** The Official ASUS P5N-E SLI & Ultra 650i Thread **

I don't at the moment. I'm self-limiting myself to 1.539V. My current system is a bit of a bodge but it involves a Cape Cora 10 on stands, a Laing pump and an EK CPU block. The plan is to have a certain infamous welsh modder fit me out a Lian Li case (it was going to be a V600 but reality set in and I'm going to go V2000 now) with a Cape Cora 10 mounted on the back side panel and a Cape Cora 4 and a Cape Cora 6 mounted on the other side panel. The 10 will cool the CPU, the 6 will cool the graphics cards and possibly a couple of hard drives and the 4 will cool the Northbridge. You then need three pumps, the EK 7900 SLI block, the EK Northbridge and CPU blocks and three fillports. It keeps on getting more and more outré and more and more expensive hence the increasingly lengthy delay in starting. It will be utterly silent apart from the optical drives and I don't know any way of silencing those.

WJA96 said:
I don't at the moment. I'm self-limiting myself to 1.539V. My current system is a bit of a bodge but it involves a Cape Cora 10 on stands, a Laing pump and an EK CPU block. The plan is to have a certain infamous welsh modder fit me out a Lian Li case (it was going to be a V600 but reality set in and I'm going to go V2000 now) with a Cape Cora 10 mounted on the back side panel and a Cape Cora 4 and a Cape Cora 6 mounted on the other side panel. The 10 will cool the CPU, the 6 will cool the graphics cards and possibly a couple of hard drives and the 4 will cool the Northbridge. You then need three pumps, the EK 7900 SLI block, the EK Northbridge and CPU blocks and three fillports. It keeps on getting more and more outré and more and more expensive hence the increasingly lengthy delay in starting. It will be utterly silent apart from the optical drives and I don't know any way of silencing those.

This may affect your overclocks. I have my CPU, chipset and GPU all watercooled. I have a rad with very slow spinning 120mm fans along with some case fans but again very slow spinning. The fans hardly move any air and it's almost silent. But I find my RAM and PWMIC gets very hot and can limit my overclocking. When I can be botgered I'll open it back up and add another 120mm over those areas. So you may find a need for at least a little airflow inside the case.

WJA96 said:

nice. I have a v2000 with a mach 2 in the bottom and a water loop for the gfx. It only needs a single rad atm to cope with a 1900xt at 1.6v but I think I will need a bigger rad if I cool the chipset as well.

was looking for a chipset block recommendation

ArchAnGeL said:
was looking for a chipset block recommendation

My Welsh advisor likes EK. I know loads of people like Swiftech, but it's not really something I know a huge amount about - I'm more in the "Here's £700 - were's my fully installed water cooled system?" category of water coolers.

Kaiju said:
OC_A64 - Have you tried 400x9 with the E6600?

My board doesn't like round numbers much over 1500 (375FSB) - mine won't boot at 1600 (400) but it will at 1624 (405) with the 9x multiplier. It's often not a case of "is this the limit?", but "have I rounded the overclock correctly?".

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=158078

It seems better to go with the 8x multiplier for day-to-day use as you can run the RAM at 1:1 which does seem to be fractionally faster (<1% improvement)

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=158811

The sweet spot for me seems to be to drop back to 425x8 - 3.4GHz ( I can run the RAM 1:1 at 1T which is then faster overall and I can run the Northbridge at 1.563V which is much cooler.

ArchAnGeL said:
nice. I have a v2000 with a mach 2 in the bottom and a water loop for the gfx.

Nice. Very nice. Is it very loud though? I'm really going for truly silent with a massive overclock. The phase units I've seen have all sounded like you are sitting next to a Fridge (which you are - duh!) and I didn't like them. Plus they seem a bit like hard work and I'm very lazy like that.

Kaiju said:
OC_A64 - Have you tried 400x9 with the E6600?

Can't remeber for certain, pretty sure it was ok. Wouldn't boot at 400 1:1 in unlinked mode tho iirc, had to use linked mode.

Will be dropping back to the 9* multi today, will test for you later though.

WJA96 said:
Nice. Very nice. Is it very loud though? I'm really going for truly silent with a massive overclock. The phase units I've seen have all sounded like you are sitting next to a Fridge (which you are - duh!) and I didn't like them. Plus they seem a bit like hard work and I'm very lazy like that.

yes it's quite loud, not as loud a hardcore air cooling though.

NEW BIOS WARNING!

There is a new BIOS on the ASUSTeK website, but PsychoSonny has just posted a thoroughly negative post in the E4300 overclocking thread about it being somewhat pants and the P5N-E SLI is the worst motherboard ever etc. etc.

I'm not going to upgrade as I reckon this BIOS is pretty stable. Anyone else have any experience?

ArchAnGeL said:
just installing it now.

did I remember seeing something in here regarding putting the ram in the black slots for best results?

Mine is in the yellow (slots 0 and 2) and I'm not exactly suffering bad performance, but if black is better, I'll gladly change them over.

WJA96 said:
I think it would be utterly overwhelmed to be honest. It's only a 1cmx4cmx4cm solid heatsink with a 40mm fan on it.

Id say the same, fine for the south maybe but not the north. Putting watercooling on the northbridge sounds ideal or a mini heatpipe jobbie. Having it on the top voltage and still nice and cool should yield some nice clocks I reckon.

I have added a few fans and a lump of metal on the top of the nb and its stable at 400mhz at 1.56v.

When you switch from 424 to 425mhz in the bios it forces the machine to turn off before turning itself back on, pretty firm confirmation of a change of timings at that point I'd say.

This is my P5N-E with the thermalright HR-05 and a 80cm fan.

Works a treat, I have the NB voltage set to max (1.7x) and it doesn't get hot at all. I did however have to attach a piece of string to the case, as the mount supplied does make it feel very loose. This is partly due to a small size chip in the middle and the fact that it is at a 45° angle.

JP

***BTW... has anyone been able to boot into Windows above 400FSB at 1T? I can only seem to do it at 2T.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom