The official Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Thread

Soldato
The box does indeed have a big A01 sticker on the outside edge so it wouldn't be hard to check when they come in on the pallets or whatever but if you know that you have a mix then it's a lot more work to check every single one as you sell them!

Associate
Unfortunately no. It was very late when I took the pics and I didnt really study them at the time.
I had to pack up the A00 monitor and get it into work to send it back to Dell. When I did get round to looking at the photos the next day, I thought exactly the same thing as you.... should have switched the connections.

The only thing I can confirm is that the A01 is better. It just feels right now. I could tell the input lag was reduced as soon as I moved my first window around the screen.

If you ignore the A00vA01 comparison photo, then I think the other photos show this, as the CRT was plugged into the same DVI slot for both the A00 and A01 test.

Gotta go, work beckons. :(

Hi gazzeroo!

Thanks a lot for the research and the post!!! That info is impossible to get by and it really helps that you tested the A01 input lag against a CRT, I've been looking for some answers for a while.

I need a new LCD, my 2407 revA03 bit the dust during a move (tears) and I need a replacement, unfortunately the input lag on the 2408 bugs me. I loved my 2407 but I did sometimes felt like I was missing shots in FPS games that I was aiming dead on for. Then I realized the 2407 had an average 23ms lag according to TFT Central. So it appears that even for a non hardcore player like me, input lag is a biggie, even at a relatively low level.

So here is my question, some people reported much lower lag using HDMI, even with just an adapter. Any chance you could try and compare the lag on HDMI of your A01 to a CRT? That would bring me closure on wether to give the 2408 a chance or falling back on the 2409W.

Associate
I'm pretty sure I dont have the relevant connections/cables for testing the HDMI capabilities of this screen from my PC.

I have a Sapphire 4870x2 and this only has 2 DVI ports, and I dont have DVI to HDMI cable or adapter.

So sorry rooophy... no can do.

Associate
The box does indeed have a big A01 sticker on the outside edge so it wouldn't be hard to check when they come in on the pallets or whatever but if you know that you have a mix then it's a lot more work to check every single one as you sell them!

and don't forget that no one really wants the A00 version, so they have to sell like this until they are gone from stock

business is not always pretty and sometimes you have to bend the truth to insure the bottom line.

Associate
I'm pretty sure I dont have the relevant connections/cables for testing the HDMI capabilities of this screen from my PC.

I have a Sapphire 4870x2 and this only has 2 DVI ports, and I dont have DVI to HDMI cable or adapter.

So sorry rooophy... no can do.

Ah damn, shame! Well thanks for answering my post anyway. If you ever come across an adapter and cable I strongly suggest you try it for yourself, many people reported improvements in input lag when using HDMI even when using the adapter.

And congrats on the nice card, I use a Sapphire too, although an old X1950XTX, I bet that 4800X2 is a screamer!

Associate
After months of chewing over the options I went for this model and received an A01 Rev this week from OCUK (I can confirm that that box is clearly labelled as A01)

Intial impressions are very positive, but the default settings need some work. I'd be intereted to know what others are using.

Before retiring my old CRT I carried out an Input lag test. Results where as indicated by others at around 32 ms:)

Last edited:
Associate
After fiddling around with the settings on mine for a few days i have gone with brightness 20, contrast 50, and rgb 92/92/95 respectivly. and i also increased the gamma in nvidia control panel aswell as i think blacks are sometimes toooo black. Also on mine there is no backlight bleed what so ever, no lag that i can tell! however, the only thing i have really noticed is that colours (usually blue, can see it mostly on these forums) do seem a tad lighter towards sides of the screen. But its barely noticeable really. Hope this helps :)

Associate
:( there was me singing my new monitors praises, i have just found a dead pixel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NUTS!!! oh well, the lightness towrads the edge of the screen was actually starting to annoy me. now i have a good exscuse to get a new one.!!!

Associate
Is there an easier way of changing between the inputs on the dell 2408? Like some sort of keyboard shortcut? I thought the drivers might have this sort of functionality, but i did not receive a cd with mine and i cant seem to find the frivers on Dell's website... can anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.

Associate
easier than pressing the button a few times on the screen????? ;)

lol... yes i know how it sounds. But i constantly have to switch between two inputs (VGA and DVI-1) and that means 8 presses each time which gets a bit annoying. On my old 2407 the button gave up after about 1 year. Cant fault dell though, they sent me a new 2408wfp to replace it so maybe it not such a bad thing ;)

Man of Honour
Been using this for a few months now. Absolutely LOVE this monitor! Best purchase ever...well, next to my 4870X2 :).

Also, replying to the above, no buzzing here??

Back
Top Bottom