Poll: *** The official 2022 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M2 chip, MagSafe and everything!) ***

What 2022 M2 notebook will you get?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 35 87.5%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I plan on upgrading to the new MBP when it's released. Would you guys advise I keep my current 2020 MBP in case as the screens on the new models seem to be giving people eye strain and headaches.

Soldato
I was made aware of this issue before. In my (very unprofessional) opinion I don’t think it has much to do with the RAM.
I believe it comes down to the scaling used for said display within display settings.
I’ve seen elsewhere that when a 4k monitor is run at non-native resolution(s) i.e scaled, then this can present itself.
This concerned me because I like to use the second scaling option from the left - and macOS does say it may impact performance. In day to day use I’ve not noticed it, however, I have noticed it in Capture One.
The best way round it is to either decrease the size of the viewer or change the macOS scaling to a native res when using that software.
FWIW, it really only occurs when doing really pixel intensive stuff like adding clarity etc.

Thanks for replying.

I have a 14" MBP for work and use scaling on my 4K monitor and can't say I've noticed any performance degradation, but I don't do anything that's graphically, or even CPU, intensive.

Soldato
Likewise, got mine last week and really impressed with it so far. coming from a 3 year old Intel MacBook Air it’s a quantum leap over that!

In fact I’d go so far as to say that, despite it being an ultraportable laptop, the performance so good that I don’t think I’ll ever bother buying another desktop pc again!

So yeah, can’t really find anything to fault. Performance is spectacular and faster than my current desktop pc, battery life is ludicrous (12+hours) and the device barely gets warm in day to day use (unlike my Intel MacBook) despite the lack of cooling fans.

I did upgrade the ram to 16Gb and the ssd to 512gb though as I didn’t feel comfortable going with the base spec. The pricing is really my only complaint in that i feel it should come with 16Gb and 512gb as standard.

Hows it going, are you happy with it still?

Im looking at the air M2 as well as per my thread I created, I was also looking at the 14" pro, but I think the air will do me fine. Like you I plan to go 16gb and 512gb SSD.

Soldato
Hows it going, are you happy with it still?

Im looking at the air M2 as well as per my thread I created, I was also looking at the 14" pro, but I think the air will do me fine. Like you I plan to go 16gb and 512gb SSD.

Yeah, still super impressed with it. The performance and battery life (12 hours + easily real world) are outstanding. Plus it has the usual fit, finish, quality display and quality trackpad you expect from Apple.

Kind of a tough call between an upgraded M2 Air or the M1 Pro but I perfer the better battery life and lighter/fanless form factor of the Air. Plus the CPU/GPU performance is still great for everything I've tried on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was quite surprised this morning to see that Costco is selling M2 MacBook Airs with 16GB/512GB since it has only been possible to get those specs directly from Apple.

It's still better value to buy a refurbished one from Apple for £1479 though.

Associate
Well after months of not being able to decide on an upgraded M2 Air or an M1 MBP 14", I've finally decided to treat myself for Xmas and go for the Air.

Refurbished from apple £1,749 8/10/16GB/1TB Space Grey.

As nice as the extras of the MBP would have been, I just wouldn't use/need all the power and I really prefer the size of the Air.

Will be a hell of an improvement over my current Intel MBP (13" Mid 2012, 2.9 GHz Dual-Core i7, 8GB, 512 SSD).

My current MBP has done so well, hoping this Air with the Spec will give me another 10 Years!:D

Associate
Well after months of not being able to decide on an upgraded M2 Air or an M1 MBP 14", I've finally decided to treat myself for Xmas and go for the Air.

Refurbished from apple £1,749 8/10/16GB/1TB Space Grey.

As nice as the extras of the MBP would have been, I just wouldn't use/need all the power and I really prefer the size of the Air.

Will be a hell of an improvement over my current Intel MBP (13" Mid 2012, 2.9 GHz Dual-Core i7, 8GB, 512 SSD).

My current MBP has done so well, hoping this Air with the Spec will give me another 10 Years!:D
I ordered it at 7 pm yesterday, and it arrived just before 7 pm today, even though Apple gave the 18th as the delivery date.

Loving it so far, and I am so glad I went for the Air, it's a beautiful machine.

Associate
I'll be picking up a 2022 MBA in a few weeks and will likely install some thermal pads to help with heat dissipation.
Does anyone have any recommendations for the best thermal pads to use?

Thanks

Soldato
I’ll be honest, in all the time I have been using mine, I just have not every felt the need to do it.

Unless you are maxing the chip for sustained periods of 5 mins or more at a time with no gaps between, there isn’t any benefit.

If you need the extra performance, get a 14”, the price delta is pretty minimal.

Soldato
I was in the Apple Store today, and I forgot how sleek the MBA is, the Midnight really is gorgeous, im really tempted to get back into the Apple eco-system.

And the price from an Apple competitor has it at a really, really good price! Will need to have a good long think!

Soldato
I was in the Apple Store today, and I forgot how sleek the MBA is, the Midnight really is gorgeous, im really tempted to get back into the Apple eco-system.

And the price from an Apple competitor has it at a really, really good price! Will need to have a good long think!
I love my M1 8GB RAM 256GB SSD MBA. It is a great computer for the price, and the battery life (which is really important to me) is awesome.

What do you tend to use your laptops for?

Back
Top Bottom