*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
Yeah sub-space comms or what ever can explain it away. I know a lot of people have concerns about the speed of travel within systems, in Frontier, because it took days to get anywhere pirates could attack you safe in the knowledge that if you called for help nobody would come. Since there's no time acceleration anymore, you could call for help and the police turn up in a matter of 30s or so. Whether they allow say comms suppresion upgrades or something like that or not I don't know. Police turning up, at least in core systems might be a good way to deal with griefers. Of course out in the less stable systems you might be on your own, or worse, calling for help might just attract more pirates!

Soldato
You guys should check out X Rebirth from Egosoft whilst waiting for Elite, its due out sometime this year.

http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/screenshots_en.php

I look forward to every X game but I ultimately end up disappointed. I really do hope the developers can improve the quality and execute this game properly form the of, they were close with X3TC which was very good but the late game performance and clunky game mechanics (station placement for example) let it down.

Associate
Really looking forward to this, was worried for a while that they were not going to reach their target.

Really hope this lives up to expectations - the kick starter videos have been good, clearly it's much further along than the lack of videos suggested at the start of the campaign. Played Eve Online for a few years, but as with most people, I just didn't have time to keep at it (spent too long keep POSes supplied) when it felt like a second job.
Did try the X3 that was before the Albion expansion, however I got totally lost in that and had no idea what I needed to do, then didn't have the time to try and figure it out :(

Soldato
Really looking forward to this, was worried for a while that they were not going to reach their target.

Really hope this lives up to expectations - the kick starter videos have been good, clearly it's much further along than the lack of videos suggested at the start of the campaign. Played Eve Online for a few years, but as with most people, I just didn't have time to keep at it (spent too long keep POSes supplied) when it felt like a second job.
Did try the X3 that was before the Albion expansion, however I got totally lost in that and had no idea what I needed to do, then didn't have the time to try and figure it out :(

I think that a lot of the core engine and networking layer work is all done and they need to flesh it out with more content and a lot or art.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I look forward to every X game but I ultimately end up disappointed. I really do hope the developers can improve the quality and execute this game properly form the of, they were close with X3TC which was very good but the late game performance and clunky game mechanics (station placement for example) let it down.

X:Rebirth is meant to be a ground-up re-write and they should be addressing those sort of issues.

Previous X games were a mash-up of addons and community mods which just made the whole thing quite complex.

Last edited:
Don
Astrophysics question. We know you are modelling various star types, planets, moons, asteroid belts and rings. Will you also be modelling any of the following?
Comets
Kuiper belt
Oort cloud
Quasars
Black holes
Protoplanets and protosystems (i.e. star/planet systems in mid-formation with accretion disc of coalescing dust and gas)
Active binary star systems where one star is pulling hot gasses of the other into an accretion disc?
Maybe some of the exotic systems e.g pulsar systems, could interfere with onboard systems e.g. the scanner?

[–]DavidBraben 6 points 3 days ago
Comets - yes
Kuiper belt - yes, to some extent ( though a bit far out to be compelling)
Oort cloud (just an extension of the Kuiper Belt, really)
Quasars - no. These are almost certainly (yes, I know what Harlton Aarp said...) very much extra-galactic bodies, so modelling them within our galaxy would not make sense.
Black holes - yes
Protoplanets and protosystems - yes, ideally.

Active binary star systems where one star is pulling hot gasses of the other into an accretion disc? - yes, as it is a graphical spectacular. I think the nearest is Beta Lyrae (wanted to include this in Frontier, but time ran away with me...)

Pulsars - yes - I hope so as these can affect gameplay too, but there is not one terribly nearby...

With all of these, some may or may not make first release, but I want to see most at some stage...

This will be awesome if they pull this off.

Soldato
Im still thinking about how space travel will work in Elite and SC. One of the 'fun' things you could do in Elite was to see a sun in the distance, set your ship for full burn, and fly there. No jumps etc. Also useful when you ran out of juice, scooping was one of my fave things. Is this going to be totally freeform travel? If I was so bloody minded could I spend two days flying somewhere I could jump in a heartbeat?

Don
From everything I've read it will effectively be the original Elite's flight model but in a full scale galaxy. Hyperspace jumps between star systems, then use of a jump drive to move about the star system at insane speeds, so you'll get that effect of say targeting Earth on arrival and then see the sun get bigger and bigger, maybe hurtling past Jupiter on the way and then Earth growing from a dot to filling your screen, all in the matter of a minute or so.

Soldato
Yes that was posted earlier, but still awesome to watch again.
And I hate you for posting it again because it just makes me realise we have an entire year to wait (at least) before we see this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom