• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Soldato
Turns out that they renamed it to surgical spirits and you can’t buy the 70% proof stuff because they are worried people will huff it.

You can only buy the 99.9% stuff. Will pick some up this week - I’m building my new rig.

I agree that it’s a nanny state but it’s a bit hypocritical when every corner has a off-license open late so that you can drown your sorrows in the wee hours.

Yeah some things in England make about as much sense as a chocolate teapot.

Caporegime
The UK is a nanny state, I asked in boots a while ago, 1 staff member had never heard of it and the other looked like I'd just asked if I could photocopy my buttocks and plaster them all over the store "oh no we wouldn't sell that sort of thing here" really weird country.

The rainforest does litre bottles for £10 though.
It is, the state feels like its needs to protect people for their stupidity, i say let darwinism take its course but i have very little tolerance for stupid, As @Dicehunter said you can get it from Amazon.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Gigabyte have released F8b BIOS, I will not update still because.... reasons :p

Seems to note more compatibility for RAM modules. I have everything working perfect so won't be touching it lol.

Soldato
Gigabyte have released F8b BIOS, I will not update still because.... reasons :p

Seems to note more compatibility for RAM modules. I have everything working perfect so won't be touching it lol.

What BIOS are you on?

Soldato
Ah ok. I updated to F6 and tried XMP profile but got a BSOD within 30 mins. Back to default and seems fine again so not sure whats going on. It's corsair vengence 32GB 4x8GB.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah at 3600MHz mine is unstable, at 3500MHz it is 100% stable, that's with tweaked memory voltages and system agent etc too. Performance wise it is a 0% difference so I just keep it at 3500MHz.

Soldato
In the msi bios, in the vf curve menu under advanced offset mode overclocking, does the last/bottom option have an adjustable ratio and this is point 11 as per Asus settings? Msi has 8 total settings as opposed to 11?

If you wanted to mainly negative offset just a 50x multiplier all core (or even 48 or 49 for testing first) on a 12700k, what options from 1-8 would you change on the vf curve? Presumably 6,7 and 8?

There seems to be info about stating certain combinations of changes on the vf curve invalidate the settings and it will default auto. Msi doesn't even use the default 11?

Soldato
Re ^ as update:

8 settings on MSI Z690 Tomahawk with 12700k (latest Apr BIOS). Default 7-10 repeated as no.8 as per ASUS isn't the case on the VF curve options. I believe setting 8 represents normal option 11. Setting 7 is default 48x multi and setting 8 is default 50x multi with 12700k. Very clever in being able to offset voltage exact multipliers which in turn eliminates any low load instability.

Soldato
Whats the difference between CPU SA VID voltage which for ASrock boards is 0.941v default and VCCSA voltage on the motherboard? Can you adjust the CPU SA VID voltage for better overclocked ram stability or is it a totally different thing?

Associate
Whats the difference between CPU SA VID voltage which for ASrock boards is 0.941v default and VCCSA voltage on the motherboard? Can you adjust the CPU SA VID voltage for better overclocked ram stability or is it a totally different thing?

Jusr focus on vccsa for mem tuning. SA vid should self adjust from that.

Man of Honour
OP
I've bumped up my dram voltage to 1.37v as had an out of the blue CTD from Resident Evil Village recently. I'm actually not sure whether to do that or just notch up the VCCSA however. I guess if it remains stable at this, keep as is.

Soldato
Jusr focus on vccsa for mem tuning. SA vid should self adjust from that.
Unfortunately on my ASrock Phantom Gaming ITX TB4 motherboard, there is no control over the VCCSA voltage. By default, its set at 1.648v which i've been told is really high? This is something that ASrock has set and there's not a thing i can do about it.

I've managed to get the memory to 6200mhz on XMP timings at 1.35v but a quick HCI Memtest last night came up with an error in the short 100% run. Would this be a timing issue or needing more voltage still? I did a 4 hour aida64 stability test and it was fine, no crashes.

Edit: I can adjust the CPU SA VID through the FIVR settings by setting an override but tbh im still not sure what CPU SA VID does or what it helps by increasing it.

Associate
SA at 1.648v is def going to degrade your CPU if that is real. Check hwinfo64 in OS and see how it actually reads. Hopefully it's just a bios bug.

VID is what your CPU is requesting, what's it's getting is what what matters. Unless asrock really f'd things up, you don't need to touch your vid.

For DDR5 since the mem controller is running at half speed, gear 2, you don't need much SA at all. Stock SA on z690 is 0.95v which is plenty for what you're running.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HJnQnRtgvkJ329tQemyiWawclISV-u9wON0jpNoQZJ4/edit it's a work in progress you can get ideas of DDR5 voltages, timings and tuning here.

Probably not what you want to hear but never buy asrock for any form of OC or tuning. Infact, don't buy asrock in general.

Back
Top Bottom