*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Associate
Had a quick go at the Leo triplet the other night. Needs a lot more exposures but it's a start:

7033106343_658cb1862e_b.jpg

Soldato
Nice Samir. I captured some Leo data this week but the seeing was terrible and the images are washed out, hopefully next week I can get some good data.

How much exposure time is that?

Soldato
Nice images Samir.

I need to sort out the two banes I have - tracking/polar alignment and noise/flats.

For some reason I can get 1h40 of with 5 minute subs without a problem in one direct but it will stop tracking properly when it should continue for another 2-3 hours! I think the EQ6 is probably at it's maximum with all the gear (or it could be the change in weight of the cables as the mount moves).

Soldato
Hi all, I've got a Canon 5D Mark II, and I've always been intrigued and amazed by astrophotography. What would be a good entry level setup for taking photos of planets, and other awesome things?

I'm assuming you need a mix of telescopes and computer software to do it? I've only tried using a telescope a couple of times in my life, I don't know if they were broken but it was almost impossible to look at anything but the moon.

Soldato
Taking photos in the dark is very very different to taking photos in the light. Infact I look at that 60Da and there's nothing there that really matches what an astrophotographer needs - nothing about noise levels, well depth, sensitivity, cooling, length of maximum exposure, IR cut spectrum etc.

Most DSLR APers shoot about ISO 800 because the noise, the sensor runs hot too.

Soldato
Nice images Samir.

I need to sort out the two banes I have - tracking/polar alignment and noise/flats.

Noise is my nemesis :(

I'm using a DSLR so its even worse. I have however just finished modding it :D in hope of reducing some noise. There's a peltier on the back of the heatsink attached to a strip of copper attached to the back of the sensor. I still need to encase the camera a polystyrene box.

IMG_20120330_165529.jpg

Soldato
Noise is my nemesis :(

I'm using a DSLR so its even worse. I have however just finished modding it :D in hope of reducing some noise. There's a peltier on the back of the heatsink attached to a strip of copper attached to the back of the sensor. I still need to encase the camera a polystyrene box.

Skywatch have released a new firmware V3.28 that has a polar Re-alignment feature, I havent had a chance yet to test it but I read it works great.

IMG_20120330_165529.jpg

Oops that was supposed to be an edit :/

Soldato
Hi all, I've got a Canon 5D Mark II, and I've always been intrigued and amazed by astrophotography. What would be a good entry level setup for taking photos of planets, and other awesome things?

I'm assuming you need a mix of telescopes and computer software to do it? I've only tried using a telescope a couple of times in my life, I don't know if they were broken but it was almost impossible to look at anything but the moon.

Exact same position as you (even have the same camera). Having had a good look through this thead it seems that this one http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html is recommended for astrophotography on here?

I'll be honest though, its mega confusing with all the talk of mounts, gotos, motors etc.

If I had the above telescope - Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5- and a Canon 5d mark ii. What else would I need to start to take photos?

Sorry for wanting it on a plate but I'm just starting to look into telescopes and the different types so a little head start would be brilliant. This thread fascinates me.

Associate
Couple of shots I took at the end of March, not impressive really but thought I'd share.

I do quite fancy buying myself a telescope but think it may get used just once or twice and then sit in its box :(

hBf7G.jpg

Large Version

AW9X6.jpg

Large Version

Last shot with a 200mm Lens and not much of an exposure.

iqkiE.jpg

Large Version

Last edited:
Soldato
Exact same position as you (even have the same camera). Having had a good look through this thead it seems that this one http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html is recommended for astrophotography on here?

I'll be honest though, its mega confusing with all the talk of mounts, gotos, motors etc.

AP differs from visual - the mount is the important part as you need to track accurately for a long time on the target.

It's for this reason you should look at the mount carefully - especially the load capacity as that affects the accuracy of tracking.

I'll write more this evening but the link you have is the EQ5 rather than the HEQ5. The HEQ5 is twice as accurate and can take more load. The HEQ5 is really the bare minimum for AP with something like a 200 newt on it. You'll need to add a collimation eyepiece to align the mirrors then later add things to reduce the focal ratio (faster to take photos) and to reduce coma (aberration). However the key is being able to track the stars, then ensure the scope is performing correctly and then finally more fancy things such as removing some of the aberration.

Skywatcher is a solid make. Very popular.

I use an NEQ6 which I have had guided single exposure times of 20 minutes! However normally I go for 5-10 minutes per exposure on deep space objects (DSOs).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom