*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Forecast for here is heavy black cloud Friday morning :(

It's not looking good, especially how there's only been a total 20 mins of sunshine in cloud breaks here over the past 4 days or more

Yep, looking like I'll just watch it in TV.
Can't find anywhere with sky at night magazine with the glasses either and everywhere else has hiked up the price to insane. :(

Eclipse Live - A Stargazing Special(Scientific Documentary)

Friday, March 20th, 2015 on BBC 1 London from 9:00am to 10:00am

Image for Eclipse Live - A Stargazing Special

Dara O Briain and Professor Brian Cox are joined by a team of reporters and experts as they host live coverage of the biggest astronomical event to be seen in Britain's skies this decade. To bring you the best possible views, Liz Bonnin beams live pictures of the eclipse from a specially equipped plane high above the clouds. On the Faroe Islands, Watchdog's Chris Hollins is amongst thousands of people who have travelled from around the world to witness the jaw-dropping spectacle of a total eclipse. Stargazing's own solar scientist, Dr Lucie Green, joins Newsround's Leah Boleto and hundreds of children carrying out a nationwide experiment to see how the weather changes during the eclipse. And BBC weather presenter Carol Kirkwood reveals where in the country you are likely to get the best views.(Part 5, Stereo, Widescreen, Live, Subtitles, Series 4)

I've got some of the Baader AstroSolar film to make a filter for my camera, and also remembered I bought a pair of Coronado binoculars couple years back, so these should do for real 'live' viewing.

If it's cloudy least I'm ready for the next one :p

See I jeep looking at the film, but £20 for something that is very unlikely to view. Think on the way back from work tonight I'll hit some mire 24 hr supermarkets and see if I can find a magazine.

Last time all the papers did free glasses, this time only seen one local paper doing it and not local to me.

Was testing every pair of my glasses iv made for tomorrow, jesus couldn't believe how good it was viewing the sun, though id seen it few days ago (and again today) with my telescope up close, to just see it with both eyes aswell looking at the sky.

Amazing :)

Praying so much for clear skys tomorrow

Too drunk today to even think of looking in Tesco for the magazine's.

Is naked eye viewing really harmful?

Well it depends if you ever want to be able to see your favourite videos when it's that time of day :p

But if you have a missis and don't mind being blind then I guess you can go for it.

But seriously tho it can proper damage your eyes, if I didn't have any proper filter to view it though, a welding mask will do the same job, if not get about 10 pairs of sun glasses layered.

Totality from Svalbard:

UMWaCnV.jpg

and from Proba-2:

How black-hole feedback works in quasars. Dense gas and dust in the center simultaneously fuels the black hole and shrouds it from view. The black-hole wind propels large-scale outflows of cold gas and powers a shock wave that clears gas and dust from the central galaxy:

Back
Top Bottom