*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
Will either be down to the spectrum imaged in i.e. infrared, usually to image stuff around a star you have to use various techniques to filter out light from the star and/or the star is partially obscured by dust/gas.

Either that or the star hasn't switched on yet i.e. thermonuclear reactions havn't kicked in yet, when that happens the t-tauri wind will blast any remaining material in the accretion disc off into space, as much as half the mass of the solar system in our case. I'm too lazy to read the rest of the data about that picture to find out.

Man of Honour
8:00 pm - 9:00 pm | Thursday 14th July 2022

Super Telescope: Mission to the Edge of the Universe​

BBC Two England | News​

As NASA releases the inaugural images from the James Webb Space Telescope, this film tells the inside story of the instrument's construction, and the astronomers taking its first picture of distant stars and galaxies. Will it be the deepest image of our universe ever taken?

Associate
Worth remembering that these are the first images after pretty much just being switched on and calibrated. It's got 20 years of life they reckon. Looking forward to all the crazy **** this thing discovers. Not that I'm watching the news anymore but I hope it was top of the headlines coz we humans did a thing and it actually worked. How about that.

Associate
been playing around with some public data from JWST very quick process of NGC3324 with my version of colourising the infrared data, still learning pixinsight and there's a lot i don't understand yet. Unfortunately imgur wouldnt accept the smallest full file so had to screenshot it so can't zoom in too much for details. soo wish my telescope could get these sorts of images

rhTfkZ7.jpg

Soldato
Not sure if this guys channel has already been posted but he makes some incredible space documentaries, a lot remastered and he renders in 4k. Just finishing the Voyager missions one which is 2.44hrs long but so doesn't feel like it. Deserves more subs.

Last edited:
Soldato
My wife picked up a telescope at a charity shop the other week. I noticed Saturn and Jupiter were in the sky last night and it was really clear so decided to see if it worked. After a bit of fiddling, I managed to find and focus on them both! In my excitement, I went and woke up my wife at around midnight, and the kids then woke up so we all spent some time gazing at Saturn... and then be greeted with a cool shooting star display! Such a cool night but now I want more! I have quite bad astigmatism so using the telescope is really quite difficult. Wondering about getting some sort of digital display to hook up to it...

Soldato
My wife picked up a telescope at a charity shop the other week. I noticed Saturn and Jupiter were in the sky last night and it was really clear so decided to see if it worked. After a bit of fiddling, I managed to find and focus on them both! In my excitement, I went and woke up my wife at around midnight, and the kids then woke up so we all spent some time gazing at Saturn... and then be greeted with a cool shooting star display! Such a cool night but now I want more! I have quite bad astigmatism so using the telescope is really quite difficult. Wondering about getting some sort of digital display to hook up to it...

Yes "live" cameras are possible.

You can get a mount for your smart phone at the cheaper end or something like the ATIK Infinity for live video imaging (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/at...r-video-astronomy-guiding-imaging-camera.html) which uses a cooled sensor and needs a computer.

It's important to understand - planets, the moon and bright nebulae (M42 for example) give a lot of light which makes it easy to use a video camera or even a webcam for live imaging. For the more impressive images of dimmer objects the cost goes up as you need to track and take long exposures.

Astrophotography is not a cheap hobby!

Soldato
Its also relatiive the corona of the sun is very hot several million kelvin/celsius but as the density is so low it contains very little energy compared to the phostophere i.e. the visible surface of the sun at 6000K

Soldato
New image of the 'Pillars of Creation', courtesy of the JWST.

cOD5O6H.jpg

Comparison of the Hubble v JWST images

xudtxB7.png

Another way to look at this - that's 50-70 years at light speed to get from the top to the bottom of the pillar. That's a human lifetime at light speed to travel that distance..

Back
Top Bottom