• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Official 5830 Thread!

Associate
Even more interesting is that the latest 10.4's cause BSOD for people with 5830's, plus they will not install without forcing the issue (don't recognise 5830). Some peeps are not happy. All my games work with the 10.2's, but it's not very fair especially when you consider the price of these cards on release. Glad I got mine for a £100 from a friend.

Thanks for supporting the 5830 ATI!!!! :(

Soldato
OP
Maybe it's just because the current drivers didn't support the 5830 when it was brought out, so they modified the current drivers to work on it? And since then an update hasn't been needed with those drivers whilst the others have had 10.3 and 10.4.

Maybe they'll build them in together with these rumored 10.5 drivers. :p

In the mean time, you can get 10.3 to work, and they have attempted to build 5830 support into the 10.4a preview, and failed. (Does install, but doesn't work properly). This tells me though that when 10.4a is officially released that the 5830 will be supported. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just thought I'd run Autotune just to see what happened, watch it get as far as 890mhz on the core and then cancelled it, it was taking too long. :p

Spirits247, is your's overclocked again now you found the issue was the X-FI Elite? Just wondering what I should be aiming for really in case the Autotune goes a bit mad with it...

Associate
Autotune is junk - it never gets it right! I ran autotune and ages later it settled on 915 for the core and 1117 for the mem I think but it wasn't stable at those speeds. The mem could do more, the core less.

Oh, the X-Fi - what an adventure, soon you'll wish you didn't ask!

*DEEP BREATH*

My X-Fi is back in - it wasn't the cause, although with it in the symptoms were worse. Without the card the random hanging in Windows and post problems resurfaced if I tried to overclock the motherboard. It was difficult to diagnose because if a hang happened, I had to switch my PC off for at least an hour to regain stability or strange things would happen like drives not getting detected, system pausing and hanging, hanging on post, keyboard going missing - even if I yanked the plug and cleared the CMOS! Leave the PC for an hour disconnected from the mains and it was back to normal!

With my old 4850, I could clock my MSI P45 motherboard to 400 FSB and run the E6850 at 3.6Ghz at 1.3425v. Then I put in a GTX 280, and immediately had to run the E6850 at 1.3625v, probably because vdrop (voltage drop) was a lot worse with the GTX 280. This hints at a PSU limitation.

Well, with the 5830, a much less power hungry card, I was having issues overcloking the board at all without crazy stuff happening. Everything back to default and the machine left for an hour and it ran 100% stable. Then I found an option in the bios to only set overclock settings after Windows has loaded - so at post it fires up with default settings.

This fixed everything, and amazingly I can run my E6850 at 3.6GHz with a much lower voltage - 1.325 - the default for core2 duo's - plus all the energy saving options (changing clocks and voltages) left on. I have tested it running prime, games, benchmark all at the same time. Solid as a rock.

So what was the issue? My guess is the 5830 required more startup juice and caused greater variance in voltages than the other cards and my PSU was struggling to meet all the required voltages. But once past post, the most strenuous time for voltage drop as everything demands power at the same time, the PSU can handle everything fine. If I'd found that setting earlier, I could have been running this E6850 at default voltage with all the cards I believe. The higher voltage was only required to get the CPU through post without causing some strange failures.

Therefore I'm not sure if my PSU is limiting the 5830 overclock. It's a 800W quad rail with 20A on each, so I should be good to go but my post experience is telling me it might be limiting. I've been running the 5830 at default since the boot and hanging issues - now I've sorted those I will try and push the card again. Last time out I settled on 865 and 1100, but you may get a lot more.

I'll never know the real cause for certain unless I change my PSU! But this PSU should be good for crossfire. Strange.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I must admit, I lol'd at deep breath. :p

It's a very wierd problem that, I've had one or two like that before where I couldn't really trace the cause. I once ended up changing the motherboard, CPU, hard drive and IDE cables just to stop my Windows OS constantly corrupting. I had them spare so it didn't cost me anything. It also worked, which was nice.

Why can't the manufacturers just make things that work. :(

Crysis arrived yesterday! Getting it to run was a right old laugh. I can't get any nocd cracks to work, but it's very fun! Running it at 1920x1200 all settings medium with AA turned off. Might try low settings and experimenting with AA though, things in the distance are often hard to make out, and I believe that's what AA sorts out?

I really fancy going crossfire but I've heard so many stories about issues with rubbish ATI drivers in the past, and seeing as the 5830 is still only on 10.2 I'm not feeling very good about the prospects....

Mind you, if it's true that 10.4a will support the 5830, hopefully all of the little issues wil be ironed out.

I nearly overclocked it earlier, but changed my mind again. I guessed that Autotune would be a load of tripe, and I wan't happy invalidating my warrenty by doing it manually. :p (Although it's not clear whether setting it manually in CCC does actually invalidate warrenty or not).

Associate
Some PC issues are hard to track down - bad voltages, bad compatibility or incorrect signalling - that's why I'd never overclock my work PC.

According to that reply from Powercolor - you're fine if you stick to the limits set in CCC. If you notice, the manual clock settings are limited to 1000 on the core and is it 1300 on the mem. Those are set based on your device ID and agreed on by the manufacturers. That's why they said you're fine using the official CCC drivers - if you decide to do it, just don't set anything above those limits to be 100% legit.

Not even a 5870 can run Crysis on high at high resolution with everything maxed out. I think it gets about 20-21 FPS! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
In a year these will probably be available for £100, so I'll probably get one then for CF.

I've been reading around about this driver issue. The only drivers that officially supports the 5830 are the ones on the ATI site that are seperate in the list. A lot of people have been using 10.3 without an issue though, 10.4 hasn't worked for anyone I've seen comment yet, 10.4a has worked for a few people but it's only a preview at the moment, and I can't find when it should be released in full.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Think mine is borked, having loads of trouble just getting it to run with it in now! Sometimes loads as far as the windows desktop then crashes as the CCC system tray thing is loading.

EDIT: It appears to be sorted now... I put my 4670 in, booted to the desktop with that and surfed the web a bit, then put the 5830 back in and it seems to have not crashed so far! Lesson learnt. Don't take the GPU out, then boot without it in.... (I had to to get at my fan controllers, was setting the fan speeds). My install of Windows isn't all that great though, I'm dual booting XP and W7 and it's given me nothing but trouble so far. When 10.4a are released in full I'll go back to W7 on it's own. (If they officially support the 5830 that is).

Last edited:
Associate
I've been thinking about getting one of these cards in a month or so, but I've got to decide which brand to get. The cheapest I can find is XFX for £175 and then there is Sapphire for £190, is there any major difference in terms of temperature and overclocking ability?
Thanks

Associate
Think mine is borked, having loads of trouble just getting it to run with it in now! Sometimes loads as far as the windows desktop then crashes as the CCC system tray thing is loading.

Funny you should say that - my gaming PC started playing up again today. Randomly pausing or hanging, slowly getting worse and worse unless I switch it off for ages. Other days it will run fine. But today was especially bad. Decided after all my messing around it must be the 5830.

This has been the biggest pain in the backside.

So I whipped out my media PC from the livingroom. It has a 4850 in it. Put the 4850 into my gaming rig, the 5830 into my media PC. Straight away on the media PC I got the same issue as my gaming rig - strange unpredictable pauses and sometimes the drives won't read correctly.

After all this time messing around it's the card. It won't even load on my media PC. It will post, but the drives won't read. Media PC has a Silverstone 560W PSU, gaming rig the 800W quad rail. Surely it can't be PSU problems? I'm not buying another flippin PSU just on the off chance this card will work.

Not been a good upgrade for me. PSU is the only thing left, or I have a bad card.

Soldato
OP
Doesn't sound good that mate... :(

Mine's been fine all day apart from I've had two freezes, Windows just freezes up and needs resetting with the reset switch. Once was on loading and I think it was just about to load the CCC system tray thingy, and the second time I was just surfing the net.

It may be issues with the GPU, but I'm having other issues due to this dual boot I'm running. (I think). I've also reset it about 15 times today after having trouble when I took the card out and booted it up, so it may have made my Windows install unstable...

Associate
Doesn't sound good that you're having freezes either. Did you have those issues before the 5830?

This is the first time I've experienced such strange and random issues. I know now though it is either the card, or I need a better PSU than a non-brand 800W quad rail with suppossedly 20A on each of the 12v rails or a Silverstone 560W single rail with 38A. Both run the 4850, but that uses less power. I'm off to check how much less, because I don't think there is that much in it. Plus surely if it was the PSU, I wouldn't even be able to boot a GTX 280 which was my last card.

When the card works, it works flawlessly. I'm so tempted to get a new PSU, but if it doesn't fix anything it would seem a waste.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No I don't think I had them before, but as I said this install is a mess, I need to reinstall really.

Just wish I could get a rough date for the release of the next drivers, then I'd do it then!

Associate
Well, since placing the 5830 back in my gaming rig it's back to being stable. All that's changed is I've disabled C-State on the CPU and a few other powersave options on the motherboard.

I'm sure it's not the PSU, as I can run Prime95, Furmark, HDtach and burn a DVD all at the same time! And everything is solid as a rock with the CPU overclocked back up to 3.6Ghz!

This thing is going to continue to do my head in! LOL! Just can't get it to cause trouble today..... (famous last words)

Soldato
OP
Same with me, no trouble at all so far today!

I'm feeling certain my trouble lies with my dual boot install. W7 freshly installed with the dual boot loads slower than it did before I reinstalled. Gotta be a sign I suppose. :/

Back
Top Bottom