*** The Official Battlefield 2042 thread***

Soldato
The problem wasn't the lack of well know battles, it was the generally crap map design and them never being properly played tested. If they had taken Devastation or Twisted Steel and named them Stalingrad and Nijmegen then they would still be equally crap.

The whole idea of having this game as a journey through WW2 could have been great, the combination of well know battles along with lesser know, buts still vitally important to the events of WW2 (Norway) would have been a really well crafted journey through 6 years+ of global war. The problem was that true to form DICE / EA had no idea what they were doing or how to deliver it. Instead they just spewed out the buzzwords of "free DLC" and "Live Service" to anyone that would listen.

Caporegime
I've owned every BF game except hardline - and for me BFBC2 and BF3 were easily the best. BF1 looked great but I want to play on lots of different maps not the same one rehashed a dozen times with as many meh game modes. Conquest/Rush/Team Deathmatch/Done as far as i'm concerned. DICE always want to reinvent the wheel with new features (levelution/behemoths etc) that end up just becoming annoying (I quite like dynamic weather though).

And then there's the cheating, the complete lack of any team balancing and the skins (which cost a fortune - and which they've obviously spent all their development time on), lack of 3rd party servers (which extend the life and playability of the game).

And then there's the IN YOUR FACE WOKENESS. I think all 99.9% of people wanted was a game that reflected the big battles of the war - and their favs from 1942 - and the people who fought them, but instead DICE refused to do any of that. It was their way or the highway.
BFBC2 I still play and enjoy to this day, despite my two best mates gaming every Saturday night on BF4 I don't join them anymore because frankly, it bores me,BF3 I thought played so much better than 4, unfortunately both of them skipped it.

Unfortunately for me the Battlefield franchise hit its heights at the very start, 1942 (and especially the Desert Combat Mod) was - and still is - superb, and Battlefield 2 is my favorite of all of them, I'd be delighted if they simply remastered it, but, they won't.

I wasted my money on BF1 and 5 as I barely scratched the surface on them, enjoyed the SP campaigns but left it there whereas 1942 and BF2 I think the only time I tried SP was when my connection was down for whatever reason, it was multiplayer or nothing.

Certainly not bothering with 2042, I bought the original 2142 and enjoyed it to a degree, but, it wasn't as good as the 1942 for me.

Thank god for the BF2 Hub, I still play BF2 to this day, and it's still my goto Battlefield game - despite EA's best efforts to kill it off - screw them, I can't see me bothering with this even when it's been given away free on Amazon etc...

What a shame.

Associate
I'm a big BF fanboy having played since BF1942, but after the ******** of BF5 I really can't get excited for 2042. I was in the play test in August and I thought it was awful (yes I know it was an older build of the game), but it was so bad I am not surprised the release has been delayed.

Caporegime
I'm a big BF fanboy having played since BF1942, but after the ******** of BF5 I really can't get excited for 2042. I was in the play test in August and I thought it was awful (yes I know it was an older build of the game), but it was so bad I am not surprised the release has been delayed.

It all boils down to the fact these games are routinely released before theyre ready. Doesn't matter about releasing a finished product, release schedules are determined long in advance of the game being done and they have to finish it by that time or else. And 9/10 the release is set for fourth quarter for the christmas sales. Doesn't matter if people have to download a 30+ gig update thats basically a load of slapped together fixes for the game. Remember when games used to "go gold"? I doubt that even happens these days, they just get booted out onto the download service in any shape and a load of multi gig fixes get rolled out for bugs that should have been addressed months ago.

Being a game developer these days must be nothing but a headache, you can't finish a game at all thanks to the publishers and their unrealistic deadlines, you just get it into playable shape then work on actually fixing it after people are already playing it. Used to be a joke that some games were released as betas, well we are at the point where thats pretty much fact, especially when it comes to the battlefield franchise which has a history of incredibly ropey releases.

Man of Honour
It all boils down to the fact these games are routinely released before theyre ready. Doesn't matter about releasing a finished product, release schedules are determined long in advance of the game being done and they have to finish it by that time or else. And 9/10 the release is set for fourth quarter for the christmas sales. Doesn't matter if people have to download a 30+ gig update thats basically a load of slapped together fixes for the game. Remember when games used to "go gold"? I doubt that even happens these days, they just get booted out onto the download service in any shape and a load of multi gig fixes get rolled out for bugs that should have been addressed months ago.

Being a game developer these days must be nothing but a headache, you can't finish a game at all thanks to the publishers and their unrealistic deadlines, you just get it into playable shape then work on actually fixing it after people are already playing it. Used to be a joke that some games were released as betas, well we are at the point where thats pretty much fact, especially when it comes to the battlefield franchise which has a history of incredibly ropey releases.

I think the bigger problem is publisher/management approach post launch - they want people working on the next thing bringing money in not spending time on a product already shipped. I'd be a lot more forgiving if proper fixes were rolled out in a timely fashion post launch.

Soldato
Typically a database of hundreds of thousands are bugs are prioritised from severity of 1 to 4, near the dead line 2 to 4 get ignored. Some 1s become 2s to hit the deadline.

Now deadlines are needed or else we would end up with a duke nukem scenario everytime, its the the fact they let major bugs slip through the net for post release fixes which then aren't always addressed. Worst thing is when you are 3/4 into the games development cycle and uncover a fundamental bug that requires major changes with only a 1/4 of the time left! These never get fixed.

The most important thing to management is hitting the deadlines to please their superiors whether they be shareholders or sole owners of the company. Nepotism rife, money being the pure end goal and deadlines having very little leeway produces quite the environment for making a product.

Each product based on the same engine should be a refinement of lessons learnt from previous projects. Never happens.

You are correct, all of the poor decisions almost certainly come from management. People with too much power and others are too intimidated to say anything.

Working in the industry can be quite a sinister affair of exploitation at all levels too.

I don't know why I went on this little rant, I guess I just woke up and my inhibitions haven't kicked in yet.

Soldato
Typically a database of hundreds of thousands are bugs are prioritised from severity of 1 to 4, near the dead line 2 to 4 get ignored. Some 1s become 2s to hit the deadline.

Now deadlines are needed or else we would end up with a duke nukem scenario everytime, its the the fact they let major bugs slip through the net for post release fixes which then aren't always addressed. Worst thing is when you are 3/4 into the games development cycle and uncover a fundamental bug that requires major changes with only a 1/4 of the time left! These never get fixed.

The most important thing to management is hitting the deadlines to please their superiors whether they be shareholders or sole owners of the company. Nepotism rife, money being the pure end goal and deadlines having very little leeway produces quite the environment for making a product.

Each product based on the same engine should be a refinement of lessons learnt from previous projects. Never happens.

You are correct, all of the poor decisions almost certainly come from management. People with too much power and others are too intimidated to say anything.

Working in the industry can be quite a sinister affair of exploitation at all levels too.

I don't know why I went on this little rant, I guess I just woke up and my inhibitions haven't kicked in yet.

Sometimes management just lie. Like CD Projekt red told their investors that Cyberpunk 2077 was in great shape and ready to go when in fact it was launched as an Alpha early access title

Man of Honour

Sure there is quality testing (LOL) as solving a bug might not be as simple as it seems due to unintended consequences, etc. but the annoying thing for me is a lot of the bugs aren't even hard ones to solve or particularly obscure. Particularly frustrating for me when a game has an annoying outstanding bug that never gets addressed which wouldn't take me an hour to fix myself.

There is a point about making progress though - it is all to easy to get bogged down in the details or trying to over perfect one aspect and lose sight of the bigger picture.

Soldato
I'm curious what did you find in play testing that made you think this is awful?

I've only owned one battlefield game and that was because it was <£1 last friday, so there are many battlefield attributes that I won't be aware of.

Associate
Well i could see the massive potential of the new battlefield 2024 after playing the test, apart from needing a lot more work on optimization i was pleasantly surprised by the way it played even in this very early stage.

Felt more like battlefield 4 but i would say better as found you had more time to plan and use tactics to approach a stuation, i could have played the test for hrs, dice are defo going back into a step in the right direction and this will be a first day buy for me :)

Associate
I absolutely loved Battlefield 2, I played it to death, must have racked up hundreds if not thousands of hours. I’d love to go back to that, somehow every Battlefield since has missed the mark for me and I’ve never had that same feeling.

I purchased BF5 last year as I finally got a PC that could run it. I tried to like it but I just couldn’t get into it. I don’t know whether my skill level had lapsed, or I was just behind the curve as a late starter, or it was aimbots, but I was utterly crap at it!

Hopefully this new BF is good, but I’m not really into sliding around or zip wires etc. just give me tanks and guns and planes and helicopters

Associate

Really good post, 100% agree with your sentences about ""Working in the Industry" and "People with too much power and others are too intimidated to say anything", because if you do, you'll get blacklisted.

Soldato
I absolutely loved Battlefield 2, I played it to death, must have racked up hundreds if not thousands of hours. I’d love to go back to that, somehow every Battlefield since has missed the mark for me and I’ve never had that same feeling.

I purchased BF5 last year as I finally got a PC that could run it. I tried to like it but I just couldn’t get into it. I don’t know whether my skill level had lapsed, or I was just behind the curve as a late starter, or it was aimbots, but I was utterly crap at it!

Hopefully this new BF is good, but I’m not really into sliding around or zip wires etc. just give me tanks and guns and planes and helicopters

Yeah I'm kinda the same I used to be ok on BF4 which I got to #1 in the UK for AA but dont really play that anymore and I liked BF1 too but not so much BF5...but I have pre-ordered BF 2024 :)

Associate
Tactics?! Hahahaha! :D That's a good one.

I wouldnt go as far as tactics but.. a well oiled squad will play in a certain way and should know how everyone else reacts in a situation moves ect

Miss the bf5 text wall of its the bloody [LEGO] cheats again , 50-2 doesnt meen 50-2 when you have been resurected 100 times

talking to our clanmates who still play the servers are rife with real cheats atm and dropping out of a server because of it

Back
Top Bottom