• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Sgarrista
Commissario
Well today it turned up.

What an absolute monster.

IMG-20211210-142634.jpg

Sgarrista
Commissario
Aha, so a bit later on in the instructions you actually remove these 2 bottom NVME drives, put the monoblick under them and then a second plate on the back, ok :)

RSR

RSR

Soldato
You do know that top M.2 slot shares PCI lanes, so the bottom x16 PCIe will be disabled and the top one will run at x8?

V F

V F

Soldato
Just closed my eyes and entered the credit card information while sobbing quietly.

Oh, this the one at £1,669? Still a lovely looking board. I assume the processor cools a lot better with a monoblock since it has a much larger surface area even with the VRMs to cool... Instead of the processor block standalone.

Sgarrista
Commissario
You do know that top M.2 slot shares PCI lanes, so the bottom x16 PCIe will be disabled and the top one will run at x8?

Good point, but from the benchies ive seen the difference is going to be imperceptible.

However, bigger issue, cpu code 00 :(

Could have a dead cpu, that would suck.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Ahhh man :(

Reseat it, and remove the BIOS battery for a bit and try again.

Re-seating no dice, 1 stick of mem no dice, all nvmes removed no dice, diff stick of ram, no dice. Battery remove, cmos clears no luck.

Thought id try one last thing, change the battery out.

We have life :)

V F

V F

Soldato
Re-seating no dice, 1 stick of mem no dice, all nvmes removed no dice, diff stick of ram, no dice. Battery remove, cmos clears no luck.

Thought id try one last thing, change the battery out.

We have life
:)

Funny how the simplest of things can be a real pain. Imagine you never had a replacement cr2032.

Associate
I received my 12900k and Asus Strix D4 motherboard on Thursday.
I installed yesterday using my ddr4 memory and H150i Pro aio with the new stand off screws.
I've had nothing but trouble with high temperatures causing throttling etc.
Re-seated cooler twice and it does fit snug so no issues there.
Installed new bios etc not much better.
Loads of room \ fans on my obsidian 1000d case.
I done loads of youtube videos and forum posts and tried their advice and still no good.
I'm going to send the mobo and 12900k back.
Not a very good experience to be truthful.

Soldato
@Speirs What sort of temps concern you..?
Are you running defaults with NO type of overclock.? If so what does your vcore run at when at full P and E cores load to give you concern..?
Are your fan profiles etc correct for the temps you are seeing..?

Is the throttling only when running things like Cinebench or what other type of usage...?

Associate
Yes, defaults with no overclock.
Vcore is up and down.
Vcore goes up to 1.34v with a 4.8ghz until the temps go up to 100c then throttles down to 1.15v at 4.4ghz in cinebench r15 cpu test.
When playing BFV my 3090 doesn't go over 50% usage whilst cpu is up and down with some temps in the 100c range.
Fans are ramped up to the max on rad and in case.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Yes, defaults with no overclock.
Vcore is up and down.
Vcore goes up to 1.34v with a 4.8ghz until the temps go up to 100c then throttles down to 1.15v at 4.4ghz in cinebench r15 cpu test.
When playing BFV my 3090 doesn't go over 50% usage whilst cpu is up and down with some temps in the 100c range.

Spikes or were there some long term moments on some of the cores?

Back
Top Bottom