*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
What’s a good budget telescope for looking at the moon? I had a celestron I think it was a few years back it was brilliant.

will go second hand just need some guidance on what to buy.

tia
A reasonable low prices telescope - I'll let other spec an example - will also give you a reasonable look at Jupiter and Saturn too.

Associate
What’s a good budget telescope for looking at the moon? I had a celestron I think it was a few years back it was brilliant.

will go second hand just need some guidance on what to buy.

tia

Depends a bit on what budget means to you. My first "proper" telescope was a skywatcher 200p dobsonian. These go for around £400, plus you will end up spending a bit more in the future on eyepieces. Will give you great views of the moon but also planets and once you get your eye in deep space objects.

I don't have much first hand experience below that price point, but a good pair of binoculars such as celestron skymasters, combined with a tri-pod would be a good option.

Soldato
The accretion disk surrounding the star PDS 70, but if you look at 3 o'clock you can see an exoplanet (PDS 70c) with it's own disk of material which will most likely go on to form a moon(s) around said planet.

5Y9u17T.jpg

Soldato
Had another visit to Kielder Observatory last week, moon pics from my phone put on the telescope.

PzhlrFWh.jpg

QLuivrOh.jpg

N7zjzcph.jpg

a3QkkCN.hjpg

0QuOjyzh.jpg

Man of Honour
Why is the star dimmer than the planet and disc?

Will either be down to the spectrum imaged in i.e. infrared, usually to image stuff around a star you have to use various techniques to filter out light from the star and/or the star is partially obscured by dust/gas.

Soldato
I had a bit of a James Webb binge last night - I'd heard it was launched but had no idea that they'd deployed so much and it should reach L2 at the end of Jan. Last night was the secondary mirror. So just the electronics radiator, side segments for the mirror then commissioning. Nice to hear that it's launch was so efficient it has a surplus of fuel left over that will extend its operational life beyond the 10 years.

Looking forward to seeing first light.

Back
Top Bottom