• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah I'm just not enabling XMP tbh as manual settings works perfectly fine so am sticking with that.If/when they sort it then I'll maybe switch it on, but until then manual settings gets the XMP speeds anyway. I believe Kitguru said similar whereby even after XMP profiles on their Asus board detected correct everything, only manually setting the voltage seemed to allow the system to be stable. Clearly XMP profiling is a continued issue for various board makers.

Soldato
I have made a comment for that video to ask why the manual speed settings could not not be applied, in his case to 3600mhz. Don't you think that could have been done..? It is what I used to have to do with my Z390 Master.

Man of Honour
OP
He probably has to overvolt slightly like I did with the 64GB RAM. The 32GB RGB Pro SL I had before this was fine at stock volts though but he has 4 banks full so will need to slightly up the voltage to say 1.36 or 37 to compensate.

DDR4 RAM can take some high voltages to improve stability so it's no problem at all.

Soldato
My 12700k and MSI 690 Pro should arrive tomorrow. Seems a reasonable combination, first time in quite a while since I used a board other than that of Gigabyte.

just couldn't make a 12900k "work" for me.

Soldato
How you guy's getting on with overclocking?

I went straight in with my 12700kf @ 5g on all cores with 1.300v got it stable straight off the bat running Turbo LLC. I could probably have a play around and maybe get this down to 1.280v perhaps?
5.1 seems to take a bit more juice, yet to run all my tests with 1.325 (1.300 crashes) but looking ok so far, next will be 5.2 but I'm think I'll be at 1.375 and to much heat at this point.

Tbh I'm happy with 5g this thing really flys, and it runs really cool compared with my delidded 8700k @ 5.1. It's also nice to have some VRM's with the Z690 you can't cook a chicken.

Soldato

I went straight in with my 12700kf @ 5g on all cores with 1.300v got it stable straight off the bat running Turbo LLC. I could probably have a play around and maybe get this down to 1.280v perhaps?
5.1 seems to take a bit more juice, yet to run all my tests with 1.325 (1.300 crashes) but looking ok so far, next will be 5.2 but I'm think I'll be at 1.375 and to much heat at this point.

Tbh I'm happy with 5g this thing really flys, and it runs really cool compared with my delidded 8700k @ 5.1. It's also nice to have some VRM's with the Z690 you can't cook a chicken.

I was shivked when I seen the temps in my 12900k all in there 20s idle amazing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone filled all 4 NvMe slots on the MB yet ?.

You need to be careful if you a re just whacking a load of drives in, since the configuration is a total mess on some boards, the ASUS STRIX Z690-E Gaming WiFi for example, if you put a drive in the M.2_1 slot, the main PCI-E 16x slot actually falls back to 8x lanes, this isn't an issue if you are using a GPU for the most part as 8x of PCI-E 4.0 is the same as 16x PCI-E 3.0 but it could become an issue if you plan on using the platform long term with regular GPU upgrades. The other M.2 issue is the fact some of the slots share bandwidth across the chipset, so you also need to figure out if you are copying data between drives, which ones are in which slot so you get the full speed, otherwise you might end up with a huge performance drop off.

Soldato
Hopefully doing a 12600K/Asus Z690-P build today but still debating whether to go Win10 or Win11. Saw a really good video on how Win11 uses the Alder Lake cores more efficiently than Win10 but the gaming results were pretty similar. Is Win11 still a dumpster fire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXHcvS7vfYw&t=407s

Had no issues with W11 here. Prefer it, it's faster and generally easier to use.

Associate

Overclocks are good,CPU is hot
51 P-core
40 E-core
CPU - 1.16v
10 minute cinebench23 run 80°C
Got to 5700Mhz so far for PC Gaming overclock but run 5500Mhz daily all core overclock

Soldato
My new pre-built PC is going to be delayed due to the ongoing DDR5 shortage, even though it was supposed to pre-allocated at the time of ordering. :p

Silver cloud and all that, it means I was able to change the memory from Adata to Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB, which is what I would have ordered, but they never offered it at the time.

God know when I'll get it though, hoping for before Xmas.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
im approaching the 14 day RMA time limit before i can return my CPU and board with no ddr5 in sight...

if i end up returning ill just keep my 9900k till zen4 and possibly raptor lake but then i don't like buying (especially intel) when its the tick/refresh as that's usually a dead end

i prefer 1st gen of any new line you get the most out of the platform that way before the next new shiny thing

:rolleyes:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Its getting close to build time:

Arrived

Intel 12900K
Asus ROG Maximus Extreme
Asus ROG Maximus Extreme
MSI Edge Z690
EK-Quantum Velocity² D-RGB - 1700 Nickel + Acetal
EK-Quantum Velocity Backplate - LGA1700

Shipping:

G.Skill Trident-Z5-RGB (32GB) - 6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK

I'll probably end up selling the MSI board.

GKc1iKf.png

Associate
The MSI edge wifi ddr4 has been spot on for me works as it should straight off.

Even worked with no issue when it was booted with an old M2 nvme win10 that had not seen a computer in over 18 months!, just booted up and did 18 months worth of updates :).
+that mvme cam out of a gigabyte board.

Very solid board for the price.

Edit.

I have the Pro wifi not the Edge wifi.

Last edited:
Soldato
The even cheaper MSI Pro Z90 (no Wi-fi) has been setup today with a 12700k. It just worked great with XMP settings and all working.
My Windows 11 build from my Z390 system ran fine, might have helped as I installed the 690 Chipset drivers before I shut it down to swap everything over.
I'll need to adjust to the BIOS and the settings etc.

The LGA 1700 bracket from Arctic Cooling for my AIO fitted well and all seems good so far. A cheap motherboard, somewhat different in how it is built compared to the Z390 Master, but bottom line is it works..!

Back
Top Bottom