The Official Dell 3007WFP thread (including pictures!)

Associate
yeah, if you look back in the thread i posted some screenshots, battlefield 2 and cs:s are both playable on max settings except aa and look great.
hdtv is pretty sweet too

Associate
mine's due to arrive tomorrow, just looking through all the widescreen hacks over at widescreen gamers.
bit worried about dead pixels though - presumably if there's one or two then i can do nothing about it?

Associate
you could try http://udpix.free.fr/, but a single dead pixel would probably be pretty hard to spot out of 4million

i have a 23" HP LCD and didnt notice it had a dead pixel for like 8months and i have good eyes, the dot pitch on the dell is higher too

Last edited:
Associate
Mines developed some really bad backlight bleeds, well the first ones that i have ever had on a flat panel, and they look pretty awful.

Does anyone here know what dells ts+cs are before i send this back? ie is there a minimum amount of backlight bleed before i send this back to them?

Thanks

Permabanned
Just complain and say its unacceptable.

Ive got a replacement monitor on its way as we speak, because of the scratched stand, and the bezel distortion.

Im going to check out the new one before returning the old, so I can choose which is best.

Associate
Is that with dell or that other really cheap place that we're talking about?

Mine was from the cheap place, and they referred me to dell

Will dell want me to send the old one back first?

Associate
That sounds good then, ill get on the phone to them later when im at my computer, really dissapointed really. But something to expect with dell monitors i suppose.

One thing i have noticed with this monitor is that the mouse movement isnt entirely smooth within windows, the mouse cursor seems to jerk around. Im running it on a 7800gt which should be completely fine although im not sure why this is really as it has an 11ms response. Should i set up the refresh rate differently? Could just be a completly b0rked screen

Associate
Hmm maybe, ive got a razor diamondback, and the sensitivity is up high, but it needs to be otherwise it would take a year before the cursor gets from one side of the screen to the other, but it was fine like this on my 2005fpw.

Another thing is the bottom USB port on the left of the screen doesnt seem to be working, although the top one is.

Haha, loads of problems.

Associate
Sorry to hear of your problems mate - mine should come today so i'll report any problems/issues i may have, there may even be some recurring themes. Hope you get yours sorted quickly.

This will be my first TFT after using high end CRTs for years and years so I'm a bit nervous about how I'm going to find it.
Have any of you tried games at resolutions lower than native, does it look ok when it fills the screen or is it better to have it in a window?
Most of the stuff I play at the moment should be OK at native as I'm not playing anything taxing at the moments as I've finished fear, q4, cod2, etc. In fact I seem to be exclusively playing Swat 4 and Tiger Wood 2006 online with my mates so I'm hoping these will be playable at native on a single 7800GTX@490mhz
Bit worried about Morrowind 2 though, lol

Associate
Yeah thanks, hope you have no probs at all, the backlight bleed developed over last night which was really weird as it was completely perfect, ill have to take some piccys of the new one when it arrives.

Ive only tried CSS with my new screen and im getting about 40fps at native, which isnt as bad as expected, but the next res down was something like 1800x1200 (cant recall but it was low) and i had the gfx detail up on max and it looked ok, and ran like a charm so you should have no probs at all with your GTX. Thinking about a 1800XT now, hmmmm

Associate
ok, i'm up and running:)

first impression is that it appears to be a bit difficult to get fonts and things to scale up. i have font size on largest in explorer but it's all still very small writing.

I modded the swat 4 .ini to get the native rez in the game - looks fantastic - but my view lags slightly behind the mouse so it's a bit unplayable until i can solve that one.

pga 2006 quit on me for having 1600 x 1200 selected from before i changed monitors. i went in the options and my only two choices are 800 x something and 1024 x 768. so that's also a problem.

Associate
D3lirious, how are you finding the size of the thing?? It was massive to start off with and now my eyes have got use to it, its great.

I rang up dell and they offered to get me a refurb replacement out to me tomorrow, i said no thanks. But it will be 7 - 10 days until they get me a new one.

Hopefully this will be from a brand new batch without the uniformity issues and other problems (like what ive had).

My mouse is still jerking around a little. I know its not windows being stupid becuase ive jsut re-formatted.

Is this a problem with the monitor, or is my graphics card not fully capable of displaying the native res on desktop??

What do you all think?

Associate
I'm having a different mouse problem - it's smooth in windows but in any game I play at 2560 the view lags slightly behind the mouse movement (MX510).
It's def not the graphics power not being up to scratch because my frame rates are very good, especially in something slightly older like swat 4.
any rez lower and it's fine - could be the monitor? do you have the same?
Other than that, I'm very pleased with the size of the screen - but still haven't figured out how to scale things up in IE without resorting to a lower rez.
I've selected view-->text size-->largest but most sites still only use the top left corner of the screen, with some using the whole left half. Is there some obvious settings I'm missing?
In terms of image quality I haven't noticed any problems as yet, other than the odd small graphical glitch in tiger woods 2006 where a small object may suddenly get drawn in the wrong place for a fraction of a second or the card may even skip a a frame. (the screen once went completely white for a very small fraction of a second - could barely notice it but it happened all the same.
I'm getting the feeling that the circuitry on these 7800 cards, or possibly other makes and models, were not really designed to run games at this rez and so there are very slight issues related to pushing so many pixels - even though in most situations the actual power is there - if that makes any sense.
What's back light bleed btw?

Associate
Have you got a GT or a GTX?

I did have problems in HL, and it was showing 40FPS, but it ran a lot slower, so i formatted and it worked again, but no laggy mouse movement within games im afraid.

You probably have the same problem with my for hl, as you can only have 2560x1600 or 1200X900 (or something like that) the way i fixed that was by creating a custom resolution (which might work for tiger woods too) in the nvidia control panel. I created a 1920x1200 res for hl2 and it runs a charm.

One thing with this monitor though, you HAVE to have the vsync on :)

Do you think that it would be worth upgrading to a GTX to get better performance? Or just wait till the next gen of GFX cards to come out?

Caporegime
How can you physically see all of the thing at once to make use of it? I'm looking at a 20" panel as my next purchase, even the 23" Apples are a bit on the large side as far as I'm concerned.

Associate
Just a thought regarding the mouse lag situation. I had a slight lag on CS:S, but this was due to having 'mouse smoothing' enabled in the in-game settings. Once I disabled it everthing became a lot more responsive.

Ginga

Back
Top Bottom