The Official Dell 3007WFP thread (including pictures!)

Associate
heh, theres not even enough room at the mo for that.

its a shame ocuk dont do desks otherwise i could ask here for advice on one :(

ah well, its a good burden anyways :D

Soldato
Elric said:
Absolutely bloody fantastic for playing games on tbh. I was a bit concerned when buying it that I would be moving around the screen due to the size. But after a day or two you get used to it. simply dwarfs my 2405.

What graphics hardware are you using to run it in games? or do you not play at full res ? what res do you use ? Thinking of getting one, but I think my x1900xtx wouldnt play anything much faster than 40fps at the maHoosive res these things produce

Soldato
ajgoodfellow said:
You can set it up to stretch the image to fill the screen at that resolution at the cost of image quality
How do you do this without having the OSD though? I thought the OSD on the 3007WFP consisted of "brightness up and down", and that's it?

Also, how are people actually finding this for gaming? I bought one on a whim without putting a huge amount of thought into framerate issues :( Will X1900XTX Crossfire & 4Ghz+ Conroe cope with it?

Soldato
I don't have that particular monitor but most will default to stretching the image to fill the screen unless you specifically set it up not to

Having said that I would have thought that a 4GHz Conroe with XFired X1900XTX cards wouldn't have a problem with playing games at it's native resolution

Soldato
Has anyone any experiance or opinions of this display compared to the Apple 30" cinema display?

Im looking to upgrade from my 2405 soon and im not sure which option is best, mainly for photo editting and maybe an hour/day Eve online.

Associate
Durzel said:
Also, how are people actually finding this for gaming? I bought one on a whim without putting a huge amount of thought into framerate issues :( Will X1900XTX Crossfire & 4Ghz+ Conroe cope with it?

Find mine great for gaming. Running a e6600 at 3ghx with a x1900xt running it, no problems. :)

Soldato
Hmmm, it's been one year and seven months (April 2006) since I bought my 2405FPW and now I have the chance to sell it (maybe). I'm considering the DELL 30" beast and wondered if anyone else who has switched up from the 24" to the 30" would care to share their experiences with me :)

The thing that makes me hesitate is I wonder what getting games to run at 2560 x 1600 is gonna take in terms of hardware? (Conroe 3GHz/8800GTX?), but on the flipside this screen will be used as my main screen in the lounge for watching TV/DVD etc (So HDCP support could prove handy!) . . . .The 24" is pretty good for watching films but I have a feeling 30" would be a bit better ;)

When sitting at my desk my face is about between 30"-55" away from the 2405FPW, I am wondering what the minimum distance I will need for the 3007WFP?

Lastly will the 3007WFP show text and small writing as sharp/crisp as the 24" monitor does?

Thanks! :)

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Big.Wayne said:
Hmmm, it's been one year and seven months (April 2006) since I bought my 2405FPW and now I have the chance to sell it (maybe). I'm considering the DELL 30" beast and wondered if anyone else who has switched up from the 24" to the 30" would care to share their experiences with me :)

The thing that makes me hesitate is I wonder what getting games to run at 2560 x 1600 is gonna take in terms of hardware? (Conroe 3GHz/8800GTX?), but on the flipside this screen will be used as my main screen in the lounge for watching TV/DVD etc (So HDCP support could prove handy!) . . . .The 24" is pretty good for watching films but I have a feeling 30" would be a bit better ;)

When sitting at my desk my face is about between 30"-55" away from the 2405FPW, I am wondering what the minimum distance I will need for the 3007WFP?

Lastly will the 3007WFP show text and small writing as sharp/crisp as the 24" monitor does?

Thanks! :)

I went 2001FP->2405FPW->3007WFP. An extra 6" doesn't sound like a lot, but in actuality you're going from 2.3million pixels to 4.1million...there's a world of difference.

A friend got jealous (we bought our 2405's together for a discount) and very nearly bought a 3007, but seeing as the 3007 would be his sole screen I convinced him to get a 37" 1080p HDTV instead for far better connectivity. I have a HDTV, and as a dedicated monitor the 3007 reigns supreme.

I play HL2 and Doom engine games in native resolution with everything up (except AA) on stock 4600+/2GB PC3200/7950GT. Dark Messiah runs less good, but that game seems to be bugged to hell. If you have to turn down the resolution the extra pixels would help the scaling I'd have thought.

Viewing distances are down to you and what your eyes can take...the traditional recommendation was 3x the screen diagonal, so about 7.5' (2.5m) for TV-use. That said, I sit with my head probably 1m back from the screen and do not suffer eye/head ache (it is a monitor after all).

The text is better than the 2405. The finer dot-pitch is probably the major reason, but the panel seems better too. Improved blacks and backlight distribution is flawless (after returning one that wasn't flawless).

DreederOcUK said:
Has anyone any experiance or opinions of this display compared to the Apple 30" cinema display?

The 3007 has better specs (contrast ratio and brightness) and is cheaper. I haven't used the Apple though.

Associate
i rma'ed mine on monday because a dark patch in the bottom left hand corner and it came yesterday this new one is a lot brighter and doesn't have the dark patch :)

Back
Top Bottom