the legislation or at least an article written and checked by a lawyer on what your rights actually are. MSE have an article on this which sets out your rights in more detail but even then it’s fairly high level.

Wait, so let me get this right I can go buy anything online. Use it for a week and then return it? No questions asked?

That doesn’t make sense to me. What are JL in this case meant to do with a used magic keyboard that isn’t faulty? Do they just return it to apple and they’d sell it as reconditioned?

I’m genuinely curious as there’s a loads of stuff I’d be buying to try then take back if I don’t like it. Basically try before you buy with everything.

No. The goods have to be returned in a condition which the vendor can resell them as new. They can absolutely charge you a fee if that isn’t the case. Retailers can offer a better returns policy, but that is the minimum.

E.g. you can try on a jacket (as long as you don’t remove the labels) but you can’t open and build a Lego set to see if you like it.

Soldato
Funnily enough when JL pulled this trick when I tried to return a mobile phone, they couldn’t quote anything at all which supported their assertion that it couldn’t be used in any way shape or form. My credit card company sided with me without argument and I got my money back.

I’ll take anything on gov.uk as legally accurate and not merely guidance, even if it is top level stuff. I notice that b0rn2sk8 still offers nothing to back up what he’s passing as fact. What people want to be consumer law or what they believe should be consumer law isn’t the same thing as actual consumer law.

I’d suggest ChrisD doesn’t spend hours arguing with JL or escalating his complaint (the outcome won’t change) and just requests a chargeback.

Soldato
Guidance on gov.U.K. isnt law and it isn’t detailed enough to cover any circumstance. Most of it is grossly simplified to the point it’s negligent. In this case it only sets out the broad principle of the distance selling regulations, for example it doesn’t even mention in what condition the goods have to be returned in. In theory, by your logic, you could order something online, smash it to pieces and return it for a full refund within 14 days under distance selling regulations which is an utter nonsense.

I’d suggest you go and read the legislation or at least an article written and checked by a lawyer on what your rights actually are. MSE have an article on this which sets out your rights in more detail but even then it’s fairly high level.

No. The goods have to be returned in a condition which the vendor can resell them as new. They can absolutely charge you a fee if that isn’t the case. Retailers can offer a better returns policy, but that is the minimum.

E.g. you can try on a jacket (as long as you don’t remove the labels) but you can’t open and build a Lego set to see if you like it.

I thought as much, it did sound too good to be true. It just didn’t add up at all that you can just go around buying items to try then return them. It’d be great if that was the case but that would just be utter carnage. You’d never ever actually buy and own anything.

Hosting a dinner party? Go buy new oven, plates, table then return them without saying anything.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I think the guidance here is that you can use an item as you would in a store to decide if you want to buy it. So many times I’ve opened something to decide the quality isn’t up to scratch.

I’ve never had an issue returning something I’ve bought online that I have opened. I always return them in like new condition.

JL are being a pain but they should take it back if it’s in new condition. Just tell them you’re not happy with the performance and quality.

Soldato
I’ll take anything on gov.uk as legally accurate and not merely guidance, even if it is top level stuff. I notice that b0rn2sk8 still offers nothing to back up what he’s passing as fact. What people want to be consumer law or what they believe should be consumer law isn’t the same thing as actual consumer law.

I’d suggest ChrisD doesn’t spend hours arguing with JL or escalating his complaint (the outcome won’t change) and just requests a chargeback.

I never said what was on gov.uk was wrong, what I said is that it is grossly simplified. The actual regulations are about 30 pages long all summed up in about 50 words on gov.uk.

The right to cancel is akin to a cooling off period, not a right to try before you buy. Once you start using the product, your right to cancel goes away because you've accepted the product or service. But as said come retailers give you additional rights under the terms of the contract (e.g. Apple's no questions asked, use it as much as you like, 14 day policy) but they don't have to do this.

There is a pretty good write up here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/

Or here:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-ri...w-do-i-use-it-to-cancel-an-order-avk4B3g0YAuH

I think the guidance here is that you can use an item as you would in a store to decide if you want to buy it. So many times I’ve opened something to decide the quality isn’t up to scratch.

I’ve never had an issue returning something I’ve bought online that I have opened. I always return them in like new condition.

JL are being a pain but they should take it back if it’s in new condition. Just tell them you’re not happy with the performance and quality.

Sort of, you can't use the item but you can inspect it as you would in a shop. Generally that means you can look at the item so that you can see a white keyboard for an iPad is a white keyboard for an iPad, generally speaking you don't need to open the packaging and use it to determine that and doesn't give you the right to use it.

Goods not being of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose are two different reasons to return goods but they are not DSR. They don't really apply here because the poster hasn't said there is anything wrong with the product. They've just got buyers remorse after using it for a bit but that doesn't give them the right to return. That said if you quote those words, most retailers will just accept a return because its frankly easier and makes business sense to do so than continuing to argue with the customer.

Retailers know that if you push customers away in these circumstances, they go elsewhere (like Amazon, who don't give two hoots about returns) and don't come back. Therefore they often accept returns outside of what they are required to do by law or outside of any additional terms that you agreed to as part of the contract.

As said, the poster should just persist and JL will probably accept the return eventually because frankly its the thing that will cost them the least money in the long term but that doesn't mean they are infringing your statutory rights.

Last edited:
Associate
I really like the idea of the iPad Pro being a more streamlined and complimentary digital device for everyday life... but I fear that having one plus a MBP just means I end up using the MBP all the time anyway, since the new M models are so light and cool. I also agree that the form factor of laptops helps in many ways, as the screen can stay propped up at any position.

I think something that would really help is if Handover or Continuity was absolutely perfect. As in safari tabs stayed identical across devices or something.

Back
Top Bottom