Votes: 18 8.9%
  • HomePod mini - No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HomePod mini - Possibly, I'll wait and see what the reviews are like first

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
Commissario
OP
I never fail to be impressed by the audio quality of the full size HomePod, stick something on, wind the volume up a tad and it sounds great. It certainly wasn't a miss due to the audio quality.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I don’t completely agree with this. In my opinion, Apple offers the best smartphone, easily the best tablet on the market and now the best laptops with the M1 devices.

Yes the HomePod could be considered a bit of a miss for many reasons, but you can’t really say that for the majority of their product line.
Agree on iPhone and M1 everything (the MacBook Air is *incredible*).

But things like iCloud (miserly 5GB free tier, paid tiers designed to make you pay £6.99 because the £2.49 tier is too limited), News (70% of the headlines are for subscribers only, why not offer an option to not show them), Podcasts (the app has been *ruined* in the name of bringing in subscription revenue)… the list goes on.

Apple protects the iPhone, makes a tonne of money off it, and now needs to get significant recurring revenue off us as well.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I never fail to be impressed by the audio quality of the full size HomePod, stick something on, wind the volume up a tad and it sounds great. It certainly wasn't a miss due to the audio quality.
Would love to have a few around the house, but absolutely refuse to be locked in.

Soldato
Agree on iPhone and M1 everything (the MacBook Air is *incredible*).

But things like iCloud (miserly 5GB free tier, paid tiers designed to make you pay £6.99 because the £2.49 tier is too limited), News (70% of the headlines are for subscribers only, why not offer an option to not show them), Podcasts (the app has been *ruined* in the name of bringing in subscription revenue)… the list goes on.

Apple protects the iPhone, makes a tonne of money off it, and now needs to get significant recurring revenue off us as well.

Most of them are doing it now as well, alphabet recently changed the terms of google photos to no longer have unlimited free storage.

There will come a point where people won’t keep paying for all these subs, I feel we are getting to the stage now - TV streaming services and sports (in the uk at least) have reached the bubble now.

Associate
iCloud (miserly 5GB free tier, paid tiers designed to make you pay £6.99 because the £2.49 tier is too limited)

79p for 50GB is good value and is going to be plenty for most people. If you're putting absolutely everything into iCloud (backups, all your photos, etc etc) then fair enough you'll need more. But that's not really any different to Google. You can still use Google Photos if you want, OneDrive, etc.

News (70% of the headlines are for subscribers only, why not offer an option to not show them)

Fair enough on the premium headlines, but again nobody is forcing you to use Apple News app. Just download any other news app that you don't have to pay for?

Podcasts (the app has been *ruined* in the name of bringing in subscription revenue)

Ruined how? I don't pay for Podcasts and the app is fine for me. Again, nobody forcing anyone to use the Podcasts app, just download Spotify or any other app.

the list goes on

Like what? :) Apple Music? Apple TV+? Once again, Apple isn't forcing you to use their apps nor the premium subscription versions of those apps. They're there if you want to.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

79p for 50GB is good value and is going to be plenty for most people. If you're putting absolutely everything into iCloud (backups, all your photos, etc etc) then fair enough you'll need more. But that's not really any different to Google. You can still use Google Photos if you want, OneDrive, etc.

Fair enough on the premium headlines, but again nobody is forcing you to use Apple News app. Just download any other news app that you don't have to pay for?

Ruined how? I don't pay for Podcasts and the app is fine for me. Again, nobody forcing anyone to use the Podcasts app, just download Spotify or any other app.

Like what? :) Apple Music? Apple TV+? Once again, Apple isn't forcing you to use their apps nor the premium subscription versions of those apps. They're there if you want to.
Sounds like you're a pretty happy user.

Soldato
Would love to have a few around the house, but absolutely refuse to be locked in.

I would have preferred Sonos for flexibility, but voice commands are so convenient (when Siri works) and I don’t really want Amazon or Google recording what happens in my house.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

You left me thinking, and I uninstalled the News app this morning because I realised I was launching it every couple of days and always getting annoyed by the nickel and diming.

Soldato
You left me thinking, and I uninstalled the News app this morning because I realised I was launching it every couple of days and always getting annoyed by the nickel and diming.

I get full Apple News as part of Apple One, but the editors keep inserting 'curated news articles' (woke causes du jour) I don't want to read and you can't block them. News+ is a tenner a month (outside of Apple One) and Apple insist on shovelling their chosen 'news' down your neck and you can't do a damn thing to stop them even when you pay for the service.

Associate
I get full Apple News as part of Apple One, but the editors keep inserting 'curated news articles' (woke causes du jour) I don't want to read and you can't block them. News+ is a tenner a month (outside of Apple One) and Apple insist on shovelling their chosen 'news' down your neck and you can't do a damn thing to stop them even when you pay for the service.

Yeah I mainly use News+ for the magazine subscriptions that you get with it, but if I didn't have Apple One I wouldn't subscribe to it.

Soldato
Purchased a full-size HomePod that should hopefully be with me soon. The smart side of things doesn't bother me too much, but the seamless connectivity and sound quality does.

How do people have theirs set up? And do you notice any change in sound when you've got it in an open space vs against a corner?

Soldato
I wonder if there is a solution to this:

I have two full sized Homepods and two Minis in separate stereo pairs. The former are in my conservatory which opens onto my kitchen in a big L shape, and the Minis are in the Kitchen. I have all four devices assigned to one room so when I say 'Hey Siri play music in the conservatory,' all four Homepods fire up. I want to sync them so I set the volume once and all four go up or down at the same time. Unfortunately, they operate independently as pairs so increasing the volume on the Minis does not alter the other pair and vice versa. I also have problems where one pair ends up playing one track and the other pair play something different.

Is there any way to lock all four into a group so they always do exactly the same thing? My Google searching suggests the answer is 'no' and that's a bit disappointing.

Soldato
Yes it will.

"Hey Siri play virgin radio from tunein please" works.

It's not, really. It's just like any woman, you need to know how to speak to her ;)

this has stopped working and is doing my bloody head in. It’s worked great and every time for weeks on end (well, since this post).

I say it slowly and clearly, normal talking speed, fast etc

And the stupid thing will just play some stupid song called “virgin”.

anything else I can try? Temped to downgrade to an Alexa as I know that actually works.

Soldato
Just tried and I got the same song.

So I tried this.

"Hey Siri, play Virgin Radio UK from Tunein"

And it worked.

Like any woman, she changes her mind about things and gets stroppy if you don't get it just right :D

Fair play man. Will test it now since it’s half time.

*test*

works thanks man

Soldato
Anyone having issues with what I’m assuming is this update?

Mine is playing fine for various lengths between 10s and maybe 45s then pauses for about a minute before resuming.

Soldato
Mines on 14.6 and has vanished from Music once or twice from the device I was playing with but has always continued to play by itself. Can subsequently take back over no issue though.

Back
Top Bottom