*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Although you can do hdr composite photos, which I tried once before and failed at.

Wonder if any of the magazines have any good guides in them, i'll be off work as I'm on nights that week.

Interesting - If you run Stellarium for Friday, the Sun and Moon are no where near each other at 9:30am!

It's ok but does not darkness very well.

Are you sure that the location is set properly! It also looks better if you go into 'sky and viewing' then select scale moon in the 'planets and satellites' view area.

In 'markings' I use Azimuthal markings, cardinal points and stereographic projection. I also set 'field of view' to around 67˚ and move the full screen view so the cardinal points E&S are showing at the bottom of the screen to give a nice view from before sun rise.

It's ok but does not darkness very well.

Are you sure that the location is set properly! It also looks better if you go into 'sky and viewing' then select scale moon in the 'planets and satellites' view area.

In 'markings' I use Azimuthal markings, cardinal points and stereographic projection. I also set 'field of view' to around 67˚ and move the full screen view so the cardinal points E&S are showing at the bottom of the screen to give a nice view from before sun rise.

I set my location to London, and the 20th at 9:30 the Moon & Sun are far far apart :confused:

That's the program I need Stellarium.
See where the sun is relative to some structures.

Still can't find a decent guide,

Looking for one like the night sky where you capture milkway and forground then combine the photos.

Probably be cloudy anyway.

Just seen stargazing live is back on Wednesday.
However weather is looking rubbish for Friday :(

Stargazing Live(Scientific Documentary,2012)

Wednesday, March 18th, 2015 on BBC 2 from 8:00pm to 9:00pm

Rated 4 stars

Image for Stargazing Live

Brian Cox and Dara O Briain are back at Jodrell Bank Observatory, building up to one of biggest astronomical events of the decade - a solar eclipse. They are joined by legendary Apollo astronaut Buzz Aldrin, who tells them why he believes we must look beyond the moon for mankind's next giant leap. At NASA Brian makes his own attempt to land a lunar module, while Dara finds out what happened to the moon rocks brought back from the lunar surface. Liz Bonnin prepares to take to the skies for the perfect view of the eclipse - from above the clouds. New resident Stargazer, Dr Lucie Green, reveals how to get the most from moongazing. From behind the scenes at Europe's spacecraft test centre, Dallas Campbell gets to grips with the robots which could revolutionise space exploration. Viewers are asked to help search for exploding stars to help refine the known age of the universe.(Editor's Choice, Stereo, New Series, Widescreen, Subtitles, Series 4, Part 1)

Can anyone recommend any special solar glasses to buy for viewing this partial eclipse? I was gutted that I missed the 1999 one. I really hope the sky is clear on Friday morning.

Can anyone recommend any special solar glasses to buy for viewing this partial eclipse? I was gutted that I missed the 1999 one. I really hope the sky is clear on Friday morning.

I bought some solar filter material from erm, rother valley optics, its 12" x 12" in size cost 20 quid, made a filter for my telescope, two pairs of binoculars, and iv also cut up empty beer crates (the cardboard), to make 10 pairs of glasses using this sheet of material as the lense, and iv still got probably about enough to make one more telescope lense and 3 more pairs.

but you can buy solar glasses rather than DIY for a few quid but to be honest I doubt anywhere has any left now as its only in a few days, but the solar filter will come in time, as its next day shipping, that's if they have any left.

Also for anyone intresting in reading, heres a timeline of the eclipse :D

CLICK for bigger image.

Also, the home made solar glasses :D of which I made many of pairs!

IMG_6607.jpg

Last edited:
I bought some solar filter material from erm, rother valley optics, its 12" x 12" in size cost 20 quid, made a filter for my telescope, two pairs of binoculars, and iv also cut up empty beer crates (the cardboard), to make 10 pairs of glasses using this sheet of material as the lense, and iv still got probably about enough to make one more telescope lense and 3 more pairs.

but you can buy solar glasses rather than DIY for a few quid but to be honest I doubt anywhere has any left now as its only in a few days, but the solar filter will come in time, as its next day shipping, that's if they have any left.

Also for anyone intresting in reading, heres a timeline of the eclipse :D

CLICK for bigger image.

Also, the home made solar glasses :D of which I made many of pairs!

IMG_6607.jpg

Make sure there are no fractures or tiny holes or cuts in the material - if there is it will act like a tiny laser and burn your eyes :(

Make sure there are no fractures or tiny holes or cuts in the material - if there is it will act like a tiny laser and burn your eyes :(

I know, iv tested every pair, all is well handled them with care and even took the time to measure up the cutting of the nose piece to block out all the sun and the measurements for there head so they fit right for all my family and friends :D

Just hope its not bloody cloudy now.

Back
Top Bottom