*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
OP
I believe one of the terms used is the goldilocks band - i.e. not too close and therefore too cold, and not too far, therefore too hot. As for something with 'helo' (you might mean helio, i.e. the Sun), I don't know that I know/remember from the Masters days.

Other way round :p

But yeah, every (well, most) star has an area around it that could theoretically support a planet with liquid water. Which is a good indication of life. Not sure luck has much to do with it though, it just is.

Interestingly, both Mars and Venus lie within what we class as Sol's "goldilocks zone."

Soldato
I believe one of the terms used is the goldilocks band - i.e. not too close and therefore too cold, and not too far, therefore too hot. As for something with 'helo' (you might mean helio, i.e. the Sun), I don't know that I know/remember from the Masters days.

that's the one! damn that's been bugging me all day!!!

Soldato
Just a little update ended up going for a Skywatcher Explorer 150p on an Eq 3-2 mount, i know its the greatest of mounts but its a starting point for me anyway. Cant wait for it to arrive now, been having a little play around with stellarium and its a fantastic bit of software surprised I haven't found out about it before.

Soldato
Just got my Skywatcher Explorer 150p today, horrible weather and extremely foggy. However managed to get a couple nice pics of the moon.

moon-1.jpg

moon-3.jpg

Soldato
Couple of images, first the bear paw/claw galaxy, mag 11.7 using the 105mm refractor. The image is a crop at full native 8MP resolution:

bearclaw.png

Next is a pic of the moon through the little Vixen A80mf (80mm refractor) with the little Titan cam on a manual mount (no tracking):
moon_a80mf.png

The titan is only about 659x495 pixels, a drizzled combine of about 10 frames to enhance resolution.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Sorry if this has already been covered in the thread i just seen it on a reptile forums and thought you guys might find it interesting.

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/02/10563012-dark-matter-blob-confounds-experts
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2012/10/image/a/format/zoom/

120302-coslog-witco.photoblog600.jpg

Astronomers using the Hubble Space Telescope are mystified by a merging galaxy cluster known as Abell 520 in which concentrations of visible matter and dark matter have apparently come unglued.

A report on the Hubble observations, published in the Astrophysical Journal, raises more questions than answers about a cosmic pile-up that's occurring 2.4 billion light-years away.

Soldato
I saw two very bright lights in the sky last night, in the Eastern sky around 5pm (so before it was that dark). One a lot brighter, and lower than the other. They weren't twinkling which made me assume they were planets but I've never seen two planets together before.

Anyone know what they could have been?

It was just over Helensburgh. (Western Scotland).

Back
Top Bottom