• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Soldato
If I ran my 12700k at default it would throttle in Cinebench R23. By adding an offset value, checking for stability, it will reduce the vcore enough to reduce those temps without throttling. Take a look at my 12700k at 5.1Ghz P Cores and 4Ghz E Cores....

Cinenbench.png

That has a 0.060v as an offset. It uses 1.275v when under 100% load for the vcore.

Soldato
Thought I'd settled for an all core overclock of 5.1 and 4.0 on the E Cores, adaptive voltage, 1.280 under load.
.decided to see how far it would go on 1.300.

P CORES

E CORES @4.1, few rounds on BF2042, Timespy extreme CPU test looped, stable thus far.

Soldato
With my MSI BIOS, guessing the same, you would want adaptive+offset.

That way the adaptive voltage still changes with the processor speed range but you are introducing an offset to those values.
The - 0.070v is a guestimate that you'll need to fine tune on how stable / cool it is.
Perhaps with using LLC as well.

Associate
I received my 12900k and Asus Strix D4 motherboard on Thursday.
I installed yesterday using my ddr4 memory and H150i Pro aio with the new stand off screws.
I've had nothing but trouble with high temperatures causing throttling etc.
Re-seated cooler twice and it does fit snug so no issues there.
Installed new bios etc not much better.
Loads of room \ fans on my obsidian 1000d case.
I done loads of youtube videos and forum posts and tried their advice and still no good.
I'm going to send the mobo and 12900k back.
Not a very good experience to be truthful.

My brother got that mobo and the only issue he has is the memory wont run at its native 3600

no doubt a bios update will cure this in the coming weeks/months and it is a great looking board though

Man of Honour
OP
What is it showing for CPU and GPU utilisation during those moments? One will be dropping during the frame drop which will highlight what it could be. If you have a BG app that uses GPU for example then that might explain it. I forget sometimes I have Lightroom open and as that uses GPU acceleration, see frame drops until I tab out and close it.

@mrk did you see another release BIOS for your board..?

Z690 GAMING X DDR4 (rev. 1.0) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

1. Checksum : A809
  2. Improve DDR XMP 3200~3600MHz compatibility
  3. Add Legacy Game Compatibility Mode option
might help...?

BTW I have just ordered a Gigabyte motherboard to see if it can replace my MSI.

Ah cheers, I did check yesterday when I read MSI released a BIOS update that improved performance so GB must have outed their one today. Will install later this eve as have stuff to do first!

Soldato
bios 0807 for strix d4, out today.

ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 BIOS 0807
"1.Improve System Performance and stability
2.Improve device compatibility.
3.Support Legacy Game Compatibility Mode to fix DRM (Digital Rights Management) issue.
4.Improve DRAM stability
5.Update CPU microcode
6.Fix Intel VMD issue

Associate
With my MSI BIOS, guessing the same, you would want adaptive+offset.

That way the adaptive voltage still changes with the processor speed range but you are introducing an offset to those values.
The - 0.070v is a guestimate that you'll need to fine tune on how stable / cool it is.
Perhaps with using LLC as well.
It has helped a bit but still not the best.
Anyone else got the Strix D4 mobo who can give me their settings to try please?

Sgarrista
Commissario
Graphics card in, 3090 FTW3 with black acetal bottom side (to match the black at the bottom of the mobo) and nickel to match the top of the mobo for an active backplate.

IMG-20211211-182658.jpg

IMG-20211211-182608.jpg

RSR

RSR

Soldato
That boards a proper work of art, I have mine on the test bench at the moment and if all goes well ill install it tomorrow.

Man of Honour
OP
BIOS installed, nothing of note so far but I simply restored the saved settings lol so not flicked to XMP and still using manually set RAM settings. If it still doesn't work I cba with opening the case up to clear CMOS.

I will just leave the RAM manually configured to XMP I think.

Back
Top Bottom