******** The Official amateur radio thread ********

Permabanned
Generally speaking such power levels are illegal, but so is going over the speed limit, yet most all cars for sale can go WELL over most limits. I think if you can think of a good enough reason many licensing authorities will grant you a temporary permit for high power testing, in the UK a "Notice of Variation". The Yanks and Italians don't worry about annoying stuff like that though ;)

Henry Radio used to do a valved 70cms. amplifier that whacked out near 2kW or so, there was one for sale in the UK on Ham Radio Deals last year. The valves like many other big 'uns are hard to find new though and about £1500 each.

I've got a Henry amp used as a laminate dryer that would put out over 5kW on 27 / 28 MHz if I put an aerial on it, not that I'd dream of such a stunt of course. I built a 6600 volts @ 2 Amps single phase DC anode supply for it as the OE one was three phase. I've got another Henry on the 14 MHz industrial band, again 5 or 6kW, it's tempting to put a dipole on it I have to admit ;)

The initial rectifier board I built was on a paper based laminate, because it was cheap, like me, and it didn't like over 6kV and exploded, I think I have photos somewhere, sounded like a gunshot, I remember 'er indoors was sad to find me alive and uninjured, albeit in a room full of acrid smoke.

Would also make a good electric chair ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Just got an arrow antenna in the post and hoping to have a go at FM satellites with my D72. I've watched some videos of people doing it and they speak very quickly! I thought I had it on 1.5x speed! See how I get on with it...

Commissario
OP
CQ WW SSB raw (unchecked) scores are up, if anyone put in an entry.

WAE RTTY this weekend.

Just got an arrow antenna in the post and hoping to have a go at FM satellites with my D72. I've watched some videos of people doing it and they speak very quickly! I thought I had it on 1.5x speed! See how I get on with it...
I bet one of those is Pete, 2M0SQL.

Commissario
OP
Day one was OK. I'm doing a single band entry and this is (approximately) what I worked.

cbecAqL.png

My wife is working all this weekend so I'm free to play radio but I had to finish a good few hours earlier than I wanted and the band was still open. Disappointed not to have worked PY or LU today and a bit surprised not to have managed the west coast of the US.

From looking at my HamClock, 10m was flying earlier but generally conditions are nowhere near as good as they've been for the last couple of weeks. Lots of absorption up to high frequencies which doesn't help. This is now (19:30z).

3umGMP3.png

I'll get up a bit earlier tomorrow and hopefully be there as the band opens.

Soldato
I'm experiencing a bit of a drop in interest. I've worked that PJ5 on a few bands recently but that's the only thing since November. The bands/areas I like to work are currently not aligning to my work pattern.

Got T2C card back recently which I was fairly cuffed about but - Meh!

Commissario
OP
I'm experiencing a bit of a drop in interest. I've worked that PJ5 on a few bands recently but that's the only thing since November. The bands/areas I like to work are currently not aligning to my work pattern.
Oh that's a shame, is it a case of the higher HF bands being closed in the evening?

It's not going away though. We all get a bit of a mojo loss from time to time but the hobby isn't going anywhere.

Man of Honour
Just had a email from Ofcom about amateur radio licence changes from today. They will be sending out new licence documents shortly.

I think that these are the new changes (from Essex Ham):

Phase 1 – Implemented 21st February 2024:​

• RSLs (Wales, Scotland, NI, etc) are now optional (Except for Intermediate 2x, where letter is mandatory)
  • Those in England are now able to add an optional “E” to their callsign at Foundation and Full (e.g. ME7QQQ)
  • Any suffix is now allowed after a callsign (e.g. “M7QQQ/Garden”)
  • If a special prefix is allowed by Ofcom (as for Queen’s Jubilee), no need to apply for an NoV
  • New applicants will only be allowed to hold one personal licence
  • Power increases:
    • Foundation: 25 watts (most bands) – the consultation was for 20 watts
    • Intermediate: 100 watts (most bands)
    • Full: 1,000 watts (primary bands)
  • Airborne to be permitted to a maximum of 0.5 watts EIRP (primary bands)
  • Supervision of unlicensed people at all 3 levels
  • More flexibility for Beacons, Gateways and Repeaters
  • Updates to remote and unattended operation
  • New “Data Station” mode (mainly for machine-to-machine modes)
  • Foundation licence holders can now build their own equipment/kits
  • Foundation licence holders now have access to 2.4GHz and 5GHz (max 2 watts)

Soldato
Oh that's a shame, is it a case of the higher HF bands being closed in the evening?

It's not going away though. We all get a bit of a mojo loss from time to time but the hobby isn't going anywhere

I think it has just been other priorities getting in the way unfortunately and yes I really enjoy working into Central America/Caribbean on a late evening but 20-10 has been closing at 8-9pm.

Since my last post I've had a bit of time and decided to focus on 10m only so I put a 3 element monoband yagi on the mast and been having an absolute blast!.

In other news, and this is going to sound odd given I've had my full ticket for 10 years, and been licenced for 15 years + in total, I took part in my first 144mhz UKAC on Tuesday. I live in IO94JM which is pretty much limited in all directions by hills. It was 'OK' but I found lots of people were out /P so I'm inspired to give that ago over the summer.

Crikey I'm fickle!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had a email from Ofcom about amateur radio licence changes from today. They will be sending out new licence documents shortly.

I think that these are the new changes (from Essex Ham)

My brother is a 2E0 and also still has is M6 licence, he has an email from OfCom in relation to changes relating to his FL. I'm assuming they are sending notifications out in batches.

I surrendered by FL/IM as soon as I got my Full ticket but it appears there's a bit of confusion about when/how historic licences will be revoked.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My brother is a 2E0 and also still has is M6 licence, he has an email from OfCom in relation to changes relating to his FL. I'm assuming they are sending notifications out in batches.

I surrendered by FL/IM as soon as I got my Full ticket but it appears there's a bit of confusion about when/how historic licences will be revoked.
Yes, new licence notifications are going out in batches.

All the changes are live and relevant info can be found here:

Commissario
OP
I think it has just been other priorities getting in the way unfortunately and yes I really enjoy working into Central America/Caribbean on a late evening but 20-10 has been closing at 8-9pm.
That's generally the way at this time of year but as the days get longer, they'll stay open longer. 10m has been doing well though, it's been open a lot later recently.

Since my last post I've had a bit of time and decided to focus on 10m only so I put a 3 element monoband yagi on the mast and been having an absolute blast!.
Good choice, a friend of mine loves 10m and normally slaps up a large monobander just for the couple of years at solar peak. I think he had a four or five element up last time!

Aye, looks as though the emails are going out bit by bit. Another friend has had one, I've not had anything yet.

As far as I'm concerned, the sooner these old callsigns are revoked, the better. I never understood why the change was made after BR68 to allow people to keep their old callsigns. You go up a class of licence, you get a new callsign and the old one is revoked, that's how it was and should never really have changed.

Looking forward to hearing some M8s and M9s on the air though, I wonder how many people will make the change voluntarily.

Commissario
OP
“Beneficial to everyone”

**** off.

The only people some of these changes are beneficial to are Ofcom. We’re already seeing interference to existing repeaters by idiots just setting one up with no consideration to the existing infrastructure, there’s been confusion with RSLs and frankly, allowing callsigns to be reissued after five years is offensive.

These logistical changes are by Ofcom to make things easier for them to administer, nothing more.

Associate
Its good they have increased the power limit. I always make sure my license hasn't lapsed even though I don't operate now days due to not being allowed any outdoor antennas. I did try with indoor antennas which were always pants no matter what.

I might do some portable work this summer... if I get some spare time from my other hobbies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom