• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official ATI Radeon HD 6970 & 6950 Reviews, Discussion and Overclocking Thread ***

Associate
My HIS 6970 arrived this morning, it's replacing a pair of Crossfired 4870's.

So far so good, max'd all the settings on COD:BLOPS @ 1920*1200, smooth as butter :)

Soldato
Hey guys dunno if this is already up, but its an overclock 3d article reviewing the ATI6979 in Crossfire.
Smoking the GTX580 SLI in a few games, keeping up in others (with higher minimum FPS) and costing about 300 quid less!!!
They scale like monsters on the new 10.12 drivers!!!
Enjoy:
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/powercolor_hd6970_crossfire_review/1

You make it sound epic. I think people should look at the results instead.

To me what the results look like are this. Games that have been out a while or vastly popular have been optimised and have good results, whilst the lesser games got less attention so didn't perform as well. HAWX 2 was no surprise, but interesting to note the single 580 in HAWX 2. (Although the massive maximum in this seemed to drag the average figure up.) It looks like a CPU limited game (unless tessellation is limiting it?)

Bear in mind the cards have only just come out :) (but conversely, the 580 has also only just come out and whilst similar to the 480 this shouldn't be overlooked, it does very well itself.

Associate
You make it sound epic. I think people should look at the results instead.

To me what the results look like are this. Games that have been out a while or vastly popular have been optimised and have good results, whilst the lesser games got less attention so didn't perform as well. HAWX 2 was no surprise, but interesting to note the single 580 in HAWX 2. (Although the massive maximum in this seemed to drag the average figure up.) It looks like a CPU limited game (unless tessellation is limiting it?)

Bear in mind the cards have only just come out :) (but conversely, the 580 has also only just come out and whilst similar to the 480 this shouldn't be overlooked, it does very well itself.

OK you have a point - maybe I was being overly optimistic... Possibly because a pair of 6950's arrived this morning and I'm still drooling over them even now...
I was looking through, and what occured to me is that whilst some of the games are old (Far Cry & Crysis) what stood out was that of the 5 games on test the ATI 5970CF on average had a higher, minimum frame rate than the GTX 580, which is a measure of the (relative & comparable) smoothness of play (since they are around 40fps minimum...)
The minimum was higher on Far Cry 2, AVP (it beat the GTX580 outright) and Crysis... OC'ed it was equal in HAWX 2 and it was around 10down on Metro 2033 (with Physx ON which really screws ATI cards up...)
As for Hawx 2 - I think you may be right about the cpu limiting, doubt its tesselation as you would expect the GTX580 to beat the GTX480 if that were the case...

Associate
How are people overclocking past 840 on the HIS 6950 with CCC or Afterburner. Mine won't clock past that regardless of what I put into Afterburner.

Edit: Nevermind

Last edited:
Permabanned
This is coming from Wizzard himself.
•Power draw limiter could complicate advanced overclocking

"The overclocks of our card are 860 MHz core (8% overclock) and 1540 MHz Memory (23% overclock). While the core overclock is a bit disappointing, memory seems to be able to reach extremely high levels. Based on the 860 MHz number, my guess is that the GPU chip on our sample did not make the clock qualification for the HD 6970 (880 MHz), so it ended up on a HD 6950."

"

Soldato
OK you have a point - maybe I was being overly optimistic... Possibly because a pair of 6950's arrived this morning and I'm still drooling over them even now...
I was looking through, and what occured to me is that whilst some of the games are old (Far Cry & Crysis) what stood out was that of the 5 games on test the ATI 5970CF on average had a higher, minimum frame rate than the GTX 580, which is a measure of the (relative & comparable) smoothness of play (since they are around 40fps minimum...)
The minimum was higher on Far Cry 2, AVP (it beat the GTX580 outright) and Crysis... OC'ed it was equal in HAWX 2 and it was around 10down on Metro 2033 (with Physx ON which really screws ATI cards up...)
As for Hawx 2 - I think you may be right about the cpu limiting, doubt its tesselation as you would expect the GTX580 to beat the GTX480 if that were the case...

Awesome :) Let us know how you get on, and if your results tally with what they say in that review. I would wack everything on high quality in Catalyst and be very happy lol. Make sure you get the 10.12a drivers :)

Associate
Quick update on my 2D frequencies issue, I found the cause of the problem to be the resolution of my my monitor!
For some odd reason the Catalyst seem to believe that 1920x1200 is an "extended display resolution" as if I was using virtual desktop or a multi-monitoring setup. If I lower the resolution to 1680x1050 (to keep the same 16/10 aspect ratio) idle mode works just fine.

Now the question is...how to fix this :confused:

Associate
Your using the preview drivers & they dont work, you need the standard 10.12's or the 10.12a's, go to guru3d driver download section and choose the non preview ones.

i had the same thing really did my nut for a while,

Nice one

Jock

Thanks!!!! Fixed the issue, now getting 48fps in unigine 2.1, think score was about 1240 points? Am well chuffed :D

Soldato
Quick update on my 2D frequencies issue, I found the cause of the problem to be the resolution of my my monitor!
For some odd reason the Catalyst seem to believe that 1920x1200 is an "extended display resolution" as if I was using virtual desktop or a multi-monitoring setup. If I lower the resolution to 1680x1050 (to keep the same 16/10 aspect ratio) idle mode works just fine.

Now the question is...how to fix this :confused:

Download monitor drivers, for you particular monitor

Associate
Thanks!!!! Fixed the issue, now getting 48fps in unigine 2.1, think score was about 1240 points? Am well chuffed :D

Thats ok, i was having a fit when it happened to me as i had driven all the way to OcUk to get it, did not fancy taking it back (its a 3 hour round trip from my house).

Thank good my mum only lives in bradwell or bradder to the locals, so stopped off to get some free food the first time, not sure she would have been happy feeding me twice in one day.

Back
Top Bottom