*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Don
Your arguing semantics they have not stated they have withdrew the offer or anything else they have just said it will happen at a latter date.
It's not semantics, there's a massive difference between something being postponed and something being cancelled. Postponed would mean that the fight would definitely happen later and there is zero evidence that is the case. Even in articles that you've linked it says that the fight isn't certain to happen now unless they reach an agreement. The whole point of the ordered rematch was that Fury 100% would fight for the WBC title - they either reached a deal, went to purse bids or Wilder vacated.

Unless the WBC come out and say that the fight is ordered to happen next, which is what they did to begin with, then the rematch has been cancelled. You can't have a ordered or mandatory fight at some random point in the future that either party can 'postpone' at the drop of a hat. It kind of defeats the object of ordering a fight ;)

Don
Even with an ordered rematch their is no guarantee the fight will happen as we have just seen. Who has said the fight will never happen?
:confused: Yes, I know because Fury pulled out of it. As I said, the ball was entirely in Fury's court - if he wanted a shot at the WBC title it was there, nobody other than himself stood in his way. Now there is no guarantees that Fury will get that shot again. If Wilder decides he's not fighting Fury then one way or another he can dodge him - a week ago he had a choice of fighting Fury or giving up his title.

Again, I think the fight and the fights with Joshua will eventually happen but I can't see the Wilder-Fury fight this year now unless ESPN offer mega money to Wilder to sign up to them. I'm just not sure how it makes sense for Wilder to fight Fury otherwise. If he loses to Fury, which is very possible if not likely, then his stock plummets and he's getting paid less for all his future fights and most notably the possible Joshua fight. At least if he fought Joshua and lost then there would still be huge demand for the Fury fight.

Permabanned
Thats hasn’t been said all we know is the president of the WBC has said it’s not happening next but he expects it to happen at a later date, that is pretty much the definition of prosponed, otherwise I would have expected him to say that the WBC is no longer enforcing a rematch on Wilder, which he did not. Anyway take it as you want.

But yes it is a disappointment but not really a surprise I fully expected Fury to beat him. You can blame Fury to some extent, but then again he’s just been offered a huge £80 million deal from Espn and would have likely listened to their advice about prosponing a fight with Wilder, to maximise interest and therefore revenue.

It’s no secret that boxing just like all other sports is a business first sport second. Ultimately fans come second to money, like it or not that is the Capitalist philosophy.. Maximise profits and minimise risk.

Espn/Arum know full well fans may well complain but they will still pay for ppv. So what they are doing is making sure they get maximum return for the 80million 5 fight deal, if they feel that putting a fight of until a later will help that, then thats what will happen and you will just have to like it. If you pay for ppv you are essentially incentivising their reasoning for doing it.

As you said you expect fight to happen which what I originally said minus the prospone/cancelled bit. You’ll have to just be patient I guess.

Soldato
Sorry @Doobedoo I'm with @BaZ87 on this one. The fight hasn't been postponed at all. I can't see it being made for some time if at any.

As always with boxing, money has done the talking, robbing fans of the fights they want to see. Its one of the major reasons why I'm turning off from top level boxing. Full of self-proclaimed paper champs who avoid each other for the most part

Permabanned
Sorry @Doobedoo I'm with @BaZ87 on this one. The fight hasn't been postponed at all. I can't see it being made for some time if at any.

As always with boxing, money has done the talking, robbing fans of the fights they want to see. Its one of the major reasons why I'm turning off from top level boxing. Full of self-proclaimed paper champs who avoid each other for the most part
No worries.

I’ll still watch fights I just refuse to pay for them. It is what it is at the end of the day and it’s same with any Corporation or financial institution. They’ll all say it’s about the customer or fan but reality is it’s about money first and foremost and they’ll tell the fan or customer what they need to hear.

Permabanned
Just saw that Whyte might sign with ESPN/Warren/BT. I figured he'd switch to Haymon in aim for Wilder's belt, but I thought that (in the post below) before Wilder became a free agent recently. If Wilder goes with ESPN as many people expect, then Fury/Wilder/Whyte/the rest I named below will be a better stable than what DAZN/Hearn/Sky have. But I wonder if that'll decrease the chances of ESPN-DAZN and Warren/BT-Hearn/Sky co-operation.

IIRC it's:
Hearn: Joshua, Chisora, Takam, Povetkin, Hrgovic, Whyte?*
Warren/Arum: Fury, Pulev, Jennings, Rivas, Ruiz
Haymon: Wilder, Breazeale, Kownacki, Joyce.
(*Whyte may switch platforms (probably to Haymon) if Hearn doesn't offer him a better deal than the one Whyte saw as insulting a few months ago and quickly turned down.)

Last edited:
I will wet myself if big baby stops AJ.. AJ looking a bit thinner since vada testing?

He has been too big, just no need to carry around all that weight. Big baby lol Miller looked terrible the last time I saw him 'box'.

Still if you keep repeating the same old nonsense you might be correct eventually. With your previous predictions I would be too embarrassed to keep posting tbh.

Don
Huge news if it materialises. Hearn had had been talking up the Joshua-Wilder fight a fair bit of late, suggesting he/DAZN will offer Wilder $15m for his next fight and then make the Joshua fight + rematch.

Soldato
Rumours Wilder has turned down DAZN $100m...

Not sure what Wilder is thinking tbh, if he goes to DAZN pretty much dead cert he will get Joshua end of the year or next year... If he goes ESPN then he isn't getting AJ belts...

Associate
Have always rated Mikey, thought he was a proper fighter but I just can't see how he wins tonight, the old adage 'a good biggun beats a good littlun' seems appropriate here, would like to be wrong though.

Caporegime
Rumours Wilder has turned down DAZN $100m...

Not sure what Wilder is thinking tbh, if he goes to DAZN pretty much dead cert he will get Joshua end of the year or next year... If he goes ESPN then he isn't getting AJ belts...
He doesn’t want AJ’s belts. He’s happy sitting on his belt. He got away with blue murder with Fury, now that fights off, he’s gonna be happy to bumble along fighting also rans again.

I’m so disappointed. Money is ruining what could be an exciting heavyweight division. The governing bodies need to get involved and sort it out but they won’t because they’re on the payroll too.

Back
Top Bottom