Poll: *** The official Apple Watch Series 7 thread (it now has a proper keyboard and everything!) ***

Will you buy the Apple Watch Series 7?

• Yes - 41mm cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - 41mm non cellular

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Yes - 45mm cellular

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Yes - 45mm non cellular

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • No, I won't be buying it

Votes: 39 43.8%

• Total voters
Commissario
OP
I'll probably go with the 45mm cellular stainless steel again. Up until the series 6, I've always had the aluminium one but I ended up swapping that for SS with the 6 and I like it.

Commissario
OP
I read that Apple were going to fix that, but my Series 3 still won't accept the last update, despite my removing every single app that I'm able to delete and all the music.
I think it's fixed with the new watchOS.

I was really surprised to see they're still selling the series 3 now - I expected that one to finally be pensioned off.

Commissario
OP
The 18 hour estimate has always seemed quite conservative to me - I put my watch on charge when I get in the shower in the morning and it's charged by the time I get out. Twelve hours later it's normally around 60%.

Commissario
OP
Can the people of Apple watch Series 6 give real life battery life? I love Apple gear but I had a Series 4 Watch and the battery life didn't last 12 hours. Apple said the device was functioning as it should!

The 18 hour estimate has always seemed quite conservative to me - I put my watch on charge when I get in the shower in the morning and it's charged by the time I get out. Twelve hours later it's normally around 60%.

I get a lot of notifications during the day.

Commissario
OP
So if I walk for 90 mins a day is the battery going to last from 6am until 10pm? Previous one was on its arse by 6pm it was ridiculous
Do you have your phone with you? Do you have a workout running?

I've walked for hours a day with my watch and a walking workout running and never had a battery issue. It depends if you have your phone in your pocket and whether the watch is using its own GPS or not.

Commissario
OP
The Series 4 has no always on display and that's why your battery is lasting so well.
Well it's not just that though, is it. See my comments about the battery life on mine. Twelve hours heavy use and typically down to 60%.

How is the battery life on these so terrible when my Garmin Fenix can last 2 weeks, while still doing all (or most) of the same things?
Does it do all (or most) of the same things, really?

Commissario
OP
Ahhhhh OK I was just following what the agent was telling me over the phone.
I'm going to straight from the Apple shop into an EE shop and ask them to change the EIN on my account so it's already done. Then I should be able to just unpair the current one, pair the new one and job's a good 'un.

Commissario
OP
Well this is disappointing. I unpaired my old watch and when I went to pair the new one, the most recent backup was from over a year ago. I thought that unpairing automatically created a backup but it doesn't seem to have done so. I'm going to have to start from scratch.

Commissario
OP
I think it’s due to software versions.
I wondered that but it's on 8.1 already which is the most recent version. Besides, it offered me about five years worth of backups, going back to watchOS4. It's done now, it wasn't a massive effort to set up, it's just remembering how some of the custom faces I had set up were configured.

/edit - Yes, confirmed. When I go to settings/iPhone storage/watch on my phone, it lists the backups. It's made one now but the most recent before that was a year old. They go back to April 2016!

Commissario
OP
Trigger Siri on your watch and say "Hey Siri, I'm going to work".

Does this happen?

This went on for well over a minute until I stopped it by hitting the crown. I can reproduce it on my Series 7 running watchOS 8.1 and it happens on my lad's Series 6.

Commissario
OP
obviously the Series 7 will be getting a case in the next few hours, just waiting for the Amazon man to turn up...
Obviously?

Do you see people with expensive watches, Rolexes, Omegas, Panerais, etc with cases on them? They cost significantly more than an Apple Watch and last far longer but you'll never see them in a case or with a protector on them.

The size thing is interesting, when I put my 7 next to an older one, you're right, it doesn't look much bigger but because the display goes closer to the edge, it feels a lot larger in use.

Regarding the restore, was your old watch on watchOS8.1? If it was and you really want to restore from the backup, update the new one to 8.1, rename it (so the backup it creates has a different name) and then unpair it. When you go to pair again, it should give you the option to restore from the Series 3 backup.

I was screwed with mine because even looking at my iCloud backups, my old watch wasn't listed so I had no choice but to start again.

Back
Top Bottom