*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Permabanned
I’m not sure if ducking and having a warriors mentality go together really. I truly believe if Froch wasn’t at the end of his career he would have took the fight no problem. Froch sometimes let his ego get the better of him but he also had a very dry sense of humour, he was a wind up merchant.

I was gutted I didn’t try to get a ticket to the Froch/Groves fight.

Soldato
So, with the conversation seemingly going this way, how about Froch vs GGG?

Weight is tricky, I've seen Froch say before that GGG wanted him to drop too low and I think he said something like he thinks it would be drain him too much. Naturally I think he's too big for GGG though, and if GGG stepped up to 168 I don't think he would hurt Froch tbh. Did Froch ever go lower than 168?

It would be a war no doubt.

Caporegime

Weight is tricky, I've seen Froch say before that GGG wanted him to drop too low and I think he said something like he thinks it would be drain him too much. Naturally I think he's too big for GGG though, and if GGG stepped up to 168 I don't think he would hurt Froch tbh. Did Froch ever go lower than 168?

He came in at 167.9 for the second Groves fight.

agree though, think he’s too big, strong and horribly awkward for GGG. He’d chase him down to a late stoppage imo.

Permabanned

Pretty much agree with everything you say. It’s hard to gauge how good GGG really is/was. He was cleaning out his division easily it seemed until he stepped it up against Canelo. I always said he needed to move up to really show he was great. Never happened and he seemed to stay within his comfort zone rather than truly test himself.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

He came in at 167.9 for the second Groves fight.

agree though, think he’s too big, strong and horribly awkward for GGG. He’d chase him down to a late stoppage imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiEHWy72d3w

Froch himself admitted to swerve GGG like the plague, not saying he was afraid but he definitely knew GGG could hurt him.

Also you're forgetting that GGG past his prime arguably won both fights against Canelo (definitely the first one, 2nd was close but I still edged it to GGG) who is at his peak right now. I do agree its tough to call given the weights and all that. I have no doubt that GGG wanted the big fights but most fighters were just ducking him as he wasnt a big enough name at the time and they wouldnt have got much from it. BJS held the WBO hostage for a while at MW and Canelo could have fought him much earlier.

I just dont think Froch could take a sustained beating from GGG over the course of 12 rounds, and Froch can obviously fight back but my god what a chin GGG has. He took a Canelo shot flush to the face and it looked like it didnt even phase him, and Canelo can definitely punch.

Permabanned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiEHWy72d3w

Froch himself admitted to swerve GGG like the plague, not saying he was afraid but he definitely knew GGG could hurt him.

Also you're forgetting that GGG past his prime arguably won both fights against Canelo (definitely the first one, 2nd was close but I still edged it to GGG) who is at his peak right now. I do agree its tough to call given the weights and all that. I have no doubt that GGG wanted the big fights but most fighters were just ducking him as he wasnt a big enough name at the time and they wouldnt have got much from it. BJS held the WBO hostage for a while at MW and Canelo could have fought him much earlier.

I just dont think Froch could take a sustained beating from GGG over the course of 12 rounds, and Froch can obviously fight back but my god what a chin GGG has. He took a Canelo shot flush to the face and it looked like it didnt even phase him, and Canelo can definitely punch.
Was he talking about himself or Groves? I would say he was directing that at Groves because as I said he was a windup merchant and if you notice he never said I, which is normally an indication someone is talking about themselves, he actually says YOU which again is an indication he would be talking about another, in that instance it would be Groves. You seem to have a fetish with calling boxers duckers just because a fight happens not to get made. Their could be multiple reasons a fight doesn't get made. I mean next your be saying Mike Tyson is ducking Wilder because Wilder talked about beating Mike.

But yeah both had good chins so it would be last man standing. Froch stood upto Groves best and a beating in the first fight but what was scary was the way he came back during the second half and forced a legitimate stoppage imo.

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Was he talking about himself or Groves? I would say he was directing that at Groves because as I said he was a windup merchant and if you notice he never said I, which is normally an indication someone is talking about themselves, he actually says YOU which again is an indication he would be talking about another, in that instance it would be Groves. You seem to have a fetish with calling boxers duckers just because a fight happens not to get made. Their could be multiple reasons a fight doesn't get made. I mean next your be saying Mike Tyson is ducking Wilder because Wilder talked about beating Mike.

But yeah both had good chins so it would be last man standing. Froch stood upto Groves best and a beating in the first fight but what was scary was the way he came back during the second half and forced a legitimate stoppage imo.

Pretty sure it was himself, but im not sure now. Either way its clear he acknowledged GGG's power.

Boxing is a very fickle sport, fights we want to see almost always get made too late or just never happen. They barely fight 2-3 times a year as it is compared with in the past where we got much more fights much more frequently and when fighters were at their peak.

Permabanned
Pretty sure it was himself, but im not sure now. Either way its clear he acknowledged GGG's power.

Boxing is a very fickle sport, fights we want to see almost always get made too late or just never happen. They barely fight 2-3 times a year as it is compared with in the past where we got much more fights much more frequently and when fighters were at their peak.
Stevie Wonder could acknowledge GGG's power he may not see it but he'll damn sure hear it. I just don't think it's within Froch's "warrior" mentality to have ducked GGG. He was at the end of his career, just made a load of money, sold out Wembley and GGG was just coming into his prime. It's a similar situation to Froch talking about Calzaghe, Calzaghe didn't duck Froch he just had better things to do.

Maybe he just was smart enough to do what Muhammad Ali didn't do. We all know how sad it was to see Ali in the condition he ended up in. Give opinions but let's refrain from calling proven warriors duckers.

Last edited:
Soldato
I read an interview where froch said the fight was close but ggg wouldn't nudge on the weight. He wanted froch to drop too low and he basically said it would drain Jim too much. Sometimes fights just don't get made. Doesn't mean someone is ducking someone.

Soldato
Regardless of what goes on in Eddie's garden, I hope we hear some news soon regarding when boxing can resume as normal. Some fighters are missing out on their prime years. Some legends haven't got long left. Manny can't go on much longer, and whilst the Thurman win wouldn't be the worst end to his career, we might be missing out one or two big fights for him to go out with a flourish.
Likewise Lomachenko. He doesn't have long to build his legacy. If he wants to go down as one of the greats, which he obviously does, he can't afford to miss out on fights in his prime years.

Edit - BTW, anyone else seen Morales back chatting **** about Marquez. I'd watch that... 20 years too late but I'd watch it!

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe not worthy in here as I very rarely venture into the sports section. But been a fan on World Strongest Man what do people think of the two strongman fighting? Eddy Hall and Hafthor Bjornsson?

Will be interesting just to see how much power these two can generate punching wise. Should be an ok fight to watch?

Soldato
Maybe not worthy in here as I very rarely venture into the sports section. But been a fan on World Strongest Man what do people think of the two strongman fighting? Eddy Hall and Hafthor Bjornsson?

Will be interesting just to see how much power these two can generate punching wise. Should be an ok fight to watch?

With how muscle bound they probably are these will probably be the stiffest and most telegraphed punches since Ortiz fought Alexander the Great.

Associate
With how muscle bound they probably are these will probably be the stiffest and most telegraphed punches since Ortiz fought Alexander the Great.

:D but on the other hand, imagine a 27 stone smack in the face, they have over a year to train too. Probably will be my first fight I pay for. That must be good for the sport? Or maybe not lol I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom