Poll: *** The official 2022 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M2 chip, MagSafe and everything!) ***

What 2022 M2 notebook will you get?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 35 87.5%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Perhaps it's too early to ask, but have people been receiving their BTO M2 MBA orders towards the early or late date of their delivery estimate? I'm trying to work out if I'll make the cut off before a trip in late August.

Soldato
Perhaps it's too early to ask, but have people been receiving their BTO M2 MBA orders towards the early or late date of their delivery estimate? I'm trying to work out if I'll make the cut off before a trip in late August.
I got mine on Wednesday, I could have had it Monday if I was in.

8/8/16/512 in midnight for reference

The original estimate was 1St to 8th of august.

Soldato

That was really quick, thanks! I'm looking at getting the same spec, but in silver.

I know that an upgraded M2 MBA is poor value for money, but I'm getting an upgraded MacBook Pro 14" for work soon and I prefer the smaller form factor for personal use.

Soldato
I didn’t get the 14” because I wouldn’t make use of the extra multicore performance and I wanted the smaller form factor.

The extra £200 wasn’t worth it for the better screen in a thicker chassis for me.

Better single core performance will probably be better for longevity over more P cores in my use case.

Soldato

That was really quick, thanks! I'm looking at getting the same spec, but in silver.

I know that an upgraded M2 MBA is poor value for money, but I'm getting an upgraded MacBook Pro 14" for work soon and I prefer the smaller form factor for personal use.

Funny you both mention that as I'm planning on ordering the same spec 8/8/16/512. In Space Grey though as I hear they're faster ;)

Like yourself I considered the Macbook Pro 14" but having used both in store I much prefer the form factor of the Air. Plus, whist it might be a technically better display, I found the "blooming" of the mini-led screen quite distracting when using sites with white text on black backgrounds. Plus, using both in store I felt the M2 was actually a fraction snappier loading apps and websites (probably due to the better single core performance of the M2 chip).

The only thing which gave me pause was that I frequently use the my laptop conected to an external display and it's the one area which my current 2019 Macbook Air struggles with. I'm hoping the faster M2 Air won't lag in the same way when using an external monitor though.

Associate
Mine was due for between 2nd and 5th August, it arrived on the 29th of July.

Spec is M2 - 10 GPU cores - 16GB - 512GB - Space Grey

Soldato
It has arrived! Like a couple of others I know that the MBP is better value but I prefer the MBA form factor and it’s good enough for my use case.

Ordered 23/07 and arrived 04/08 so well ahead of the estimate of 09 - 16/08.

I like the Midnight colour but looks too fingerprint-y so went Space Grey. Also went for the 67w charger rather than the dual.

This is my first ever Mac computer.

326733-EC-BF33-4-E5-D-823-D-C968-DD675157.jpg

D2-B95-D14-057-F-4539-AC44-50-FE4-B8-FEE37.jpg

AC5363-B4-1-B3-A-454-A-8034-EFAC808-A005-E.jpg

7-FDE1132-DBF6-4-C22-B159-D056-DC0-EB1-E6.jpg

Soldato
It has arrived! Like a couple of others I know that the MBP is better value but I prefer the MBA form factor and it’s good enough for my use case.

Ordered 23/07 and arrived 04/08 so well ahead of the estimate of 09 - 16/08.

I like the Midnight colour but looks too fingerprint-y so went Space Grey. Also went for the 67w charger rather than the dual.

326733-EC-BF33-4-E5-D-823-D-C968-DD675157.jpg

D2-B95-D14-057-F-4539-AC44-50-FE4-B8-FEE37.jpg

AC5363-B4-1-B3-A-454-A-8034-EFAC808-A005-E.jpg

7-FDE1132-DBF6-4-C22-B159-D056-DC0-EB1-E6.jpg
Awesome! What do you mainly plan on doing with it?

Soldato
Awesome! What do you mainly plan on doing with it?

Just email, web and very occasional office stuff so I wasn’t concerned about sustained workload stuff. I never video edit, etc. May try some very light gaming at some point but I have an Xbox Series S for that.

I realise it could even be considered overkill for the purposes I’m using it for.

Commissario
OP
It has arrived!
Very pretty, that's always been my colour of choice.

I realise it could even be considered overkill for the purposes I’m using it for.
Very probably but there isn't a lower powered Apple laptop you could have gone for and it'll mean that using it will be an absolute pleasure.

Soldato

How are you getting on with it?

I received a 14" MBP for work last week, and after being a diehard Windows fan for decades I have to say that I am completely smitten with it. It's taking a while to unlearn the muscle memory associated with having CTRL, ALT and Windows keys, but I'm persevering.

I like it so much that I'm struggling to resist buying a ludicrously expensive M2 Air for personal use when I know that a £400 second hand Windows laptop would be just fine for what I do.

Associate
I received a 14" MBP for work last week, and after being a diehard Windows fan for decades I have to say that I am completely smitten with it. It's taking a while to unlearn the muscle memory associated with having CTRL, ALT and Windows keys, but I'm persevering.
I swapped the keys as I still use Windows and Linux, so following what the other 2 do, and what I've used for most of my life, has made it way easier.

Soldato
Alongside the command butting being in the ‘wrong’ place the other one that gets me is the @ and “ being flipped which is contrary to every other U.K. keyboard I have ever used.

Both are going to take some muscle memory adjustments to get used to.

Soldato
Alongside the command butting being in the ‘wrong’ place the other one that gets me is the @ and “ being flipped which is contrary to every other U.K. keyboard I have ever used.

Both are going to take some muscle memory adjustments to get used to.

Ah yes! Forgot to mention this.

In South Africa we use the US keyboard layout, so despite having been in the UK for a long time it wasn’t too bad to transition back to the @ and “ keys being in the wrong places.

I even Googled for a photo of a UK keyboard on a MacBook when I received mine because I was convinced that they’d shipped me the wrong model.

Soldato
How are you getting on with it?

I like it so much that I'm struggling to resist buying a ludicrously expensive M2 Air for personal use when I know that a £400 second hand Windows laptop would be just fine for what I do.
I nearly posted about this yesterday. Great minds, etc. :D

I love it TBH. I like just looking at the thing and it has such a great build quality when I pick it up. Only downside to that is I start looking at other products I don’t really need like, “Maybe I’ll get an Apple Watch…what about an iMac…maybe a Studio Display..”.

Similar with you on the shortcuts, it’ll take a little time to get the muscle memory but it’s all pretty intuitive. I’d watched a video someone (probably Feek) posted in the software board about the basics of MacOS before it was delivered so that has really helped.

Some nice little touches like phone calls being available to pick up on the Mac, Safari favourites being there from the get go, Mail working between devices, etc. are really handy too.

Only way I’d go back to Windows is if I get another gaming PC but I don’t really game enough these days to justify it.

Man of Honour
One of the things I love about the ecosystem is handoff, especially for copy/paste between devices and now the recent addition of text messages coming through the Messages app (before it was iMessages only) on my Mac, it makes 2FA stuff a breeze. Also, TimeMachine is a backup product that works and there's very little faff to it. Plug in a drive, encrypt it, point TM at it, job done. NAS requires a little more effort but still straight forward.

Back
Top Bottom