Poll: *** The official Apple Watch Series 7 thread (it now has a proper keyboard and everything!) ***

Will you buy the Apple Watch Series 7?

• Yes - 41mm cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - 41mm non cellular

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Yes - 45mm cellular

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Yes - 45mm non cellular

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • No, I won't be buying it

Votes: 39 43.8%

• Total voters
Commissario
OP
I think it’s due to software versions.
I wondered that but it's on 8.1 already which is the most recent version. Besides, it offered me about five years worth of backups, going back to watchOS4. It's done now, it wasn't a massive effort to set up, it's just remembering how some of the custom faces I had set up were configured.

/edit - Yes, confirmed. When I go to settings/iPhone storage/watch on my phone, it lists the backups. It's made one now but the most recent before that was a year old. They go back to April 2016!

Soldato
I wondered that but it's on 8.1 already which is the most recent version. Besides, it offered me about five years worth of backups, going back to watchOS4. It's done now, it wasn't a massive effort to set up, it's just remembering how some of the custom faces I had set up were configured.

/edit - Yes, confirmed. When I go to settings/iPhone storage/watch on my phone, it lists the backups. It's made one now but the most recent before that was a year old. They go back to April 2016!
My S7 received this week came with 8.0.1 on it which is why I assumed it didn’t see my backup, I just set up as new as I didn’t want to unpair and pair again.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
Trigger Siri on your watch and say "Hey Siri, I'm going to work".

Does this happen?

This went on for well over a minute until I stopped it by hitting the crown. I can reproduce it on my Series 7 running watchOS 8.1 and it happens on my lad's Series 6.

Soldato
So, watch has arrived, unpaired my old Series 3, which apparently triggers a backup, yet when paring the new watch the restore from backup options it gives me are from earlier in the year, odd...

I do prefer the slight changes they've made to the packaging since my Series 3 though, not sure if all watches are like that or if its just because I got the Nike one (fancied the strap with the holes)..

Just going through the setup of a new watch options now..

I will say that the 45mm doesn't look as big as I was expecting, it is slightly, and I mean only just gnats **** sort of difference between the 45mm Series 7 and the Series 3 42mm with its case on, obviously the Series 7 will be getting a case in the next few hours, just waiting for the Amazon man to turn up...

Commissario
OP
obviously the Series 7 will be getting a case in the next few hours, just waiting for the Amazon man to turn up...
Obviously?

Do you see people with expensive watches, Rolexes, Omegas, Panerais, etc with cases on them? They cost significantly more than an Apple Watch and last far longer but you'll never see them in a case or with a protector on them.

The size thing is interesting, when I put my 7 next to an older one, you're right, it doesn't look much bigger but because the display goes closer to the edge, it feels a lot larger in use.

Regarding the restore, was your old watch on watchOS8.1? If it was and you really want to restore from the backup, update the new one to 8.1, rename it (so the backup it creates has a different name) and then unpair it. When you go to pair again, it should give you the option to restore from the Series 3 backup.

I was screwed with mine because even looking at my iCloud backups, my old watch wasn't listed so I had no choice but to start again.

Soldato
Obvious for me, I always catch my watch on stuff at work when sticking my hand down the back of cabinets or into flight cases etc. so better safe than sorry, that's the reason my Series 3 has no scratches scuffs or anything on it, just a bit of grime (skin/sweat/dust) around the sensor disk on the back, so they'll be going back in its box and I think one of the guys from work is having it for one of his offspring..

Old watch was up to date, new watch is a version behind as I notice its already wanting an update, not that it matters, I don't have a huge amount of apps on the watch, just stuff that's flight related when out and about with work, I also took a pic of my 'Face' before I unpaired just so I could remember what was on there so all in all its not a huge issue not running from a backup, it should be easier though in the same way that its easy to do backups etc of a phone, the watch should also be as easy IMHO..

Caporegime
Obviously?

Do you see people with expensive watches, Rolexes, Omegas, Panerais, etc with cases on them? They cost significantly more than an Apple Watch and last far longer but you'll never see them in a case or with a protector on them.

Actually for the reason that you don’t keep them as long is a good reason. You protect the sell on or trade in price. You are unlikely to do that with a 2k watch. I will pass my main watch down to my son, where are my Apple Watch will get replaced in 2 years or so.

Caporegime
Tried to like this watch, after 2 weeks it's going back. I'm just so used to my Garmin forerunner. 2 week battery life and notifications. Screen off I get 2 days on the series 7 which is much better than my wife gets on her 6. I also like that I just put a flat glass protector on my Garmin and I never give the watch a second thought. With the Apple Watch if I brush against a desk or fence or anything I'm worried about it getting marked up.

I'm not using any features I didn't already have on my Garmin.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
My 4 is battered, buts really been abused, used when working on cars, doing building work at home etc. it’s surprisingly resilient.

Looking at the 7 now, apart from the obvious cellular bit, are there any differences between the GPS and cell watches? I have a cellular at the moment, but I never got a plan for it, so I’m thinking to save the £100!

Soldato
Looking at the 7 now, apart from the obvious cellular bit, are there any differences between the GPS and cell watches? I have a cellular at the moment, but I never got a plan for it, so I’m thinking to save the £100!

Not sure how the cellular part works when you don't have a plan, as far as it comes to talking to the network, I presume you'd get a slight increase in battery life on the GPS version, I'd save the £100.
Series 7 also charges quicker.

Size-wise, the 45mm S7, out of a case was the same size as my S3 42mm, the 45mm in a case is deffo larger, however, if you keep the same size as you have (as in large or small not mm vs mm) you can use the same straps as you have on the existing watch which is useful if you have found a 3rd party strap you like.

Soldato
Couple of questions-
Can you use the Apple watch now separately from your phone whilst say out for a run and listen to Spotify via Bluetooth headphones (not ear pods)?

Soldato
Not ideal asking this question on here with most or all members in this thread being male :cry:

But do you guys think an S6 or S7 product Red watch would be good for a female ? (surprise christmas present).
iQ Guernsey | Watch - S7

I was going buy a gold SE with pink strap but there sold out.
iQ Guernsey | Watch - SE
I just got back from the apple store and the product Red looks so much nicer then that gold one
I colour of the strap on the gold SE kind of looks like it old & dirty

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I'm a bit meh about moving from a S3 tbh, yeah the screens bit bigger, charging faster, but it doesn't seem to last as long battery wise, I might give it a fresh setup and see what its like then, rather than coming in from a backup of my S3...

Soldato
How long do the battery last on these ?

Am guessing it going be around up to 7 days the same as the samsung galaxy watch
At the moment i only got an old Samsung gear 3 watch where the battery life is only up 3 days

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom