*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Soldato
Joshua, for me, was always going to win that fight the longer it went on. Takam was underrated and fought a clever fight gaining a lot of well deserved praise.

Was it stopped too soon ? I'd say it was but Takam was not going to last imo and as brave as he was Joshua looked in control and miles ahead on points.

I'm glad Tyson isn't around because AJ would get destroyed by him ! (Mike Tyson, not the silly one haha)

I'm not sure how Iron Mike would get on today. You have to keep in mind he wasn't much over 15 stone and only 5ft 10"

Caporegime
Every time I read about people moaning about a stoppage I feel slightly disturbed that some want to see a boxer being thumped repeatedly while being unable to defend himself, to the point of brain injury. The referee has a moral and professional obligation to prevent the boxers from being punched more than absolutely necessary. Things have changed since the severe brain injuries of a decade ago and referee's will intervene far more quickly now, and rightly so.

Soldato
Every time I read about people moaning about a stoppage I feel slightly disturbed that some want to see a boxer being thumped repeatedly while being unable to defend himself, to the point of brain injury. The referee has a moral and professional obligation to prevent the boxers from being punched more than absolutely necessary. Things have changed since the severe brain injuries of a decade ago and referee's will intervene far more quickly now, and rightly so.

That's all well and good but Takam was absolutely fine to continue, I think that's why it was a little frustrating, for no one more so than both the fighters themselves!

I can't help but feel Joshua would have been slightly relieved by the stoppage which is understandable, Takam was proving to be a real nightmare in there. He wasn't winning as a said before but he was extremely tough and his body shots can't have been nice...

Soldato
A bit more goes on behind the scenes. Takam might have had some bad scare tissue and suffered from bad cuts before that ref has taken into consideration. The ref had the Doc take a look twice and during each break he was having a good look at Takam so he obviously had some concern. That said if I'm fighting for three world titles then, I'm taking beating even if it meant retiring after. If Takam had a belt then the fight would have gone on I'm sure.

Soldato
Aj was there for the taking. Deontay beats Aj.

Not sure what makes you say that. Wilder hasn't fought any proper world level opposition and the best guys he's been in with have give him trouble.

Duhaupas is probably the best he's been in with and how do you think Duhaupas would do with Joshua? 4 rounds maybe?

Caporegime
Don’t forget, the doctor can give the ref instructions. The doctor may well have looked at his eyes and said he could continue, but told the ref to stop it if he was taking too much.

Imo, Takam was injured, was way behind on points, didn’t have the power left to hurt AJ and didn’t have a chance of winning the fight. People said the Wlad fight was stopped too early. Same thing, taking punishment and not throwing back. Refs are in the spotlight so much nowadays when it comes to fighters health.

Ref did his job.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I felt for sure my 5th round win was coming in after his bloody eye in the 4th! Bloody guys a machine!

All respect to both of them really, was a decent fight, mainly because Takam can take one hell of a beating. AJ did look to be bothered by him early on, although a lot of that might just have been down to the nose.

Transmission breaker
Don
Don't forget that AJ had planned and trained for a totally different opponent!
It would have taken a few rounds to get his eye in. I am not surprised it took a while to get cracking. He was bound to be cautious at first and take his time to get comfortable.
The ref was totally justified, he has more knowledge and experience than anyone here for sure, he also had the doctor's assistance and was clearly concerned for the eye.
AJ would be focussing on it (sounds horrible, but thats boxing) and going to work to open it up. Takam was bound to end up worse for wear. He was struggling to see and was constantly pawing at his eye.
Totally justified stoppage.

Soldato
A supreme athlete teeing off on you can get nasty real quick. When that athlete is 6'6" 18 stone and built like a brick out house, you cant blame anyone for airing on the side of caution. Watching the fight again Joshua was ready to come forward and if AJ caught his second wind he would have probably just unloaded hell on Takam in final rounds.

I do think the fight was stopped too soon and maybe the ref should have waited a little longer but the danger of AJ seriuosly hurting Takam ramps pretty quickly. The best case scenario for Takam was he finished the fight on his feet with some horrible cuts.

Soldato
I can't understand the complaints about the stoppage personally. Sure, Takam wasn't absolutely rocked or barely able to stand, but he was eating plenty of shots from Joshua and really landing nothing of his own other than a few body shots that Joshua seemed to have no problem with. Finishing the fight would have made no difference, it would have been two more rounds of Takam getting hit a lot and not really throwing much in return. If that was a really close fight on the scorecards then I could understand complaints about the stoppage, but Joshua was cruising to a victory. All you're doing by playing out those final couple of rounds is putting Takam at risk of serious harm, the guy was too tough for his own good.

Soldato
Quigg, Chisora and McDonnel all fighting tonight then Wilder later on. Will probably only watch the Wilder fight tomorrow the others don't really appeal to massively.

Back
Top Bottom