• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Soldato
Under 100% load it's usually 1.32-1.33v.

Thanks, I suppose depending on LLC settings when under less than 100% load it can be a little higher.
For me this MSI board has way more option than my Z390 Master and 9900k. But much of that is down to a different generation of CPU's.
Also there is adaptive and offset values I could use with voltage settings.

Much to figure out, without trying to make it too complicated.

Caporegime
So what’s the best program to use these days to check cpu/men speeds and what ever while playing? Been a while :o

Latest Afterburner dropped the other day (4.6.4) and has Alderlake support, use that for osd stats. You can Google for a guide, few on YouTube.

image.png

Soldato
So what’s the best program to use these days to check cpu/men speeds and what ever while playing? Been a while :o

combine with HWinFO64 and you can get some more info, again guides around YT etc....................

screen.png

you can toggle the above via Afterburner. Guides on YT.

For those who use Argus Monitor a version supporting Alder Lake has just been released.

Soldato
For those who have an AL rig could you check the following....

Boot your PC and then run Cinebench and check each core usage using HWiNFO64.........

No-Sleep-2.png

all good.

Then put the PC into sleep mode. Leave it a minute or so and then wake it up.
Then run Cinebench again and note the cores............

After-Sleep.png

you can see that if I would use the sleep function the P cores do not seem to run at their set speed.

For me that would be an all core overclock of 51 for the P and 38 for the E.

It runs perfectly fine without zero issues, unless I have used the sleep function. Then it continues to run fine except for the P Cores issue noted above. If didn't use the sleep function I would not have noticed that.

That is running Windows 11 x64 build 22000.348

If you can test that please note your OS and motherboard.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Vimes will you try something for me, wake the PC from sleep mode start Cinebench and watch the P-Core not use the correct overclock you have set so like above, while its running have Intel Extreme Tuning open to change the AVX offset, firstly put it offset of say +2 and apply, then drop it back to 0 and apply. See if your overclocks then sit where they should.

Soldato
Vimes will you try something for me, wake the PC from sleep mode start Cinebench and watch the P-Core not use the correct overclock you have set so like above, while its running have Intel Extreme Tuning open to change the AVX offset, firstly put it offset of say +2 and apply, then drop it back to 0 and apply. See if your overclocks then sit where they should.

I followed what you have written......

Went to sleep mode and yup the P Cores were not running at their set speed in the BIOS when resumed.
Moved the AVX offset to +2 in that utility and applied whilst Cinebench was running. ALL the P Cores then ran at 51. Whilst it was still running I changed it back to 0 AVX offset and they kept at 51.

Can you try that...?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
OP
I encoded a nearly 8 minute 2400x1080 video recording to 1920x1080 letterboxed in Premiere Rush using the 1080P preset. Got to see how it utilises both CPU and GPU and was rather impressed. Took 22 seconds to encode and there was full GPU utilisation with wide threaded CPU use:

PremRush_CPU.jpg

PremRush_GPU.jpg

I am using the nVidia Studio driver btw not the Game Ready driver. I know Studio driver is geared toward content creators for media creation and overall stability so not sure if that makes a difference but either way, very nice.

Soldato
I followed what you have written......

Went to sleep mode and yup the P Cores were not running at their set speed in the BIOS when resumed.
Moved the AVX offset to +2 in that utility and applied whilst Cinebench was running. ALL the P Cores then ran at 51. Whilst it was still running I changed it back to 0 AVX offset and they kept at 51.

Can you try that...?

Thanks.

So moving the AVX sliders got them working again? without a reboot or anything else?

Soldato
So moving the AVX sliders got them working again? without a reboot or anything else?

Yes it did.

It did as soon as I moved them to AVX 2+ and then applied, once applied the values changed to where they should be. Immediately all the cores went to 5.1Ghz. Putting the AVX to 0 and they maintained the 5.1Ghz. No reboot required, using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility 7.5.3.3

it a few times but it is not exact, in terms of a 100% resolve. But it did do what I noted the very first time.

Soldato
Yeah, its a similar thing to what I found while testing some overclocks last week, my board would maintain a +1 AVX offset even though Bios is set to 0, switching in IXT seems to settle it out. Thinking it's a board bios issues which will be fixed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, its a similar thing to what I found while testing some overclocks last week, my board would maintain a -1 AVX offset even though Bios is set to 0, switching in IXT seems to settle it out. Thinking it's a board bios issues which will be fixed.

I seemed to remember you posting something about that at one point (?). I am thinking with this being a generational big change from Intel there will be issues that could be related between Intel / Microsoft and then the board makers in terms of BIOS releases that will be resolved over time.
IIRC you have a Gigabyte board.

The IXT is very good, altho I use an Adaptive+Offset value for my vcore. The IXT doesn't support that.

Back
Top Bottom