• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Soldato
I don't know if anyone else is like me, but when doing a new build, before pressing the power switch on for the first time, I'm always thinking, did I put the CPU in correctly, is everything connected that should be, and...is it going to blow up!?!

Phew!

Always a bum twicher until the PC goes through POST, then a relief as that is the first indication that the parts are working....!

Soldato
Always a bum twicher until the PC goes through POST, then a relief as that is the first indication that the parts are working....!

If you have one of the exploding Z690 boards or Nvidia cards, definitely. I’d have a GoPro fitted inside the case streaming live.

Soldato

I haven't done a post yet, just powered on sans monitor, etc just to see if everything powered up.

Will be installing Win 11 tomorrow.

Just added the matching Corsair ML140's to the build.

I know the system isn't under stress, but it's so quiet!

7NY1hSp.jpg

RSR

RSR

Soldato
how do you find the temps all auto?

anyone else finding vcore way to much like 1.35+ and 93c odd

I all depends on the type of load, if its AVX using something like R23 its gonna get hot.

You can build a level of protection if you run a Asus board, you can set the following variables:

Package Temperature Threshold [90]
Regulate Frequency by above Threshold [Enabled]

Package Temperature Threshold can be a value of your choosing.

Associate
Alderlake 12600k testing various configurations. Everything is overclocked and stability tested with OCCT Large/Avx2 Extreme. For Shadow of the Tomb Raider, pay attention to the "CPU Game" average, not the main score. For FF Endwalker, Overall score is fine. HT = Hyperthreading Pcores/Ecores/Cache. Where ecores = disabled: Pcores/Cache.

Config 1: HT ON. Ecores ON. 53/41/44. 16/4200 SR mem
unknown.png

unknown.png

Config 2: HT OFF. Ecores ON. 53/41/44. 16/4200 SR mem
unknown.png

unknown.png

Config 3: HT ON. Ecores OFF. 53/50. 16/4200 SR mem
unknown.png

unknown.png

Config 4: HT OFF. Ecores OFF. 53/50. 16/4200 SR mem
unknown.png

unknown.png

VS 9900k HT OFF. 52/48. 16/4400 SR mem *look at CPU Game Average to compare*
unknown.png

Associate
@MartinPrince since you got a 9700k. For sure move to ADL. Just get a 12600k and disable Ht. Leave ecores on. Reuse ddr4 as well. Asus Prime P or Msi Pro A are fine. Avoid GB and Asrock as usual. If you want that picture test run just remind me now again.

Daily. HT off with ecores on. 4200 needs too much SA and dram voltage i feel so maybe if bios gets more tuning, I'll use it later but equally stable and performance diff is non existent really. For ADL, use Y Cruncher 2.5b 4-5 times and then occt large/avx2 extreme. TM5 anta is useless for mem this time.

unknown.png

Last edited:
Soldato
@MartinPrince since you got a 9700k. For sure move to ADL. Just get a 12600k and disable Ht. Leave ecores on. Reuse ddr4 as well. Asus Prime P or Msi Pro A are fine. Avoid GB and Asrock as usual. If you want that picture test run just remind me now again.

Daily. HT off with ecores on. 4200 needs too much SA and dram voltage i feel so maybe if bios gets more tuning, I'll use it later but equally stable and performance diff is non existent really. For ADL, use Y Cruncher 2.5b 4-5 times and then occt large/avx2 extreme. TM5 anta is useless for mem this time.

unknown.png
Funny, I just started to reply to one of your earlier messages this morning, in part seeing what your AIDA64 Mem benchmark was like for latency and lo and behold!

That latency is not too shabby at all; are those the same sticks that you were running on your 9900K that did around 35ns if I remember correctly?

If you want to try you can try with DXO Photolab 5 trial and the details and preset are still in this thread here. AMD vs Intel Single threading? (post no. 163)

Last edited:
Alderlake 12600k testing various configurations. Everything is overclocked and stability tested with OCCT Large/Avx2 Extreme. For Shadow of the Tomb Raider, pay attention to the "CPU Game" average, not the main score. For FF Endwalker, Overall score is fine. HT = Hyperthreading Pcores/Ecores/Cache. Where ecores = disabled: Pcores/Cache.

Config 1: HT ON. Ecores ON. 53/41/44. 16/4200 SR mem
unknown.png

unknown.png

Config 2: HT OFF. Ecores ON. 53/41/44. 16/4200 SR mem
unknown.png

unknown.png

Config 3: HT ON. Ecores OFF. 53/50. 16/4200 SR mem
unknown.png

unknown.png

Config 4: HT OFF. Ecores OFF. 53/50. 16/4200 SR mem
unknown.png

unknown.png

VS 9900k HT OFF. 52/48. 16/4400 SR mem *look at CPU Game Average to compare*
unknown.png

Found Process Lasso the best option per game. Some like HT some don’t. E cores good for discord and other processes.

Also wouldn’t be recommending ASUS till we know how many of their boards catch fire! So far just the TUFF boards.

Last edited:
Soldato
First upgrade in years from my trusty i7 2700k Sandy Bridge. Still need to do some tidying and get a new GPU (will probably wait for next gen), also will get some fancier/faster DDR5 when it becomes more available.

12900k, AORUS Elite AX, 2x 16GB DDR5 4800, Sammy 980 Pro 1TB + 2TB

Soldato
It's alive!

Nice new clean Windows 11 installation, and now lots of reinstalling!

And I can't believe how quiet it is, considering there are 10 fans in the system (albeit two of those are in the GPU and silent at idle)!

And the Phanteks P600S is absolutely the best case I have ever owned or worked in, really a joy.

2VYsmV1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
nice! Although the brightness of those LEDs do you not find a distraction on one side when gaming in dim lighting or just using the PC in general?

The LED rings are err, duller(?) IRL than they look in that photo and the PC is not that noticeable out of the corner of my eye to be honest, I haven't felt the need to turn them off as of yet.

Back
Top Bottom