****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Could be a capacity problem. Are EE / Voda sharing the same base station

Likely, but I have been in contact with their respective tech departments and when there is maintenance on the network it will shoehorn traffic through one base station. So if they dont tell you about 'maintenance' you can only tell when its hammered by the terrible internet speeds.

My plan might be to integrate a secondary 4G sim device and load balance. But this would strongly hinge on:
a) cheap second SIM price
b) having to fork out on a router that can balance, and then another modem.

ed- a** ii) the other provider locked on to a different base station

Associate
Likely, but I have been in contact with their respective tech departments and when there is maintenance on the network it will shoehorn traffic through one base station. So if they dont tell you about 'maintenance' you can only tell when its hammered by the terrible internet speeds.

My plan might be to integrate a secondary 4G sim device and load balance. But this would strongly hinge on:
a) cheap second SIM price
b) having to fork out on a router that can balance, and then another modem.

ed- a** ii) the other provider locked on to a different base station

A lot of hassle.

Associate
@rob77 I met over on ispreview forum. @Firegod I come to share my experience here too.

Huawei CE Pro 2 - Running 5G connection (Bridge Mode)
DrayTek Vigor 2927 - Used as the router providing DHCP
Ubiquity AC Pro x2 - These are the Access Points I use to connect via WiFi.

I Hope this helps those of you reading. If you have any questions, im no network expert but I can advise on what I have learnt.

My CPE Pro 2 is arriving from three but I just learned no bridge mode on their firmware. Where did you get yours from?

Associate
My CPE Pro 2 is arriving from three but I just learned no bridge mode on their firmware. Where did you get yours from?
I got mine off of the bay. It is an import though as came with a european power supply. I'm not sure they are readily available to buy over here but the big green forest has some but come from Germany.

Associate
I got mine off of the bay. It is an import though as came with a european power supply. I'm not sure they are readily available to buy over here but the big green forest has some but come from Germany.

the only problem with the bay is that I don’t quite know what to search for. For instance, many people selling their devices will know it to be unlocked but not know whether there’s custom firmware on it.
Is there a name for a non-carrier firmware model?

Associate
You can get three branded unlocked ones too. Look for one that is unlocked but has a 'huawei' logo on the front instead of '3'. I can't link here but the ones on the forest are unbranded too I believe.

Associate
Unlocked AND with bridge mode enabled ?
I'm pretty sure they will be. They are the same as the one I have.

I've just sent mine off to be modded. I'm having external antenna connectors fitted for 4g/5g. I've put up a bluespot 5g antenna to test on my other router with antenna connectors and it has made the world of difference.

Associate
Hi everyone, the only fixed line broadband I will have available in the house I am moving to is extremely slow (there is fibre in the area, but apparently the cabinet is full so the only way I can get it is either to wait for the cabinet to be upgraded, or wait for someone to move out and free up a slot, and who knows how long either of those will take...) so I am searching for alternatives. I was looking into the Gigacube from Vodafone and wanted to ask if anyone uses it and can share how it performs? Given I often work from home a lot now I need a decent speed (in my current apartment I get maybe 40-50 Mbps which works fine for my needs) but also a reliable and stable connection.

Would it be possible to buy a 5G router and then get a 5G sim-only plan and use the sim in the router to get a better broadband connection in the new house? (I live in London and the Vodafone coverage checker says 5G is available indoors and outdoors in that location. Three don't offer their Home Broadband service in the area, but their map says 5G coverage for mobile is good outdoors where I will be moving to. Vodafone don't offer Home broadband in the area either, hence the Gigacube option). I would also ideally like to be able to connect my PC to it via ethernet, and then just use wi-fi for the rest of the house, possibly using a powerline adapter to boost the signal in different rooms/floors.

Can anyone recommend a good router? I know the Gigabyte (and the routers from Three and EE) use the Huawei 5G CPE router so I was wondering if this would be a good one to get and if so, where I can get an unlocked one? (the Huawei site doesn't appear to sell them for some reason?). Or would I be better off just signing up with BT/Sky for their 3-6 Mbps speed and waiting for a free fibre slot in the cabinet after which I could switch to their ~69Mbps fibre service? (The 5G router option probably costs double, with the Gigacube option costing a few hundred more than if I could just buy a router and sign up for an unlimited data sim only plan with Vodafone)

Many thanks in advance, really appreciate any advice anyone can provide as I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this kind of thing!

Associate
After a week of struggling with the Vodafone 5g gigacube service I returned it and went with -

Vodafone 5g unlimited data only sim
Huewai unlocked CPE Pro 2

I'm still struggling to get 5g speeds similar to my handsets but the huewai unit is far better in "locking" into fast 4g speeds and maintaining them over time.

Also the unlocked unit has no issues with bridge mode into my WiFi 6 orbi mesh. Which the Vodafone badged router **** the bed over.

Even though the outlay is significantly increased (£370 for the unit Vs 50 upfront), the monthly charge is £15 for six months then £30 rather than £60. So I'm making a saving Vs Vodafone service after 9 months.
This is exactly what I'm thinking of doing - was considering the Gigacube but it seems like going the sim only route with an unlocked router is cheaper... I thought the Gigacube used the Huawei unlocked CPE Pro 2?

Where did you buy the unlocked router? How is the connection speed? And is it a reliable/stable connection?

Associate
I'm trying to order an unlocked, unmodified one; any ideas where I should look? Google's turning up nothing.

Also, on the one I have at the moment it's not very clear on how I just have the one SSID for 2.4 and 5. Do I name them both the same thing?

CWIaskT.jpg

Back
Top Bottom