Poll: *** The official 2021 iPad Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

The new M1 iPad Pro - Are you getting one?

• Total voters
Associate
Kind of annoying especially as they used the 16GB as a selling point. Glad I only got the 8GB 11”…..

I dunno, did they? They had it on the edge of one slide in the original keynote presentation, then after that I haven’t seen them mention it again - it’s certainly not listed in the specs on the store page. It’s mainly YouTubers and forum posts that have been upselling the extra RAM, rather than Apple.

Soldato
I dunno, did they? They had it on the edge of one slide in the original keynote presentation, then after that I haven’t seen them mention it again - it’s certainly not listed in the specs on the store page. It’s mainly YouTubers and forum posts that have been upselling the extra RAM, rather than Apple.

It’s pretty clear on the store page under specifications.

Soldato
At the very least you'll get an extra year of software updates out of the M1 and it'll likely be noticeably zippier than the A12Z in 4 or 5 years. The extra is probably money well spent if you'll keep the device for a while.

I’ve noticed it's far faster already in metrics such as app loading times, startup, updates etc. Sure, I would have probably been fine with an 8GB model but I’m still very happy with my purchase. The speed improvements are phenomenal.

Man of Honour
Went for the 12.9" 1TB model, most likely overkill for my needs (watching Plex, Sky, Twitch etc) however it was on 0% so thought **** it. I'm actually looking forward to using it as another monitor for my work Mac and how that would work. I've also ordered the Apple Magic Keyboard for £174.50 from John Lewis.

Man of Honour
I found the iPad in stock on Amazon for delivery tomorrow so I've ordered that and cancelled the Apple order. I'm not entirely sure if I will want to keep it, I got the Magic Keyboard yesterday and it's pretty large!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I found the iPad in stock on Amazon for delivery tomorrow so I've ordered that and cancelled the Apple order. I'm not entirely sure if I will want to keep it, I got the Magic Keyboard yesterday and it's pretty large!

If you're like me, you will want a case away from the Magic Keyboard for normal tablet stuff. When you want to engage laptop mode, that's when the MK comes in handy. I'd also consider a skin for the MK, the material is a PITA for collecting permanent oil/marks.

Man of Honour
Cheers, I'll have a look around for cases. I don't really need the Magic Keyboard thinking about it, I use my M1 Air for anything laptop related. But I guess it'll be nice for when I do go travelling again.

Man of Honour
After a few days with it, I think I'm sending it back. The screen is gorgeous and it's fast, however:
  • Any 'Pro' tasks I do on my MacBook Air M1 (I prefer a laptop form factor for this)
  • I generally only use my iPad for watching videos (Plex, YouTube, Twitch etc)
  • It's really expensive and I can't really justify it
  • My ageing QNAP NAS doesn't support the new OS QNAP are releasing so I need to replace that (which I use more) with either a custom build or new QNAP
A shame really, as it would have been the ideal travel companion for holidays, but I struggle to see the need beyond my already excellent 2018 11" Pro. Sadly my 11" does have a cracked screen and it's in excess of £400 to get it replaced by Apple! I need to figure out if it's more cost effective to sell it as is and buy a new model 11" of the same spec or to just swallow the cost and have it repaired.

Man of Honour
Yes, the 1Tb version is really expensive. Despite all the other things you've said, what about the base model 12.9" or the 11" version? They're nowhere near as expensive and would probably do you perfectly well.

2020 11” would be a good buy.

I hear you both. But my 2018 model is also perfectly fine for my uses after having a proper think. Then again I don't know how long that'll stay 'fast' and in support. I do occasionally do some photo editing but it's not often, as I said main uses would be watching videos. Plus web browsing etc.

Soldato
I hear you both. But my 2018 model is also perfectly fine for my uses after having a proper think. Then again I don't know how long that'll stay 'fast' and in support. I do occasionally do some photo editing but it's not often, as I said main uses would be watching videos. Plus web browsing etc.

I've got the previous gen to you (pro 10.5) and it does all that perfectly well for me. I've got the dev ios15 on and it's still perfectly fine, I haven't noticed any difference what so ever in day to day use.

It's annoying that you've cracked the screen, I'd just continue to use it until the battery gives up the ghost or it's no longer supported. That's the update cycle i'm going with for the ipad (unless it's legitimately slow and frustrating to use).

Man of Honour
It's annoying that you've cracked the screen, I'd just continue to use it until the battery gives up the ghost or it's no longer supported. That's the update cycle i'm going with for the ipad (unless it's legitimately slow and frustrating to use).
That's one thing I've thought about, literally running it into the ground and then replacing like for like when it finally gives up.

Soldato
I can't imagine needing to upgrade my 11" model, I've had it since it was released and it's still quick as ever. I'd love one of the new ones, but that's just the tech in me that loves shiny new hardware.

Back
Top Bottom