Poll: *** The official Apple Vision Pro thread (it has an M2, an R1, loads of cameras, a whopping price tag and everything!) ***

Apple Vision Pro - Are you going to buy one?

• Total voters
Commissario

Introducing Apple Vision Pro: Apple’s first spatial computer​

jb5dBRA.png

It looks incredible but I'm actually not sure what I, as a normal user would do with it.

And that price tag :eek:

Soldato
Are they that out of touch with current economics?
I think it is like old school Apple gear; priced at "aspirational but unrealistic" targets. It'll generate massive hype from people REALLY committed; and it isn't cheap enough for folk to have a go and shelve it (like my Meta Quest that is in the shed somewhere with about 40 mins of usage).

Next gen will see it come down a lot, or be canned entirely.

Source: iPod -> iPod Nano, MacBook -> MacBook Air.... etc etc etc

Soldato
"Big clunky headset" is a bit of a departure from their normal design language. I sort of imagined they might have tried for something sleeker than Google glass so honestly I'm a bit surprised by the PSVR2-chic they've gone with. I'd definitely be interested in trying it but no chance will I buy it.

Soldato
I think it is like old school Apple gear; priced at "aspirational but unrealistic" targets. It'll generate massive hype from people REALLY committed; and it isn't cheap enough for folk to have a go and shelve it (like my Meta Quest that is in the shed somewhere with about 40 mins of usage).

Next gen will see it come down a lot, or be canned entirely.

Source: iPod -> iPod Nano, MacBook -> MacBook Air.... etc etc etc

Yeah. Original iPad started at $500 back in 2010 ($700 in today's dollars). You can buy a new iPad for $330 now.

Apple watch was the same, too. Started at $350 back in 2015 ($450 in today's money). You can buy one for $250 now.

I see this like the first generation iPad. It was big, heavy, chunky and really not that easy to use. Then came iPad 2 which fixed all of those issues. Much thinner, lighter and easier to use. Second generation Vision Pro will definitely be a lot thinner, lighter and more portable but won't likely have additional features.

It looks like an amazing piece of tech, I'd like to try it. But I can't see myself buying it even at a fraction of that price. And 2 hours? Really?

It doesn't even have a battery. 2 hours is with the external battery (which you most probably need to purchase separately).

Last edited:
Soldato
$3.5k lol and "early" 2024 before it's out.

Ridiculous - who's going to sit in their house with one of these on their head....

Much like 3D TV's - cool to play with/watch the odd movie but in reality - never going to be a long term "thing"

Soldato
I recall the power connector to the headset is proprietory, but is the battery end of it USB-C? if so, then in theory you could have it to a really long cable to a power source at the wall or swap it for a larger battery for longer battery life?

Default is power plugged, battery is likely an additional accessory. This means there will probably be third party bigger batteries as well, and yeah of course swapping will be possible.

Last edited:
Soldato
it looks ridiculous.
Fine as a playtoy-proof of concept but Apple out here releasing 9 minute promo reels of the thing expecting it to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I love the tech advances they've made, the hands only, no controller gesture would be amazing if it works. No doubt eventually it all will trickle down if they keep the line going and then it would be worth it a few generations from now.

Like the iPad Air (before the price hike) with M1 chip for like £500-ish was an absolute bargain, but that had taken 10 years to get there.

Soldato
$3.5k lol and "early" 2024 before it's out.

Ridiculous - who's going to sit in their house with one of these on their head....

Much like 3D TV's - cool to play with/watch the odd movie but in reality - never going to be a long term "thing"

I completely agree, waste of time really.

Maybe I’m old but I just don’t get it.

Back
Top Bottom