• HomePod mini - No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HomePod mini - Possibly, I'll wait and see what the reviews are like first

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters

fez

fez

Caporegime
It really is. The market for high quality audio is very small in apples eyes however. Most people are happy with utterly crap quality music and no one is going to drop £280 on a homepod for siri as the main feature. Like you say Feek, I would buy another if they were at £200. I'll probably pick one up second hand now before they start to get scarce.

Soldato
Going to pick up a HomePod for my new Apple setup..is the mini good enough for some “close range” Spotify listening? Or is the HomePod worth getting, before stock ceases that is.

Associate
Such a shame.

I loved my HomePods, but I’ll be selling the remaining HomePod we have in the bedroom and picking up one of the new Sonos Roams-kills two birds with one stone with it being enough sound for the bedroom and portable to move into the bathroom/garden.

And now sold.

Farewell trusted HomePod.

Associate
Dammit I really want to pick up a second one, but will try the second hand market first!

I have an aging 5.1 home theatre setup, and am constantly annoyed when audio doesn't feel right (muffled dialogue or ambient effects too bassy/not bassy enough. To be honest I should try to really sit down and try and calibrate it but it never seems to work out right. So to the horror of conventional wisdom, I'm tempted to scape those and just get stereo Homepods for my Apple TV and call it a day.

Soldato
I was gonna get a second mini but to be honest it drives me absolutely batty. It's on my desk in my office and it is constantly disconnecting. Trying to play music from my MBP to it is an exercise in frustration!!

And that's before i get to my phone constantly vibrating and wanting to transfer to it whenever it gets anywhere near it! I wish you could adjust the sensitivity on that or just switch it back to tap to transfer.

I like the sound of the wee thing but it is just bloody annoying.

Commissario
OP
My mini in the office is so good, I wouldn't be without it now. I have an automation set in HomeKit so when I say "hey Siri, wake up the office" from anywhere in the house, it turns on the power socket for the desk, switches the light on if the ambient level is below whatever I've got it set to and starts playing Boom radio through the HomePod mini. It never loses connection throughout the day and I've got it configured so it always comes on at just the right volume.

The only places in the house without some kind of HomePod now are the bathroom, the entrance hallway and the landing.

Soldato
Question about the thread technology in the HomePod mini, I gather it makes your internet range stronger, in that it acts as like an access point.

Could my iPhone/ipad get this signal from the hompod mini or do they need to support the thread technology?

I may be way off on what thread is/does!

Associate
Question about the thread technology in the HomePod mini, I gather it makes your internet range stronger, in that it acts as like an access point.

Could my iPhone/ipad get this signal from the hompod mini or do they need to support the thread technology?

I may be way off on what thread is/does!

No not quite. Thread is specific to your smart home devices. So yes it'll extend the range (and improve responsiveness) of those, but it's not a mesh wifi network that'll extend the range of your regular devices (such as iPhone, laptops, etc etc)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'm gutted Apple discontinued the big HomePod. I have two and use them every single day for home automation... one in the kitchen (for listening to music/podcasts whilst cooking) and one in the bedroom (for music at night). They also double up and link with the AppleTV if you want a wireless setup.

I see the appeal from the £99 device but the audio quality is what drew me to the big one and the small design looks gash.

Associate
I'm gutted Apple discontinued the big HomePod. I have two and use them every single day for home automation... one in the kitchen (for listening to music/podcasts whilst cooking) and one in the bedroom (for music at night). They also double up and link with the AppleTV if you want a wireless setup.

I see the appeal from the £99 device but the audio quality is what drew me to the big one and the small design looks gash.

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed they didn't announce a new large HomePod, I really like mine a lot. I've got a HomePod mini in the kitchen which is fine for podcasts (its actually surprisingly decent for that) but for music not so much - I've got a couple of Sonos 1's for that but it would have been nice to have it all in one device.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed they didn't announce a new large HomePod, I really like mine a lot. I've got a HomePod mini in the kitchen which is fine for podcasts (its actually surprisingly decent for that) but for music not so much - I've got a couple of Sonos 1's for that but it would have been nice to have it all in one device.
I actually had some Sonos One's which I replaced for my HomePods when I went fully in to Siri/HomeKit integration.

Part of me knows Apple isn't going to release a bigger HomePod anytime soon (not at the old price point) so I want to get more of the big ones and put them in a few rooms, but I don't fancy getting more and they stop developing for them leaving me with £1000s of useless tech that I can't replace unless I sacrifice audio quality. After all, if I wanted a cheap speaker I'd get an Alexa mini thing.

Soldato
If you’re in one room and ask it to play, it’ll only play in the room you’re in. You can add other rooms and it’ll be in perfect sync.

Thanks, in my house a couple of HomePods may be in range of "hey siri" so wonder how that would work then. Anyway I got a HomePod mini today for the kitchen, got some work discount plus a £5 off code making it £79.

Commissario
OP
Whichever hears your voice the loudest. I can stand in our hallway and be in range of a stereo pair of full size HomePods and two HomePod minis. Depending on which way I project my voice, I can predict which one will respond.

Back
Top Bottom