*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Soldato
Porter was very aggressive early on, he looked very strong and is very quick, and although he was busier and kept coming forward, he was just swinging wildly and not landing any real clean shots. He was able to bully and push Kell back for the first few rounds. As the fight went on, Porter was getting tired and started getting caught by Brook a lot more. I felt Brook definitely deserved it due to landing by far the cleaner punches, Porter looked kind of one dimensional to be honest. At no point did Brook appear to be in any trouble and I'm glad the fight was scored in favour of quality rather than quantity. Not seen the stats but I'm positive Brook would have landed a much higher %.

Brook vs Khan will be a sellout and I reckon Brook is stopping Khan in the middle rounds.

Soldato
Not seen Porter fight before, his energy levels are insane. 'Twas a pretty scrappy fight, and I thought they might have given Porter more points for being the aggressor as they usually say the contender has to earn the win by dominating? Having said that, Brook did land the cleaner shots by far, although it can't have been many in total. Pretty poor fight really but the result was the correct one. The celebration scenes were great! This was first set to take place 18 months ago? Must have been a nightmare period.

He'd easily have the better of Khan, surely?

Soldato
This fight wasn't set 18 months ago, Brook was meant to fight Devon Alexander who was the champion at the time but Brook had to pull out due to injury, then Alexander had to pull out with an injury and then Brook had to pull out once again with an injury so it looked like he'd lost his chance.

Porter ended up taking Alexanders belt, he fought similar in that fight and was able to bully Alexander. He's one of those fighters that it's hard to look good against due to his relentless pressure and aggressive style, but I think Brook fought well and did enough to win the fight.

Khan vs Brook - Khan has the hand speed advantage but Brook is the more accurate puncher. Neither have the best defence but Brook is able to avoid shots a lot better whereas Khan just leaves his chin hanging out. Brook has shown he can take a shot or two, Khan has shown he can't take a shot from 140 lb fighters. At 147, even though I expect Khan to be stronger, I have to favour Brook to win by KO because I expect him to land a few clean shots on Khan's chin. It's a great fight anyway and I can see the winner being given a shot at mayweather.

Permabanned
Just watched the fight... Based on what I have seen of Brook in the past, I thought Porter had the perfect style to ask a lot of questions of Kell and cause him problems. To his credit, Kell handled the pressure really well and deserved the verdict in my opinion. Hats off to the lad, he has worked really hard and persevered through the the last few years when it seemed his time would never come. Hopefully a domestic fight with Khan to follow.

Permabanned
While I doubt it will be a great fight I am intrigued by Hopkins Vs Kovalev. Hopkins is the ultimate 'ring general' and his defensive skills and craft are right up there with Mayweather. Kovalev on the other hand is probably the most brutal puncher I have ever seen so it will be interesting to see if he can trouble Hopkins.

Soldato
Mayweather vs Maidana II tonight. Should be a great fight like the first one simply because Maidana shows no respect to anyone in the ring. If he can maintain the pressure he put on Floyd in the first half of the first fight, right the way through, it should be good.

Soldato
Thanks for the heads up, I would have missed that, only missed the first round. That guy has so much power :eek:

Quigg fight was always going to go one way as the other guy looked half the size. Lovely shot to finish the fight, first real clean shot.

Soldato
Paul Smith trying to take Arthur Abraham's WBO super-middleweight title on SkySports 2 at the mo. Live from Germany.

Can't say I've seen either fighter before (other than Smith being a pundit on Sky) Abraham looks like a beast but he's 34 now. Smith hasn't fought at this level before so interested to see how it pans out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom