****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Soldato
Opensignal app is what I used to use.

Brilliant!!

I have a dual sim phone. Sim1 is vodafone (no 5g yet) which has a mast not too far away, and Sim2 is on three (5g). That mast seems to be 1,300m away in the other direction. I know the area well so may take a walk when the weathers a bit better.

O6Eco1I.jpg

The yellow X is where the app is telling me the mast is

OK, might be a red herring. Various apps are telling me wildly different things. The opensignal app is telling me there are hundreds of masts all around me, supplying both vodafone and 3 services. No 5g though, which goes against what the 3 website is saying.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sorry to hijack but its the only 5G thread going.

Got my New router and set it to bridge mode, thank god it had it, and 5 mins later everything is GTG.

6xoxUpk.png

Pretty damn happy. Yes ping still isn't uber but, my god i live in the Article circle and still get 50-60ms to most CEurope gaming servers... lol

i do live about ~400 meters from the only 5G tower in town... so that's some luck.. Considering i live about 50 meters from the 1Gbit fibre network at the end of the road.... Which they will never draw to me cos its not worth it for 1 bloody house......

I do expect this to get worse as more users adopt 5G but ill enjoy it for as long as possible :p
Its almost like living in civilization again.

Fantastic, that's some good speeds!!

Brilliant!!

I have a dual sim phone. Sim1 is vodafone (no 5g yet) which has a mast not too far away, and Sim2 is on three (5g). That mast seems to be 1,300m away in the other direction. I know the area well so may take a walk when the weathers a bit better.

O6Eco1I.jpg

OK, might be a red herring. Various apps are telling me wildly different things. The opensignal app is telling me there are hundreds of masts all around me, supplying both vodafone and 3 services. No 5g though, which goes against what the 3 website is saying.

Based on that map, your 5G mast is going to be in the area north east of the dropped pin, probably just south of that shoeprint shaped lake. Ignore the bits under the pin, that's water so the signal travels well as there's zero obstructions. Your mast will 100% be in the middle of that main dark pin area.

This is my coverage map, with the yellow dot being the last location.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Brilliant!!

O6Eco1I.jpg

Couldn't help but have a look, and since I sort of recognised your area, I've found your mast :) Will send you a pm with the location. BTW, it's exactly where I thought it would be.

This is the beast, this streetview is from 2012 so it'll have had the 5G additions to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Brilliant!!

O6Eco1I.jpg

The Opensignal app tells you the direction of the signal you’re receiving and it updates the map based on that. So if yiur phone and SIM are 4G there won’t be any 5G towers indicated. Connect to the 5G signal and try it.

Soldato
Couldn't help but have a look, and since I sort of recognised your area, I've found your mast :) Will send you a pm with the location. BTW, it's exactly where I thought it would be.

This is the beast, this streetview is from 2012 so it'll have had the 5G additions to it.

Thanks for the email. Your map skills are better than mine. Very impressive :D

Soldato
Cellmapper.net and the Cellmapper app for you phone is the best one I have found, much more data, and it is crowd sourced so you can help add to the information to make it more accurate just by having the app installed.

Looking forward to my local Three mast being upgraded to 5G capability over the next few months, will probably swap out the B818-263 for the equivalent 5G model CPE Pro 2 or something, and maybe do the 4x4 MIMO antenna mod on it if I know I can get great speeds, not just average. :)

Caporegime
https://consumer.huawei.com/en/rout...aeaa5ab163b&adcref=forums.thinkbroadband.com/ ID look at this if the frequency is working on UK 5G.
I cant get hold of one to test easily otherwise i probably would buy it :(
Ill have to drag my CPE Pro 2 outdoors on some longer wires to see if it makes a difference. THere's actually a part of my property that has direct LOS to the cell tower. :p
thats gotta be worth a few Mpbs.

Soldato
I've found my Vodaphone 5g to be quite unreliable, speeds are usually quite good, up to 350Mbit, but the amount of problems with websites not loading, sometimes Google won't load but this forum will or vice versa. Can't even change DNS settings in the router either.

Caporegime
10953402870.png

This is mental.....

Soldato
Soldato
As soon as my local Three (3) mast is 5G enabled I'll be installing a Poynting XPOL-2-5G directional antenna to ensure that I get the best signal possible, for 4G it is currently fine with the internal antenna array in the modem.

I'm not sure what will happen first though FTTP, or 5G... the race is on! :)

Soldato
Some good info in this thread chaps.

I've bought a three unlimited data sim. And a cheapish 5g phone. I also have a Asus Wifi 6 AX56U Router.
Idea was to just tether the phone to the router I already had, rather than spend a few hundred on a Huawei router.

I get good coverage where I live. Dark red coverage inside and outside according to their coverage map. On the phone itself I get download speeds of 600 with the Ookla speed test, but much lower for some reason n the other one.

Tethering through the router, unfortunately didn't work very well. Less than 10mbits down and bizarrely about 20 up.

Tethering the phone to a windows PC results in about 300 down. I've shared that connection through the ethernet port on the motherboard, and that's currently feeding into the wan port of the router. That gives me about 200 on devices connected. But it just seems really laggy with things set up like this.
Real noticeable input lag working remotely. So I'm going to have a play at the weekend and see if I can improve things.

I'm thinking either a VM or dedicated hardware pfsense box, using the phone tether connection as the router.

And I'll try the router in bridge mode as a few have mentioned that here.

Any suggestions welcome!

Soldato
The ISPs aren't stupid. They have a method of knowing how many devices are between the client (the device you're using) and them and they can limit what you can do with it. They also have profiles they can apply so the devices connecting get more or less bandwidth, the ability to combine channels wtc. I know of one organisation in Latvia who were reprogramming Mikrotik LTE devices with iPhone IMEI codes at which point the throughput numbers rocketed. Until they got caught and fined heavily by the Latvian regulators.

Associate
Some good info in this thread chaps.

I've bought a three unlimited data sim. And a cheapish 5g phone. I also have a Asus Wifi 6 AX56U Router.
Idea was to just tether the phone to the router I already had, rather than spend a few hundred on a Huawei router.

I get good coverage where I live. Dark red coverage inside and outside according to their coverage map. On the phone itself I get download speeds of 600 with the Ookla speed test, but much lower for some reason n the other one.

Tethering through the router, unfortunately didn't work very well. Less than 10mbits down and bizarrely about 20 up.

Tethering the phone to a windows PC results in about 300 down. I've shared that connection through the ethernet port on the motherboard, and that's currently feeding into the wan port of the router. That gives me about 200 on devices connected. But it just seems really laggy with things set up like this.
Real noticeable input lag working remotely. So I'm going to have a play at the weekend and see if I can improve things.

I'm thinking either a VM or dedicated hardware pfsense box, using the phone tether connection as the router.

And I'll try the router in bridge mode as a few have mentioned that here.

Any suggestions welcome!

I tether my Note 10 5G through an AX3 Wifi6 router as an internet backup, but I don't tether via wifi as that knocks the bandwidth right down, I plug in an USB to ethernet device and connect the Note 10 to WAN port of router and get a good 200-250 DL and 30 upload which is the max I have seen on the phone alone in my office.

So try an ethernet tether from phone, there is additional latency over a fibre but no worse than an old ADSL connection in the region of 25ms.

Soldato
I tether my Note 10 5G through an AX3 Wifi6 router as an internet backup, but I don't tether via wifi as that knocks the bandwidth right down, I plug in an USB to ethernet device and connect the Note 10 to WAN port of router and get a good 200-250 DL and 30 upload which is the max I have seen on the phone alone in my office.

So try an ethernet tether from phone, there is additional latency over a fibre but no worse than an old ADSL connection in the region of 25ms.

Ah ok, cheers for the tip. How would I keep the phone charged though in that setup? I guess via a powered usb-C hub? The phone can't charge wirelessly.

Does the option just appear in settings to tether via ethernet? As it only shows usb and bluetooth.

Soldato
The ISPs aren't stupid. They have a method of knowing how many devices are between the client (the device you're using) and them and they can limit what you can do with it. They also have profiles they can apply so the devices connecting get more or less bandwidth, the ability to combine channels wtc. I know of one organisation in Latvia who were reprogramming Mikrotik LTE devices with iPhone IMEI codes at which point the throughput numbers rocketed. Until they got caught and fined heavily by the Latvian regulators.

I didn't think their sim only deal would be any different than paying for their 5g broadband, which includes the router. But yeah, maybe the traffic management is different. Tethering is stated to be allowed on the product page.

Even if it's down to 200 / 300 through tethering, that'd still be very good.

Associate
Ah ok, cheers for the tip. How would I keep the phone charged though in that setup? I guess via a powered usb-C hub? The phone can't charge wirelessly.

Does the option just appear in settings to tether via ethernet? As it only shows usb and bluetooth.

Yes a USB c hub device, you can also get usb ethernet with pd pass through, many ways.

whether your phone has the option depends on your manufacturer, but it is a standard feature in Android 11 in the connections/tethering menus.

Note I was just using a three pay and go with 5quid unlimited data option, so three aren't capping, its your setup.

Back
Top Bottom