Poll: *** The Official 2024 iPad thread (the Pro has the M4 chip and everything!) ***

Which 2024 iPad are you going to buy?

• Total voters
Soldato
But an iPad doesn’t replace a MacBook. I tried with the IPad Pro m1 to replace my personal MacBook and older iPad Pro. But it just didn’t work.

In the end I got a Mac Mini for my personal Mac to cover the gaps.
For what I use my MacBook for, an iPad should be able to replace it. All the apps are there on iOS that I require. I’ve a pretty basic use case anyway. If it doesn’t work out then I’ll just get a MacBook again. Yes, I do have shares in Apple. Why do you ask?

Associate
Yeah I struggle with headaches from some PWM screens. The iPads and MacBooks with mini led are unusable for me. My phone is tolerable in small doses and varies how it affects me. My iPad Pro M1 is fine with no issues at all.

Might limit any upgrade route if the new oled screens are not tolerable. Thankfully my m1 is more than enough for my usage although I’m tempted to buy another for when it decides to give up..
The new one uses oled so as long as they use the same dimming method from the m1 version you should be fine. Go in store and have a play with one.

Soldato
I thought that when I turned off pro-motion on my 13 Pro for a while. Immediately noticed the difference, turned it back on and my 120hz fate was sealed. Lol
I normally notice things like this very easily so it is baffling. I previously had an iPhone XS and last year grabbed a refurb 14 Pro (accidentally typed 13 in my last post). I honestly couldn't notice the difference! Mind you I don't do any gaming but you'd think I'd notice it scrolling via Safari.

Soldato
OP
MacBooks were using Intel x86 architecture whereas I assume iPad was already using some custom ARM based CPU?

They have gotten a lot more capable, so I guess it balances out. Sounds like most people would prefer battery life though.

Oh, yes, good point.

Some hands-on and thought videos regarding the new products announced.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I defected to an S9 Ultra with the crazy deals on in April (£550 for the S9 Ultra/keyboard/Buds Pro 2). Was wondering if I'd regret it after the new releases yesterday but the pricing and iterative changes aren't leaving me too bothered.

iPad Pro 13"/Apple Pencil/Keyboard Case and headphones would be 2k ish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just caught up on all the excitement from the last couple of days.

New iPad Pro looks like a fantastic bit of kit with a price to match but yeh, I'm not going to buy one.

Soldato
Decided I’m going to wait a bit for a 3rd party keyboard folio replacement to come out before I get one of these as the Magic Keyboard is way OTT for my wants and needs. I could just get a 2022 iPad Pro to replace this one as there’s the keyboard folio for that but it would mean several more years of noticing the obvious blooming on the 12.9” when watching stuff at night. Y U DO DIS APPLE. Always giving and taking away at the same time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided I’m going to wait a bit for a 3rd party keyboard folio replacement to come out before I get one of these as the Magic Keyboard is way OTT for my wants and needs. I could just get a 2022 iPad Pro to replace this one as there’s the keyboard folio for that but it would mean several more years of noticing the obvious blooming on the 12.9” when watching stuff at night. Y U DO DIS APPLE. Always giving and taking away at the same time.
The blooming is an absolute non-issue. At least in my experience.
You need to be watching something at max brightness (with equally contrasting blacks) in a pitch black room. The eye strain would far outweigh any potential for blooming.

Last edited:
Associate
I still feel they could have done so much more with this new iPad Pro. I don’t need it thinner. More battery. Upgrade the cameras. More space for better speakers the possibilities are endless, Ditch the notch. I feel this would all be possible if it was the same thickness as older iPad Pros. It kinda reminds me of bendgate with it being so thin.

Last edited:
Soldato
I still feel they could have done so much more with this new iPad Pro. I don’t need it thinner. More battery. Upgrade the cameras. More space for better speakers the possibilities are endless, Ditch the notch. I feel this would all be possible if it was the same thickness as older iPad Pros. It kinda reminds me of bendgate with it being so thin.
Notch?

Soldato
Disappointed that there isn't a new iPad Mini and on the focus of "Thinnest ever" rather than a practical improvement to battery life by using the new more power efficient chips and retaining the "old" battery size (going on the Marques video where he mentions Apple are quoting the same battery life thus assumes the battery will be smaller).

Also really need to see what changes the next iteration of iPad OS brings to the table as I had very mixed feelings using my Wife's M1 iPad Pro (mainly surrounding "Desktop" scenarios with Stage Manager vs DeX on my Fold 3).

Associate
With respect to battery size comparisons, it is capacity that matters and the new M4 iPad Pro 11-inch has a 31.29-watt-hour battery against a 28.65-watt-hour battery in the 4th gen M2 iPad Pro 11-inch.

Soldato
Disappointed that there isn't a new iPad Mini and on the focus of "Thinnest ever" rather than a practical improvement to battery life by using the new more power efficient chips and retaining the "old" battery size (going on the Marques video where he mentions Apple are quoting the same battery life thus assumes the battery will be smaller).

Also really need to see what changes the next iteration of iPad OS brings to the table as I had very mixed feelings using my Wife's M1 iPad Pro (mainly surrounding "Desktop" scenarios with Stage Manager vs DeX on my Fold 3).

I say it every year, I’d much much rather they kept the phones iPad the same thickness as the previous gen and fire a huge battery in it.

With respect to battery size comparisons, it is capacity that matters and the new M4 iPad Pro 11-inch has a 31.29-watt-hour battery against a 28.65-watt-hour battery in the 4th gen M2 iPad Pro 11-inch.

So they’ve managed to increase it, if they utilised the same physical space as the previous gen they’d be able to get a few more wh in there

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom