*** The official Asus ROG Swift PG348Q 34" ultra-wide thread ***

Associate
OK guys, I've put the monitor through its paces this weekend ... Basically chaps, in my experience this is a cracking screen!

Spot on, thanks for the helpful info! I had a crap time of the Acer XB270HU panels when they arrived and that kinda burned me from wanting to try G-Sync again; sounds like it's matured a bit now (plus Asus build a better unit than Acer!)

Associate
How wide is this in terms of actual width across (desk space requirement)?

I got this from another site so can't be 100% sure it's accurate, but measured up against my LG 34UM95 it looks to be about right for the same panel...

Dimensions (with stand):
829 x 558 x 297mm (WxHxD)

Dimensions (without stand):
829 x 323 x 109mm (WxHxD)

Soldato
Pre-ordered :D

Admittedly from elsewhere as they can guarantee delivering it before end of the month and have allocated me one. Can't wait. While I don't expect the wow factor to hit me as much as I have already been using the same panel, G-Sync + 100Hz should be nice.

Soldato
Does this monitor support user firmware updates?

As one big thing that is lacking with this monitor is gamma control (which seems very odd to me) but could be very easily implemented with a future firmware update.

But would be very annoying if you would have to send your panel off to the manufacturer just so they could flash it for you.

Would be much more convenient if you could do it yourself!

Associate
I'm still really disappointed with the amount of backlight bleed on these panels. I went through 3 x Dell U3415W's, returning all because of bleed, before finally getting a Samsung S34E790C which resolved the issue. Was hoping to sell the Samsung and get some G-Sync in my life, but because I play in a rather dark room (basement suite, and I'm a miserable Gollum) it drives me insane.

Associate
OP
Are many people getting BLB?? I can see a little bit in all four corners - worst in the top LH - see my previous posts. IPS glow outshines it at normal viewing distance and I have to purposely look for it in game anyway. Just curious if I've been lucky

Associate
I have to wait till sometime around 26th February before my monitor shows up, apparently the supply line is being a bit slow ;((

How's the monitor going Hadri? those pictures looked epic, I've been stuck on 16:10 for so long and CCFL backlights... I can't wait to get my hands on this ASUS!

Associate
OP
How's the monitor going Hadri? those pictures looked epic, I've been stuck on 16:10 for so long and CCFL backlights... I can't wait to get my hands on this ASUS!

Very good mate, had a quick whirl on Star Wars BF last night, this monitor really comes into its own on FPS games! Not too wide, and the g-sync makes things smooth as butter. I keep expecting things to judder which almost makes me nauseous as I'm sure my brain is still trying to compensate for! Dare I say it's more immersive than surround gaming, the lack of bezels (which never really bothered me) make a big difference. With no defining line, you're forced to focus on the central screen which is just big enough to encompass your peripheral vision.

The only niggle I really have is the teeny bit of BLB in all four corners which I must confess is noticeable if I look for it, but only at a distance and when there is no input, otherwise IPS glow overshadows it. Even in dark games (Elite, Alien) I can't see it unless I intentionally back away and look on purpose. I'm scared it'll grate on me over time, but I think I'm being OCD!

Associate
OP
Hi, is a display port cable included with the monitor?

If this is your only monitor and your pc is next to or below it, you'll be ok with the supplied dp and usb cable. I'd recommend longer ones if there is more distance, I'm still using the supplied USB cable and it just reaches - I'll probably change it for a longer one. Never used the supplied DP cable, I'm assuming its the same length.

Associate
If this is your only monitor and your pc is next to or below it, you'll be ok with the supplied dp and usb cable. I'd recommend longer ones if there is more distance, I'm still using the supplied USB cable and it just reaches - I'll probably change it for a longer one. Never used the supplied DP cable, I'm assuming its the same length.

Is the USB cable used for anything other than the in built hub, or is there software to control the monitor via USB ?

Associate
Quick question, hopefully this is the right place.

I have only ever gamed on 1080p screens, had a dabble with QHD a while back but stuck with 1080 due to the price at the time.

With 3440 x 1440, are you able to set the res to QHD (2560 x 1440) and the monitor will just center the screen with black borders? Does this work with 1080p also? This monitor looks so good and just want to know how flexible it will be if I do need to revert to lower res to save some frames in some intensive games.

This thing will be epic for Nomansky.

Actually wasn't as quick of a question as I'd hoped. :) Thanks.

Soldato

I have only ever gamed on 1080p screens, had a dabble with QHD a while back but stuck with 1080 due to the price at the time.

With 3440 x 1440, are you able to set the res to QHD (2560 x 1440) and the monitor will just center the screen with black borders? Does this work with 1080p also? This monitor looks so good and just want to know how flexible it will be if I do need to revert to lower res to save some frames in some intensive games.

This thing will be epic for Nomansky.

Yes, you can have the image display 1:1 which means WQHD is displayed as on a 27" model with that resolution. Full HD will occupy a smaller screen space. If you want to get rid of the black borders at the top and want that 27" screen space to be filled, then you use 'Aspect' for scaling which will cause softening. Not sure how much exactly, without testing the monitor.

Associate

Quick enough to warrant an answer :D

I own an LG 34UM95 which is the same panel in a different chassis, minus the overclock etc, and I've pre-ordered one of these. I'll be very surprised if what's true for the LG isn't for the Asus, so to answer your question...

Yeah you can set the screen mode on the panel to either 1:1 meaning whatever your desktop resolution is it will display without stretching to fill, or tell it to resize whatever desktop res you have to fill the monitor, either keeping the same aspect ratio or warping it to fit. You can also tell your graphics card control panel to stretch and resize.

Basically what this means is you can set your desktop res to 2560 x 1440 to save a bit on processing power required if you want to keep your framerate up - this is also good for those (thankfully fewer as time goes on) game that don't support superwide ratios.

If you need to drop it down to 1920 x 1080 (16:9) or 2560 x 1080 (21:9) then it can do a bit of scaling, you'll notice everything is a touch blurry doing this as your pixels won't be 1:1 with the screen, but it's passable as long as you're not too close to the screen or fussy.

TL;DR: You can run 1080p or 1440p games either with borders or stretched to fit, these really are versatile panels.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Quick enough that someone beat me to it, haha!

Back
Top Bottom