Poll: *** The official Apple Vision Pro thread (it has an M2, an R1, loads of cameras, a whopping price tag and everything!) ***

Apple Vision Pro - Are you going to buy one?

• Total voters

fez

fez

Caporegime
They have some practicality issues to resolve as well. Even if using the product and software is great, the two major issues is a short battery life and nearly every early preview article has said the person using the device got a sore neck due to have heavy it was

Yeah, all these nerds with their chicken necks are going to struggle :p

Its a first gen divice and I really like the idea so I hope it lasts but time will tell. Super interesting though.

Soldato

Seems to be well balanced and informed. Also surprisingly critical, I'd have thought any of the early reviewers would be positive by default.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm... it seems like the big win she's identified is the equivalent of having multiple monitors.
She also mentioned it was incredibly uncomfortable but I guess that will vary between individuals. Really impractical for remote work too if you ever have to be on calls.

Caporegime
Seems to be well balanced and informed. Also surprisingly critical, I'd have thought any of the early reviewers would be positive by default.

Good review. All those niggles make it feel like it's a product that's about two generations away from actually being good, and even then I'm not convinced its core idea is actually going to be worth it.

Soldato
I think that this will be an interesting product to watch. Many people who have tried it, including these early reviewers, seem pretty convinced that it's a viable product which just needs the technology to catch up. However, I think the challenge Apple face is how to convince people who haven't tried it to even give it a go, given that most have never worn a VR headset before. Communicating the experience of VR through a web page, video or TV ad has always proven challenging for any companies who have attempted it.

By contrast, when Apple launched the iPhone, I think mobile phones were already pretty ubiquitous, so the average person could look at it and say 'that looks great, even if it is expensive and has technical flaws'. It related directly to experiences lots of people already had (i.e. using mobile phones). I think this is not the case with the Vision headset.

Caporegime
I think that this will be an interesting product to watch.

I agree; and I'd love a go on one of these.

Many people who have tried it, including these early reviewers, seem pretty convinced that it's a viable product which just needs the technology to catch up.

That is not the impression I get from the reviews above; they seem to think that it is an idea that is flawed both technically and in theory. Personally I think VR-as-AR is a dead-end and the technology of spatial computing in general will find niches it excels in but not become mainstream in any way, much like VR.

Soldato
That is not the impression I get from the reviews above; they seem to think that it is an idea that is flawed both technically and in theory. Personally I think VR-as-AR is a dead-end and the technology of spatial computing in general will find niches it excels in but not become mainstream in any way, much like VR.
Fair enough - perhaps I've been reading too many Apple-biased sources! :) I will look around at some more.

I've been wearing glasses since I was about 8, and I'd like nothing better than to no longer have to*, so the thought of choosing to strap something to my face to get things done is not terribly appealing :p

* laser surgery hasn't been an option for most of my life due to the nature of my prescription, but it is something I intend to explore again as the technology has moved on.

Soldato
You can buy prescription lenses for it, not cheap but it’s a £3.5k product, what’s another £100 right?

It’s an interesting product, certainly not one for the mainstream though.

Soldato
some of the tech in this sounds amazing, but typical apple also has many issues. Will be interesting to see how much this shapes future headsets

Soldato
So are the 5 people who said yes, going to be purchasing this still now reviews are out?

It has definitely piqued my interest and I feel like from what I am seeing it is more impressive then not. The Casey Neistat video was amusing in showing how ridiculous it is in public, but maybe the first mobile phone was too? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvkgmyfMPks

The stand out fact for me was hearing that its screen fits 64 pixels in the space of every iphone pixel. That is game changing for quality. Hopefully in the next generation or two they improve the field of view and comfort aspect and with a few more use cases then I might splash out on it. Hopefully they continue with the development of it at least, even at £3,500 I can imagine it being rather unprofitable once the development costs are taken into account.

Soldato
So are the 5 people who said yes, going to be purchasing this still now reviews are out?

It has definitely piqued my interest and I feel like from what I am seeing it is more impressive then not. The Casey Neistat video was amusing in showing how ridiculous it is in public, but maybe the first mobile phone was too? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvkgmyfMPks

The stand out fact for me was hearing that its screen fits 64 pixels in the space of every iphone pixel. That is game changing for quality. Hopefully in the next generation or two they improve the field of view and comfort aspect and with a few more use cases then I might splash out on it. Hopefully they continue with the development of it at least, even at £3,500 I can imagine it being rather unprofitable once the development costs are taken into account.
I remember thinking the Ipad looked stupid when I first saw one in an Airport in Thailand.

Back
Top Bottom