Poll: *** The official 2022 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M2 chip, MagSafe and everything!) ***

What 2022 M2 notebook will you get?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 35 87.5%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I was holding onto see what M2 would bring and it looks awesome but I can't justify the cost, will look at picking up an M1 macbook air I reckon. Will be more than enough for my needs!

Associate
What’s the hype with MagSafe? Why is it any better than just charging over TB4?
You get a minor benefit of it disconnecting if you accidentally trip over the cable.

Apple get a huge benefit from it being proprietary and the ability to charge you more for it.

I was tempted by the Air to replace my 2015 mbp, but the base ram is still too low, and the 1 external monitor cap too limiting.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
You get a minor benefit of it disconnecting if you accidentally trip over the cable.

Apple get a huge benefit from it being proprietary and the ability to charge you more for it.

I was tempted by the Air to replace my 2015 mbp, but the base ram is still too low, and the 1 external monitor cap too limiting.
By the time you add decent ram and storage your near £1700 which is 14 MBP price.

Soldato
By the time you add decent ram and storage your near £1700 which is 14 MBP price.
That is one thing to consider given I'd definitely want to have 16Gb/512Gb if I bought a Macbook Air M2. The 16/512 Air is £1650 (£1750 with 10-core GPU) Versus £1900 for the 14" MBP.

Personally though I'd still opt for the Macbook Air given it's thinner/lighter and has the M2 CPU (definitely quicker single core and probably similar Multicore to the M1 Pro also likley with a better battery life). If they upgraded the Macbook Pro 14 to an M2 Pro chip I'd probably go for that instead though. I only ever connect my Macbook to a single 34" Ultrawide (3440x1440) monitor so the lack of support for multiple external displays isn't an issue for me. Disappointing that it still has that limitation though.

It'll be an interesting comparion to see how the M1, M1 Pro and M2 compare when benchmarks are released.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
That is one thing to consider given I'd definitely want to have 16Gb/512Gb if I bought a Macbook Air M2. The 16/512 Air is £1650 (£1750 with 10-core GPU) Versus £1900 for the 14" MBP. Personally though I'd still opt for the Macbook Air given it's thinner/lighter and has the M2 CPU (definitely quicker single core and probably similar Multicore to the M1 Pro). If they upgraded the Macbook Pro 14 to an M2X chip I'd probably go for that instead though.

It'll be an interesting comparion to see how the M1, M1 Pro and M2 compare when benchmarks are released.
The 14 MPB is £1765 for the base, at least that’s what is regularly discounted at places like John Lewis, Amazon and Curry’s.

I wouldn’t overlook the M1pro having more performance cores vs M1/M2 vanilla.

Soldato
The 14 MPB is £1765 for the base, at least that’s what is regularly discounted at places like John Lewis, Amazon and Curry’s.

I wouldn’t overlook the M1pro having more performance cores vs M1/M2 vanilla.
With Edu discount the MBA m2 16/512 is £1529 so still around £200 cheaper. I still suspect that the M2 will be faster in most real world app than the m1 pro but time will tell!

Associate
With Edu discount the MBA m2 16/512 is £1529 so still around £200 cheaper. I still suspect that the M2 will be faster in most real world app than the m1 pro but time will tell!
Unless you're doing 8K renders or large project builds, the real world performance is likely negligible even for high-performance burst workloads.

Soldato
Unless you're doing 8K renders or large project builds, the real world performance is likely negligible even for high-performance burst workloads.
I agree. That’s why on balance I feel a m2 MacBook Air is a better option than an m1 pro MacBook Pro even if there’s only a few hundred pounds difference between them for the weight, battery and single core improvements.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I agree. That’s why on balance I feel a m2 MacBook Air is a better option than an m1 pro MacBook Pro even if there’s only a few hundred pounds difference between them for the weight, battery and single core improvements.

To be honest CPU performance has never been an issue for me even on the M1 vanilla, but the things I do thing I appreciate on the 14 Pro vs new Air are the additional screen space, the XDR promotion display, better speakers, additional ports, more than 1 monitor support and more ports (HDMI, SD Card, more USB-C). It's a great time to be buying an Apple PC, so many good choices!

Man of Honour
I really like the idea of the rumoured 12" MacBook. As much as I love my iPad Pro with the keyboard case, Apple are not in the short term, going to make it a more capable work machine for certain tasks, like a lot of us hoped when they put an M1 chip in it. So a 12" MacBook would be a perfect replacement, just a shame it's not meant to be released until 2023/2024

Soldato
It's a great time to be buying an Apple PC, so many good choices!
Agreed, great to see lots of options coming out in the near future.

MacBook Pro 14” m2pro sounds like it isn’t far off and there’s rumours of 15”/12” MacBook air’s next year as well.

Back
Top Bottom