**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

In another test they did manage to break it - after repeatedly throwing it against a brick wall and repeatedly dropping it onto a concrete floor from various heights up to 7 ft. There are videos on youtube of someone using the screen to crack nuts and using the metal side edge to hammer nails into wood too (it worked fine after both).

Specs aren't bad. Quad core, 2GB RAM, benchmarks put it around a Nexus 5 in performance. Available for about £90-100 from China or £110 from company's spanish warehouse.

There was an issue with the first batch having mislabeled lower capacity batteries (1750 instead of 2250 and Chinese instead of Japanese) put in but I gather Umi and their resellers have ensured that affected customers were given relacements (still Chinese battery although they proudly claim Japanese on their website).

Getting twitchy though. I'd really rather have a smaller phone and might cancel and get a z3 Compact. Reports of Z3 battery life and excellent GPS reception are swaying me.

Last edited:
Umi Zero 2 looks interesting. Dual screen with epaper on one side.

I'd be all over the Iron if it was a little smaller. My current Xiaomi Mi2s is pretty much the perfect size (same as the Z1 / Z3 Compacts) as far as I'm concerned but I managed to screw up the camera's close focus when I replaced a shattered screen and the USB connector is on its last legs after daily use as a satnav for nearly 2 years.

Think my ideal phone would be something like a Xiaomi Mi4 Compact (if such a thing existed).

Cancelled my UMI Hammer order.

Hammer S coming: http://phoneradar.com/umi-hammer-s-details/

Umi Hammer, which was launched earlier this year, has been quoted as one of the toughest devices in the market and now the company teases about an upgraded version of the same. The ‘Hammer S’ which will be the successor of Hammer to come equipped with the Type-C USB port and a fingerprint scanner. The fingerprint scanner will be placed on the rear of the device as seen on the image.

We don’t have the full specifications of the device, but it is expected to include 64-bit MediaTek MT6735 processor clocked at 1.5GHz and 2GB of RAM. It also has 16GB of internal storage with microSD card slot and a battery of 3,200-3,500 mAh capacity. The battery capacity is almost 50% more when compared to the 2,250mAh capacity on Hammer.

The Umi Hammer was launched with MediaTek MTK6732 processor and share almost same specifications as mentioned above. Though it was not officially launched, the Umi Hammer was listed on Flipkart via 3rd party reseller.

The rumour suggests that it will be priced same as the Umi Hammer which is priced at $140. We will let you know if there is any update about this device.

My main concern about whether the Hammer would be suitable for me was the battery. Looks like a hefty upgrade if the rumours are true.

Other sites rumouring an upgrade to 1080p screen too.

Last edited:
Umi have a good reputation for lying about specs, especially the batteries.

I was keen on the Umi Hammer a few months ago when I was looking at Chinese phone options. It seems they lied about the mAh of the batteries but it seems other companies also do this, it's a nice phone otherwise.

There seem to be some nice options out now especially the Vodafone Smart 6 since it is readily available within the UK and also the Meizu which looks nice.

As I said on the previous page. The meizu will be available locally in the UK now with Amazon. So any problems with it, let them know and send it back for a replacement or refund. Happy days. The only three Chinese brands I truly trust are xiaomi, Huawei and meizu.

It's even better as it cuts down the risk of importing and also the wait.

It took about three weeks for me to get my LG from China. The phone itself have several questionable issues but seems like there are others with similar problems in the past.
I think I can live with the issues (still learning about the phone and its features and the apps within).

I was keen on the Umi Hammer a few months ago when I was looking at Chinese phone options. It seems they lied about the mAh of the batteries but it seems other companies also do this, it's a nice phone otherwise.

True - however recent Hammers have had the correct battery capacity - albeit Chinese rather than Japanese as claimed on the website. Replacements were sent out to people that complained about it (I'm not sure if they were sent out to all buyers or not). They gave free IEMs to people affected.

Umi claimed they had been let down by a supplier but they are hardly going to come out and say "we deliberately deceived our customers".

I gather there was also some sort of battery issue with the Umi Zero too but I don't know the details.

Back
Top Bottom