• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Associate
@Vimes Have you tried the IGPU on the 12700k, I ran mine for the first 2 days with it.(can't afford a water leak with the price of GFX)
So impressed with the quality of the picture it gives watching Youtube ect, way better picture quality than my Nvidia 1070, really put it to shame.

Soldato
@Troop Interesting, thanks for letting me know. Surprised at what you note in terms of the quality.

No I haven't tried it yet. I have just got my RGB LED lights up and going, only one header on this motherboard where my Z390 Master had two.

What cooler are you using on it for now, or do you intend to go back to an AIO..?

Associate
I fitted the Arctic AIO as it was one of the few I knew would fit with the bracket, First AIO for me so was not sure what to expect.
Have always built my own water loops before.

Impressed with the Arctic though....silent and very good cooling (280mm)

Soldato
ah, bet you are impressed with the Arctic, mine is a 420mm. Just CPU fan control and nothing else to bother about.

I have found a beta BIOS for my MSI board, well two revisions in fact. Over at.....

GAMING Motherboards | MSI Global English Forum - Index

not sure if you would find one or even wish to test them out. But at least that link if the forums that seem to get noticed by MSI.

Are you running your 12700k at stock or overclocked..?

Associate
I'm running the 12600k stock but only to set it up before overclocking.
Used Magician to migrate the old boot drive to a new Evo today so all good .

Had a quick look at the MSI bios, going to be fun working that out as its laid out... lets say different.
No problem running XMP with the board though.

Soldato
@Troop - ah you have a 12600k. You must be pleased with it, great performing CPU.
Yup, so different to the years of using a Gigabyte BIOS. Still pleased, and relieved, that it all booted up tho - always a twitching moment until you get POST.
I have not bothered in buying another horizontal GPU mount, for the 4x option. I have just installed my 3070 in the motherboards direct slot.

Associate
unknown.png

https://browser.geekbench.com/v3/cpu/8972840

My voltages for now before tuning then down. 1.34 llc4. 1.4SA. 1.5dram. 51x Pcores, 40x Ecores and 42x cache. HT on.

Associate
Is there any significance to batch numbers for 12th gen? The first 12700K I was sent had batch number V134I595Q, the second(ordered for less) is V137J978. I have not seen any with letters on the end like the first chip, but it most likely means absolutely nothing. Can't test since I have no motherboard, unfortunately. Just trying to decide which to keep.

Soldato
@Tiggerlator Agree with you when you wrote it differences in OC with this AL CPU.
For me it is made more so as I have been used to Gigabyte motherboards and BIOS's, this is my first MSI motherboard. I did not want another Gigabyte board. The BIOS differences between those two is pretty great.

I have noted another person use LLC of 4, an adaptive + offset vcore of -0.095v with a 5Ghz OC for the P Cores. But each person's settings and how they are applied will be different.

As yet I have kept to std settings, been happy enough to ensure stability of the new motherboard and CPU.

I have been pleased in one game, noting an uplift of more than 30% from my 5.1Ghz O/C 9900k to a std clocked 12700k. Only done from a screenshot at the same place and noting the FPS increase.

I have noted that these CPU's have a lowest clock of 400mhz. IIRC my 9900k was 800mhz. No wonder their idle temps are so low.

Soldato
The AL CPU's are running cool on idle - have you noticed that they drop down to 400Mhz. My 9900k would only go as low as 800Mhz. But that was typically around 28c or so at idle.

Games, generally, don't demand too much compared to something like Cinebench R23.

I'll be happier when Argus monitor can effectively control my fans. They don't seem to have updated this yet for the 690 chipset / AL platform.

I have just overclocked my 12700k to 5Ghz with the P Cores at 3.8Ghz. The v-core used, manually, seems less than what it was when left at stock and default settings with the MSI BIOS. That isn't too unusual.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
January time iirc for announcement.

My idle and casual usage temps are pretty immense,impressed for sure. They have settled into these figures now that the cooler/paste etc seemed to have "bedded in" if that's even a thing with coolers and paste.

wyUhUVu.jpg

V F

V F

Soldato
It's at 26% try it at 100%. My custom loop with my CPU at 5.1 100% is 74c, there's no way your freezer 2 will better that.

...and 20 minutes is nothing. Try 2 - 3 plus hours of gameplay and see where it is then. 26% in a way sounds like a light game. I see the likes of Doom Eternal pushing 71 - 96% on certain cores with 121W.

Back
Top Bottom