** The Official ASUS P5N-E SLI & Ultra 650i Thread **

Associate
WJA96 said:
You don't think a 30 second differential in 32M SuperPi is staggering? That's 3%. Now, if you apply that to a game, who's going to buy a motherboard that only runs 2T?

3% isn't a huge amount! Spose it's better than nothing tho!

Associate
Bit further, same volts. Still no sign of stability issues! Not bad for a 80 quid mobo!

1T_test_449.JPG

Soldato
@OC_A64 - Is your Northbridge being actively water cooled?

I can't get close to those numbers and I definitely reckon it's because I'm overheating the Northbridge. Running for more than a few minutes at 1.7x Volts the whole system just reboots.

I'm not complaining because the results are great for an £68 motherboard, but I do think this board needs 'finishing' to get the absolute best from it. I may have to invest in an EK Northbridge cooler. Tail wags dog AGAIN!

Associate
WJA96 said:
@OC_A64 - Is your Northbridge being actively water cooled?

I can't get close to those numbers and I definitely reckon it's because I'm overheating the Northbridge. Running for more than a few minutes at 1.7x Volts the whole system just reboots.

I'm not complaining because the results are great for an £68 motherboard, but I do think this board needs 'finishing' to get the absolute best from it. I may have to invest in an EK Northbridge cooler. Tail wags dog AGAIN!

Yes, NB's watercooled now. Didn't think of that actually, forgot to test the Crucial @ 1T with air on the NB. Do remeber the NB getting hot @ 400 FSB 1T so you could have a good point.
Using Swiffy NB cooler MCW-30 or something? Seems to do the job fine :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OC_A64 said:
Yes, NB's watercooled now. Didn't think of that actually, forgot to test the Crucial @ 1T with air on the NB. Do remeber the NB getting hot @ 400 FSB 1T so you could have a good point.
Using Swiffy NB cooler MCW-30 or something? Seems to do the job fine :D

Ah superb. I started a thread a while back asking if there was any overclocking benefit to watercooling the chipset and no-one replied. So I think you've just answered it. I'm watercooling my current S939 setup for silence so quite happy to do the same to the P5N-E if it gets a benefit from it.

Any idea if the E6600 clocks significantly better than an E4300? I know it's not a thread about that but just looking for answers anywhere I can find them :)

Associate
Hades said:
Ah superb. I started a thread a while back asking if there was any overclocking benefit to watercooling the chipset and no-one replied. So I think you've just answered it. I'm watercooling my current S939 setup for silence so quite happy to do the same to the P5N-E if it gets a benefit from it.

Any idea if the E6600 clocks significantly better than an E4300? I know it's not a thread about that but just looking for answers anywhere I can find them :)

Cooling the NB on this board has made a real difference for me, couldn't get above 3325Mhz stable without any. I've hung an old Duron HSF over the NB and at 3415Mhz now. So I'd say some watercooling would make a good addition.

I've seen people getting E4300's to around 3.7Ghz so far, but 'tis early days yet. :p

Associate
Well I have decided its time to buy the board :)

So 12:01 tonight I will place the order for the P5N-E sli, E4300, 2GB Team Elite (since OCuk memory not in stock) & AC7 cooler all from OCuk :)

Now my biggest problem is when the hell does my RMA for my X1900xt gfx come back as I dont have any other PCI-e card i might sit with new parts and not be able to use it :(

Thanks to all the people who have tested this board in this thread, which have confirmed all the reviews I read on how good this board is and at an amazing price.

Associate
I'm having trouble at getting this stable at over 3462Mhz, I get a system freeze after a few minutes of Orthos blend testing. No Orthos errors it just locks up and I have to reset the system.

I'm thinking it's because the NB is getting too hot, so can anyone recommend me a NB cooler that will fit on this board please.
There's not a great amount of space between my AF7 and the current heatsink, so it'll have to be either offset or fairly low profile.

Associate
Dravic said:
I'm having trouble at getting this stable at over 3462Mhz, I get a system freeze after a few minutes of Orthos blend testing. No Orthos errors it just locks up and I have to reset the system.

I'm thinking it's because the NB is getting too hot, so can anyone recommend me a NB cooler that will fit on this board please.
There's not a great amount of space between my AF7 and the current heatsink, so it'll have to be either offset or fairly low profile.

Make sure you've got a fan over it. What NB voltage you runnig?

Associate
I'm running the 1.7xx voltage on the NB and have a 120mm and a 60mm blasting at it.

MB temp is reported as 29C from the Asus PC probe tool, but I'm not sure I trust that.

Associate
I have this board, an E6600 and some crucial 5300 anns memory and a AC pro cooler. I've overclocked the bus speed to 333 to get 3000mhz. Any more and it won't boot. I don't want to increase the volts they are on auto and show up as 1.312 in CPU-Z at the moment which looks high compared to OC_A64

The memory is set to 3.3.3.8, default had it set 5 latency :rolleyes: Would changing it to 4.4.4.12 and increasing the frequency make it much faster?

Also I have cold boot problems, is this common?

Back
Top Bottom