The official canon 5d mk4 thread

Associate
All the forums I visit are pretty much dying the whole of the ocuk boards are nothing like as busy as they were even 2-3 years ago it's just more noticeable in sub sections like this as a small drop in post hits a smaller community hard. TP is definitely drying up and nothing like the vibrant community it was 2-3 years ago.

It's a shame but it looks like the internet forum format is in decline.

definitely agree, its sad to see. I think its probably facebook groups killing the old format forums :(

Soldato
I'm not sure that's the reason. Look at how little flow there is on TP these days and how little DSLR gear is for sale on there. I think a lot of casual photographers like me have move to other formats. Also this section of forum is dead too for likely the same reason.

Pricing isn't going to help and the pound slump.

They changed the rules on TP recently stopping people who had over 50% of their posts in the classifieds section from actually being able to post in the classifieds anymore! Unfortunately, it's slightly backfired as there's been a really steep drop in used gear for sale on there. Which is a shame.

Soldato
All my beginners kit was bought second hand from forums and it was useful on TP because I could ask about a camera/lens and there would be one in the classifieds to buy, likewise if I wanted to shift kit on there was always a beginner ready to buy something. I didn't have a problem with the 50% ratio introduction as it's designed to stop traders but the minimum post requirements came in just as I was looking to buy a 5d2, I lost interest posting there because it disadvantaged new members who were looking for their next upgrade to progress.

I've considered getting a 5d4, currently got a pair of 5d3's, one has only been used once and is still boxed mint (not even used battery/charger, body only) but the £1k+ it would cost to upgrade I don't think I would make the most of the upgraded features over what the 5d3 is capable of.

Associate
Got to agree with xaldub it is very 2012.
The price is a little OTT.
We have to look at the camera as a stills camera with a little bit of video bolted on and don't get me started on Motion Jpeg, what fool came up with that?

The problem I see is that Smart phones have come a very long way and evolved to what the consumers wants ( well mostly ) and have some very good features.

Now the DSLR market still holds on to very traditional design and ideals. Tech and consumers have moved on a lot to what is to be expected, ie touch screen, WiFi, Blue Tooth, GPS, sharpness, quick AF, fast memory, to name a few.

The likes of Canon and Nikon do not have a smart phone, TV, or computer division to borrow hardware / parts / knowledge to incorporate in to the latest cameras.

Consumers should by now have moveable and touch screens, WiFi, Blue Tooth, and more intuitive menus. Again look at the smart market

The think canon need to address is the sensor as IMO they are behind the competition.

Canon need to either pay SONY to supply the sensors or get their R&D dept to get a crack on !

I would even go as far to say that mirrorless might even be the way forward for DSLR as the bodies are very bulky considering what is not inside them ie what I have stateted above.

The bodies could even be released in different colours as well, especially the lower entry DSLR’s

Soldato
OP
The problem I see is that Smart phones have come a very long way and evolved to what the consumers wants ( well mostly ) and have some very good features.

Now the DSLR market still holds on to very traditional design and ideals. Tech and consumers have moved on a lot to what is to be expected, ie touch screen, WiFi, Blue Tooth, GPS, sharpness, quick AF, fast memory, to name a few.

The likes of Canon and Nikon do not have a smart phone, TV, or computer division to borrow hardware / parts / knowledge to incorporate in to the latest cameras.

Consumers should by now have moveable and touch screens, WiFi, Blue Tooth, and more intuitive menus. Again look at the smart market

The think canon need to address is the sensor as IMO they are behind the competition.

Canon need to either pay SONY to supply the sensors or get their R&D dept to get a crack on !

I would even go as far to say that mirrorless might even be the way forward for DSLR as the bodies are very bulky considering what is not inside them ie what I have stateted above.

The bodies could even be released in different colours as well, especially the lower entry DSLR’s
First of all the 5d4 sensor is as good as sony's now

2nd of all, despite sony making tv's and mobile touchscreen android phones with nice UI etc, there A7 series cameras have poor UI, no touchscreen and no GPS and bluetooth..

Caporegime

These are pro bodies.

A professional don't want anything other than black, I doubt a set of iPhone colours would sell, it is not a fashion statement but a tool. In a similar vein, a lot of features that you have listed have in incorporated into the camera, it has GPS, NFC and a touch screen that does pinch zoom. I mean look at the new Fuji XT-2, that doesn't have touch screen.

The Sony A7R2, great camera, great sensor but lacks dual card slots, which is a deal breaker. It is a bigger deal breaker than a slower read and write card slot.

In terms of AF, i would say it is much faster than all mirrorless competition. The menu on the Canon makes sense, if you read or watch any reviews, the one thing Sony and Fuji cameras get criticise on are their menus, that criticism are never put to Canon bodies.

As for the sensor, it is not a Sony beater, but it is damn close and damn good. It is a VERY good camera body with the best selection of lenses you can buy.

No cameras are perfect, but for work, the 5D4 is just a good solid workhorse camera that I could rely on. It is built like a tank, it is quick to use, there is no boot up time, used market is massive for buying or selling gear. I could get a lens for every focal length for every situations from 8mm up to 800mm. There is Canon CPS membership. Weather sealed lenses, bodies, GOOD battery life. It is just a very good tool.

For a hobby, i would be more than happy with a Sony or Fuji. Short battery life, doesn't matter, you go home and come back. memory card corrupt, it's fine...its only holiday photos. long boot up time, missed the shot...that's fine, it's not a wedding....alright, i might exaggerate a bit here but you get my point. I do intend to get a Sony or Fuji mirrorless as a travel camera but that is exactly it, they are small, and I use it in occasions where i can afford to not take the photo but for work, you can't beat a good DSLR.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom