Poll: *** The official 2022 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M2 chip, MagSafe and everything!) ***

What 2022 M2 notebook will you get?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 35 87.5%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Soon..

Anyone pre-ordering that’s currently in here discussing the air?

I'm waiting until I can see it in store. Happy to hang on until then before ordering.

As above might be worth holding to see if there are any back to school offers on it if you can get educational discount.

Soldato
I put in a BTO order, it’s not due until August, I’ll just cancel it if the reviews are no good or I don’t like it when they get them in store next week.

Associate
I was walking to a remote beach in Sardinia when preorders went up. I had 1 scrappy bar of 4g which *just* worked.

Ordered the following machine, but slightly regretting not going for 24GB and maybe 512GB drive. Also ordered midnight black rather than Space Grey. When I went back, dates were slipping to late August....

E4FD038E-E3EE-4C34-9193-45FD91B2977D.png

Commissario
OP
I may DSR it
It’s Apple, you don’t need to claim DSR, you can just return anything, for any reason whatsoever in the first 14 days for a full refund, no questions asked.

Well it’s in.. hopefully it isn’t garbage otherwise it’ll be going back and I’ll regret moving an m1 air on..
You’re going from an M1 MBA to an M2 MBA?

Associate
Ordered the following machine, but slightly regretting not going for 24GB and maybe 512GB drive. Also ordered midnight black rather than Space Grey. When I went back, dates were slipping to late August...
At that spec and price, why not just get the 14 Pro?

Soldato
It’s Apple, you don’t need to claim DSR, you can just return anything, for any reason whatsoever in the first 14 days for a full refund, no questions asked.

You’re going from an M1 MBA to an M2 MBA?
I am indeed. I went base model m1. I kept finding I was running out of ram so needed the 16gb model. As such I waited for m2 and went 16gb on 512gb with the 8/8 as I don’t want or need the GPU in this device.

If I had 16gb in the m1 air I’d have been happy and would have kept it. I don’t really need the 512gb either but the m2 pro reviews with the 256gb have me spooked.

Soldato
I went 8/8/16/512, I couldn't really see the point of spending £100 on 2 GPU cores for a general use machine.
I guess for that £100 you're getting the additional GPU cores and the dual USB-C power plug so effectively you're not paying much more for it if you alredy want 512Gb storage.

I'll probably go 10-core personally it as the extra £100 on a ~£1500 laptop (16Gb/512Gb Education) isn't a massive difference. I'd agree it's questionable how much actual difference those extra 2 cores will make in real world use though.

Soldato
Well that’s the point, it’s £70 extra (I paid the extra £30 for the dual Port charger) for no real world performance for my use case.

I’d literally be spending £70 for a number on a spec sheet.

Soldato
Well that’s the point, it’s £70 extra (I paid the extra £30 for the dual Port charger) for no real world performance for my use case.

I’d literally be spending £70 for a number on a spec sheet.
That's a fair point. You might be right that if you don't need if then it's better saving the £70. Especially as there's the potential that having the extra GPU cores could actually have a negative impact on battery life. Plus it's not clear that on a fanless laptop you'll see the full performance benefit of them anyway as it'll likely start throttling after a few minutes at full GPU load. We'll have to wait for reviews to know if that will cause issues though.

Back
Top Bottom